Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:54

Tel wrote:I'm kinda surprised Iori's Kuzukaze stun time is so short. You can link it with a far C, but it must be done immediately upon regaining control of Iori. Be late by even half a second, and opponent can block it. Kinda risky to use in the open now.

Iori may be nerfed, and he feels clumsy (controls wise) compared with 2k2, but he's still one of my serious characters, mainly because I can beat out a lot of jump-ins with his jump D. Even top tier characters like Eiji, Oswald, Kula and Jenet can't match Iori's jump D if you do it in response to an opponent jump-in.
Don't forget his Stand Far D and Down D. I am not sure why, but I noticed Iori does a lot of damage with his fireballs or Jump, Stand C/D jabs... compare that to Duckking or Duolon.... not talking about combos, but just normal attacks and fireballs..

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sat Mar 04, 2006 22:06

Iori has been beat with the nerf stick.

Because of the nature of the game, Iori no longer has the ability to use the system to his advantage. Hops land faster, and therefore it makes spamming hops with random buttons to stuff jump attempts a thing of the past. His Scum Gale, as many people have pointed out, is no longer scrub-friendly, and again, his far C into whatever is much much trickier to do (thank god).

I'd like to dispute the usefulness of the Saika. I've seen my friend hit with this thing against decent players fairly often. If you have the lightning quick reflexes to see a jump (much like my friend has done because of the massive amounts of SHEN WOO PUNCHing he has done) you can use this to pretty much shut down their ability to jump high. It's horrible for hops, but Iori still has a solid enough defense to stop hop whores.

Otherwise yeah, he seems to be the kind of character people who are too damn adamant about giving up would use this year. There are better options, but in no way does he suck, you just gotta try harder for the same results you got from scrubbing him in 2k3. :grin:

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Thu Mar 09, 2006 14:14

Iori feels like a ps2 beta test this year.

Meaning, i bet you something will get changed for the ps2 ver, haw :P

I think the Saika needs to be redone somehow...I actually am NOT minding the KOF MI2 incarnation, where you can do it as part of the Ya Otome, or independantly on it's own, seems like it'd be more useful that way. The XI ver is the same, ok, but meh...it's like eating vanilla ice cream without any topping.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Mar 09, 2006 19:47

Meh. Guess I'm the only one then, who *much* prefers XI Iori to 2k3 Iori. Yes, he lost the incredibly broken wakeup game. But in return, he regained priority on the jump D (go play against K' and Jhun in 2k3 and see what I mean), hcb+K does more damage (like in 2k2... from a design standpoint, it makes a lot more sense than having Aoi Hana and Koto Moon do the same damage), uppercuts gained priority, fireball recovers *faster*, C Aoi Hana gained range on the first hit (no more, wtf, far stand C> C Aoi Hana missed), first hit of f+A can be comboed into super again, scum gale gained a bit of invulnerability back, overhead is faster.

To anyone who prefers 2k3 Iori, go play a strong Jhun. I didn't like 2k3 Iori, because overall, as a character, in terms of priorities and stuff , he *did* suck. It was only the incredibily stupid wake up game that kept him strong.

XI Iori makes a lot more sense in general. All the moves *do* what they're supposed to do. Certainly a more complete and better balanced character than 2k3 Iori was.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Fri Mar 10, 2006 01:32

AcidicEnema wrote:Meh. Guess I'm the only one then, who *much* prefers XI Iori to 2k3 Iori. Yes, he lost the incredibly broken wakeup game. But in return, he regained priority on the jump D (go play against K' and Jhun in 2k3 and see what I mean), hcb+K does more damage (like in 2k2... from a design standpoint, it makes a lot more sense than having Aoi Hana and Koto Moon do the same damage), uppercuts gained priority, fireball recovers *faster*, C Aoi Hana gained range on the first hit (no more, wtf, far stand C> C Aoi Hana missed), first hit of f+A can be comboed into super again, scum gale gained a bit of invulnerability back, overhead is faster.

To anyone who prefers 2k3 Iori, go play a strong Jhun. I didn't like 2k3 Iori, because overall, as a character, in terms of priorities and stuff , he *did* suck. It was only the incredibily stupid wake up game that kept him strong.

XI Iori makes a lot more sense in general. All the moves *do* what they're supposed to do. Certainly a more complete and better balanced character than 2k3 Iori was.
Not disagreeing with you. I never said XI Iori was bad either, i just said he feels like a beta test, as in they didn't have time to finish tweaking or something. It just feels way way odd for him to have strong normals and weaker specials.

f+A could always be comboed into super tho, even in 2k3. Just the timing was stupidly modified there is all, but it works. SNKP have so far had a history of 'fixing' things for the PS2 port, so lets see if they fix the 'beta version' feel when this is out.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Mar 10, 2006 03:44

Shirakani wrote:Not disagreeing with you. I never said XI Iori was bad either, i just said he feels like a beta test, as in they didn't have time to finish tweaking or something. It just feels way way odd for him to have strong normals and weaker specials.

f+A could always be comboed into super tho, even in 2k3. Just the timing was stupidly modified there is all, but it works. SNKP have so far had a history of 'fixing' things for the PS2 port, so lets see if they fix the 'beta version' feel when this is out.
Nah, I didn't like Iori much in 2k3. He was damaging, but very awkward to use compared with 2k2. His special moves damage is toned down in XI, but his normals are more effective. Though I can't say I like him very much in XI, I still pick Iori for serious matches, because I win a lot of jump-ins with him. He's arguably my best air-to-air character in the game.

And thank goodness f+A > Maiden Masher timing is back to 2k2 standards. The one in 2k3 was a nightmare to get right, more so when you can't use shortcuts for DM commands in 2k3.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Fri Mar 10, 2006 18:09

AcidicEnema wrote: first hit of f+A can be comboed into super again, scum gale gained a bit of invulnerability back, overhead is faster.
huh? what do you mean again? was there a version that didnt allow Iori to:

1) Stand C,

2) down B, down A,

3) down B, stand B,

foward A into Rush DM?

hmm... Don't think so yah?

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 21:29

AcidicEnema wrote:Meh. Guess I'm the only one then, who *much* prefers XI Iori to 2k3 Iori. Yes, he lost the incredibly broken wakeup game. But in return, he regained priority on the jump D (go play against K' and Jhun in 2k3 and see what I mean), hcb+K does more damage (like in 2k2... from a design standpoint, it makes a lot more sense than having Aoi Hana and Koto Moon do the same damage), uppercuts gained priority, fireball recovers *faster*, C Aoi Hana gained range on the first hit (no more, wtf, far stand C> C Aoi Hana missed), first hit of f+A can be comboed into super again, scum gale gained a bit of invulnerability back, overhead is faster.
The only two things Iori has going for him is the jump D priority and the dp + A/C priority.

In 2k3...

- f + A could always be cancelled from (with or without a 2-in-1).

- Scum Gale has less invulnerability - I've hit an Iori who woke up with the Scum Gale in XI out of it with a std A (i.e. you can't '98 it and use it as anti-everything). It doesn't seem to be changed all too much.

- std C into C Aoi Hana hardly ever had that "miss" problem you're talking about, and as others pointed out, it's no longer wtfeasy to do whatever after a connected Scum Gale.

- Because of the nature of 2k3's system, crackwhore jumping with random normals (well not random, but you know, random looking) was highly effective with Iori, he had good air to air with his other buttons, and it's not like Iori's other buttons suck, cos they don't. He pretty much had a button for every air to air situation out there, and even had (and still does have) air-to-ground options that some characters lack.

All in all, XI Iori just feels "fixed". I still don't understand what's so A-class about him in XI, cos IMO people who put Iori in their XI teams are only selling themselves short of better characters, and I'm not even talking about the Unholy Three. :grin:

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sun Mar 12, 2006 18:59

The only big problem for Iori in this game is that...

He sucks as a QS starter and is only an ok QS finisher.

If someone has been using Iori extensively over the years and is using him in XI, he is banking on beating you with experience.

Yes. An experienced Iori user can still put up an awesome fight. Someone who is able to utilise 90% of a A or B ranker can still beat someone who can utilise 60-70% of a S ranker. Don't even bother to mention about the lower ranks. XD

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Sat Mar 25, 2006 20:13

Vice Vecta wrote:Confirmated: Saika after Maiden Masher CAN be connected. However, requires a precise timing. BTW, it doesn't cancel or anything, just can be connected (and forget the scratching animations).
hmm, still cant get it to hit.... can anyone confirm that it actually connects?

hmm, just found out you still can combo into your command grab.... yes you heard it here first! :wink:

down A, command grab connects!

jump (cross over) B, down A, command grab registers a 3-hit combo!

I used to do this heaps in 2k2 and thought it didnt work anymore in XI.. oh well, have fun combo-ing! 8)

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 07:02

Something tells me damage scaling rapes that combo tho.

But then again, Iori gets raped pretty badly from damage scaling. I still think he's B+ tier, only because the damage scaling HATES Iori so much.

And yeah, we're still trying to figure out which button of the Saika to hit with it after the Maiden Masher and WHEN exactly to do it. So far all we've been able to do is look stupid after whiffing it. :D

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Wed Mar 29, 2006 13:39

I think it only connects in the corner. I did it in the corner, but outside of that, Iori just stares at the ground and the opponent is standing in front of him. =P

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Wed Mar 29, 2006 18:07

Shoto Iori is pretty effective in XI :/

Jump B still has the priority

So Iori is still g00t :/

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Thu Mar 30, 2006 03:13

PenPen wrote:I think it only connects in the corner. I did it in the corner, but outside of that, Iori just stares at the ground and the opponent is standing in front of him. =P
the grab combo that I mentioned can be done anywhere. tested by yours truely
8)

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:05

Derrick wrote:
PenPen wrote:I think it only connects in the corner. I did it in the corner, but outside of that, Iori just stares at the ground and the opponent is standing in front of him. =P
the grab combo that I mentioned can be done anywhere. tested by yours truely
8)
Err I meant the Saika. Sorry to confuse you by not stating it beforehand. XD