Iori Yagami (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Thu Mar 30, 2006 20:06

Jhun: Yeah, Iori's reduced to Shoto-ing to be effective. But that's what happens when you make the stage length HUGE and his Demon Scorcher higher priority. Don't forget his Maiden Masher has 98-style startup invulnerability.

It's not the jump B that I'm worried about. That's always been annoying to beat. What bothers me is the effectiveness of his jump D, it can be used like his 98 jump D - i.e. damn impossible to beat. :(

Pen: Yeah, we're trying to figure out the timing for his sneeze. I'm pretty sure it's a corner only combo, so how exactly do you hit with the Saika? Do you use the A or C version? Do you wait, or do the input immediately? Can the opponent AB recovery roll before you hit them with it? Is it even an OTG?

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Mar 31, 2006 17:20

Yup, jump D is very tough to beat here. It's for this reason alone that Iori's in my serious team.

BTW, I can't be sure, but it seems like his f+A (1st hit) is cancelable if blocked. I keep eating his Aoi Hana every time I try to punish my opponent after blocking this and my opponent didn't perform the 2nd hit.

Also, qcb+K dashes lot slower now, and the recovery isn't as insanely fast as 2k3/NGBC either. But the damage is pretty high now.

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Fri Mar 31, 2006 18:33

You don't have to beat it. Even though its good in the air, its terrible air to ground. Most people here tend to just force Iori to jump then...do nasty things on him.

Which is why even though he still is pretty good playing rushdown...his low damage makes that style unfavourable compared to his much more effective shoto style :S

Gotta admit though, his hopC is great once opponent is cornered, or on an incoming opponent after a DOWN. Its really easy to mix in throws after hopCs as well because...he recovers so insanely fast from the jump (sorta like eiji and to a lesser extent, kasumi)

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Sun Apr 02, 2006 07:33

Iie-Kyo wrote:Pen: Yeah, we're trying to figure out the timing for his sneeze. I'm pretty sure it's a corner only combo, so how exactly do you hit with the Saika? Do you use the A or C version? Do you wait, or do the input immediately? Can the opponent AB recovery roll before you hit them with it? Is it even an OTG?
It didn't seem to be that hard to connect for me in the corner, just do the move after he blasts the opponent away, and is free to move around. The blast is a juggle, just that I think only the sneeze can connect.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:04

Which button do you use? D:

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sun Apr 02, 2006 16:12

Yeah, I have problems getting his qcf,qcf+P DM to land after his Ya Otome as well. I normally pull it off the moment Iori blasts his opponent. Is there any specific timing needeD?

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Sun Apr 02, 2006 16:57

Iie-Kyo wrote:Which button do you use? D:
A button I think. I haven't used Iori for a while (at least I don't try to have him sneeze) so I don't really remember. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow, I guess.

4gotten_kazama
Charging...23%
Charging...23%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by 4gotten_kazama » Wed Apr 19, 2006 18:27

I seriously need help cause hes on my main team and I dont hve any super cancel combos besides his dp so can someone help me out please also
some extended no stock combos someone let me know peace

End Transmission

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 20:39

Iori doesn't have super cancel combos that are good. The only reason why Iori still can do well is he has solid normals and specials.

New DM combo! Instead of std C, fwd + A, Maiden Masher, try do his Saika instead! C version. The damage is actually pretty good, considering how shit his damage is if you use his Maiden Masher. As long as you can get the std C and the f + A to hit, you will hit with the sneeze, even tho it doesn't look like it. Also, this is a GREAT way to bait a save shift. People will try to saving shift off the f + A, and WHAM the end up eating Orochi snot.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Tue May 16, 2006 17:22

Thread necromancy. *riiiize, fwom ur gwave...*

Just found out something today. Everyone's going Iori's LDM sucks coz it can't combo anymore, therefore it's worthless bla bla...

Is it just me, or does it have a CRAPLOAD of invincibility on startup?

I had a little luck today while messing round vs the CPU. Did the move against Kula, who did the freeze execution...and when the LDM flash for Iori happened, Diana was prolly || that far away from hitting. One would normally expect the FE to hit, but no, it went right thru Iori and Kula got wasted with it.

Next 'bit of luck', i tried to do it on an incoming Oswald after a down. Oswald threw a standing A...the hit passed right thru Iori and bam, Oswald got wasted.

I'm not too sure exactly WHEN the invincibility window is. I don't think that on the FIRST frame it has any, but the startup is not *THAT* slow...it's slow enuf to be worthless in combos but otherwise....If it really does have nearly full body invincibility on startup then i think it's value just went up like hell...

Maybe now you're supposed to use this LDM as a DEFENSIVE COUNTER of sorts? Iori is GOING to get pressured onto the defensive, esp vs the ungodly three...esp a Gato...Now what if you could use his LDM like KOF97 Ya Otome and whack him with it?

Iori charges meter pretty fast with his moves...so using the LDM as a defensive move rather than a combo offensive move somehow makes a bit of sense. If you couple this with the high damage the move does as a counter hit...suddenly the LDM doesn't suck quite as much anymore.

I'm not sure tho, i don't have a punchbag buddy here with me and won't have one for a while, so can anyone like....get a friend and test SPECIFIC moves against this?...Like say, pick Kyo and do the Orochinagi and use Iori's LDM to try and go thru it or something.

Be damn good if this was correct, coz it'd actually give a leader Iori something for ppl to be wary of. Can't go all out against him if you're goin to eat a powerful counter.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Wed May 17, 2006 06:26

Shirakani:

If what you're saying is true, I'm just about to head out to the arcade to test it out. I'll make him leader and see if it's correct. Its application would be somewhat similar to Ryo's LDM outside of a combo now. Ryo's LDM has shit speed, but it still has pretty decent invincibility - you might be able to cap someone with its invincibility if they do a move that keeps them "there" for a few extra frames. If Iori is just the same, then yeah, his LDM would be pretty awesome.

I'll let you guys know.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Wed May 17, 2006 07:21

Yeah, try to use it ala Kasumi's LDM, like that, and see what happens. Coz if the startup frames have full body invincibility...then his LDM just automatically got a CRAPLOAD better.

I'd like to try it vs specific moves, but i don't have anyone here, nor do i have my XI board atm...it's borrowed for a couple weeks :-(

Ermac666
Is it a bot?

Post by Ermac666 » Wed May 17, 2006 08:15

Iori's LDM is effective in quick shift combos. Kula and Iori make a great team. After kula's qcb+B->F+D->quick shift to Iori and do his LDM while the opponent is still in the air.

I can see why they did not let his LDM be comboable from normal attacks. With that improved invincibility, it would be too powerful if he could do that KOF 2003 combo after that F+a,a. *shrugs*

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Wed May 17, 2006 12:01

That invincibility is only worth something if it worked like the Ya Otome in KOF97, ie, had some sort of a 'vacuum' effect so it stays 'in place' while the opponent's attack misses, THEN hits.

If Iori steps thru/past his opponent the whole time it's still half worthless. When i got lucky, there was at least a character distance between Iori and his opponent.

Need to do more testing on this....blah, weekend get here already so i can go to the arcade... :-(

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Wed May 17, 2006 18:41

I can see why they did not let his LDM be comboable from normal attacks. With that improved invincibility, it would be too powerful if he could do that KOF 2003 combo after that F+a,a. *shrugs*
Heh, that'd actually give him an even better chance against The Unholy Three if they gave him 2k3 speed. Imagine that. :P

Now that you mentioned it, I totally forgot the fact that this thing can juggle. Sounds like a pretty nice setup off of say - Ryo's C Zanretsuken to be able to do Iori's LDM, eh?

But in regards to the invincibility. I got psychic stuffed out of it by Mary by her jump D. I just ran up to her, did the LDM to see what it'd stuff and I ate a super early jump (or hop?) D to the face. I'm wondering if I ate this jump D because it stuffed the initial startup of the LDM or because the LDM just has no invincibility.

Shion also smacked me out of it (I was simultaneously testing the Ryo - Barnessar infinite setup so I kinda forgot about trying Iori, heh heh) when I tried to do it on her after predicting a spear. I think I got hit a little after Iori "reared back" for the LDM.

I guess more research needs to be done - next time I'll be going is on Friday.