Ryo Sakazaki (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Fri Jul 28, 2006 04:28

Uh no. Close Stand C> LDM works fine. I feed my family by doing it consistently.

See the discussion in the last 1-2 pages for clarification.

Vastago
Charging...69%
Charging...69%
A.K.A.:inb4 lol
Currently Playing:KOF 2k2 UM & BB CS
XBL:hecrob

Post by Vastago » Sat Jul 29, 2006 08:03

So yeah... today i challenged this guy that uses Gato, Oswald and Duo lon... he is extremely strong....

im having a lot of trouble with any opponent @_@ it seems that when they jump no matter what they do... if im close enough ill eat whichever attack they use @_@

normally on kof 2002 they will eat a poke but in XI i end up eating everything @_@

what am i doing wrong ?? my ryo is being slaughtered by this gato player.... and OMG! duo lon is very strong =S help!!

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Sat Jul 29, 2006 08:06

There's a thread specifically for anti-character matchups...
http://kingoffighters.planets.gamespy.c ... .php?t=977

Makashi_Menace
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Makashi_Menace » Sun Sep 03, 2006 14:13

Ryo is really good this year.

Both DMs do very good damage.

His Fwd-Bk-Fwd Punch move does great damage due to the fact that damage scaling doesn't really affect it much, and the C version of that move is excellent for QS comboes.

His Dwn/Stand B is excellent for poking, and most of his moves deal good stun too!

In fact, he works almost too well when you put him into the same team as King. Talk about couple-power, eh? LoL!

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:59

Many fighters this year got their stuff and combos VERY hitconfirmable now. I think it was never this easy in KoF before.
This is ok because we had the old way for 10 years.

Ryo though really didn't hit the dojo as frequentliy as the other guys, it seems. He suffers from relatively bad hit-confirmability this year where everybody else can combo more hit-confirmable than ever.

I still have trouble how to play him. I acknowledge that this is the best Ryo ever but still I can't find my gameplan with him in KOFXI.
I don't even find hop.D as unstoppable as I assumed it to be.... It takes a moment until the kick comes out and what? You gonna hop.D all the way? This doesn't lead anywhere unless opp. has no stocks and is in corner maybe.
Due to the pretty bad hit-confirmability you can't occassionally go to a combo string because what would you do? You can do any C to f+A but come on.... Going for c.B, c.C is risky and takes a good eye to judge the distance. Because if you do jump or hop D a little too late you can hit c.B but c.C will miss which leaves you open for a counter. You could also do c.B, c.A xx hcb+K but this is risky too and barely hit-confirmable, either.
Again: if you hit the jump/hop D a little too late (deep) then c.B will connect but c.A probably wouldn't and if it still does I find myself missing the hcb+K then..... Ryo really depends on landing 1-2 heavy BnBs to do some damage I think. Of course if you get j.D, c.B, c.C xx qcf+C then the enemy eats about 1/3 stun bar and a big chunk of damage. Even more if you get the LDM to hit.....
But it is all very unstable. I find myself pretty unsystematically spam normals and stuff. No reliable patterns.

Some pointers for me?

In the videos it also doesn't seem very spectacular what a Ryo does.
Some very good reflexes to land the LDM or a BnB and poking with B button. Sometimes a (imo not as godly as assumed) jump.D
That can't be all of his options?!?!

Oh and can anybody please tell me about his qcb+P?
I know about the juggle possibilities of qcb+A. Both are SC-able but cannot be comboed into on the ground and take ages to come out.... What do I do with these moves?

The new special, the beer bottle chop (whatever.... i mean the hcf+K) has no use either, has it? It is fast, yes but that's about it. I wouldn't dare spamming it at half screen distance and it definately isn't hot for combos....

:-(

I get a little bit frustrated about my Ryo. He can be very nice but SO much depends on landing that 1-2 BnBs..... Which he doesn't have reliably enough tools for to set them up.

--Blast

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Mon Sep 18, 2006 13:52

qcb+A is mainly for the autoguard and relatively safe recovery if blocked, but I can't think of a reason to use it in a frantic matchup as well.

hcf+K is fast, and fairly hard to punish if done at a distance. It's pretty safe on block, but has crappy priority, so again, it's not a very good move as well.

I kind of skipped out on Ryo as well in XI. He's solid, and like you said, better than any previous KOF version, but he doesn't have anything special even if he has no major weaknesses. Ryo has a lot of options, but few really useful ones. His new guard crush punch sounds good on paper, but it's rather slow to start (as expected) and has awfully short range too. At least Takuma's 2k2 Haoh Shikou Ken was a Counter Wire, so if it traded hits, you still get to followup.

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Mon Sep 18, 2006 16:07

Tel wrote:qcb+A is mainly for the autoguard ....
Full-Autoguard or only high? C version also has the autoguard but has even more startup but at least some longer reach, right? I'm pretty certain that the autoguard is not very good.... in NGBC it was, here I fail to autoguard properly with it.
Tel wrote:hcf+K is fast, and fairly hard to punish if done at a distance. It's pretty safe on block, but has crappy priority, so again, it's not a very good move as well.
Ok thanks for confirming ;)
Tel wrote:I kind of skipped out on Ryo as well in XI. He's solid, and like you said, better than any previous KOF version, but he doesn't have anything special
Yeah, seems we came to the same conclusion.... Interesting. I prepare for a tournament and I have to get my Leader ready VERY quickly now. I confided in Ryo but it seems he doesn't live up to my expectations.....
Tel wrote:His new guard crush punch sounds good on paper, but it's rather slow to start (as expected) and has awfully short range too. At least Takuma's 2k2 Haoh Shikou Ken was a Counter Wire, so if it traded hits, you still get to followup.
To be honest? I've seen Takuma's Haoh Shikou Ken only being connected maybe 2-3 times in my ENTIRE KOF2k2 'career'. Including match videos of course! So I don't think this move doesn't rock toooo much anyway ;)

--Blast

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Mon Sep 18, 2006 21:36

i dont agree with you at all, Ryo is my leader and i can beat a hole team with him with 5 stocks,
hcf+K B shorter than D: this move is hard to punish and surprise the opponent if you dont spam it, use it to close the distance between your opp and you, many players dont expect it at all and dont expect to be hit bc of the distance, you can Qs but you need a good Qs to hit after and good reflexes.(dont spam it and you wont know that it has crappy pryority bc i didnt know that)

qcb+P I had the same problem at the begining i had no clue about how to use this move, now i know so do you: empty E ancel into qcb+A or C, A vers will hit strait away c vers will punish the opponent if he try to hit you again dont spam it.another use is if the opponent press E when he's blocking a move like: c.C>(opponent press E)qcb+C > SC haoshokoken A vers or leader.

ryo doesnt have flashy bullsh*t, he is here to kick ass that all

the guard crush move is godly when you know HOW and WHEN to use it.
Ryo is leader you kill the opp in corner, what you have to do is time the D version of the guardcrush(B version doesnt guardcruh on 1 hit) to hit the incoming character then cancel into LDM. the next stpe is to finish your next action with f,b,f+A(A version make the oppoent slide so no quickroll)then you time the guardcrush move to hit the wakingup chara then SC or DreamC.againt if you do it to much against some one in an afternoon it wont work any more bc they is way to avoid some of those trap.

dp A against grounded opponent action dp C against jumping bunny.

about the complain with the hop D, his hop D is descent but there is no use to spam it bc your opponent will read you and punish you so do hop D>hop D> C>hcfB and next time you do a hop D you follow it with empty jump dwnB>dwn.C>LDM or whatever.

and dont forget to use his parry, this time they are usefull at close range and you can follow the 1st parry with a second one.

the key with ryo is to know what to use and when to use it.His style is karate and in karate you dont do +10hits on someone your opponent will be on the floor after the 2nd or 3rd hit.
hope those few note will help you blastrezz and thanks for your video server.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Tue Sep 19, 2006 15:11

I haven't hit the arcades in quite a while, so this was tested in 2k3. qcb+C has autoguard, qcb+A doesn't. It's only high/mid level autoguard from my testing so far.

AFAIK, qcf+K is pretty hard to punish, but it's only useful as an advancing move if you know your opponent is going to block. I guess you're supposed to mix his qcb+P and qcf+K for advancing, with one for punishment capabilities if it hits (or autoguard), and the other launching and recovering quickly, but has little priority to speak of. BTW, the hitbox for qcf+K is smaller than qcb+P, so it's not very good to nail jumpers with. Using either move against a hop-happy character is still going to be suicidal though. Personally, if I wanted a screen advancement move, I'd use his dp+K or hcb+K, since both these move can nail jumpers.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Tue Sep 19, 2006 23:05

Tel wrote:I kind of skipped out on Ryo as well in XI. He's solid, and like you said, better than any previous KOF version, but he doesn't have anything special even if he has no major weaknesses. Ryo has a lot of options, but few really useful ones.
This is the reason why Ryo is a solid character and always has been a solid character since... well... forever. As has been stated many times before, his even matchup with a majority of the cast means you don't have the "oshit, he picked the character that counters my character" syndrome that a lot of other characters face. He's a reliable 4-6 vs. 4-6 matchup against most characters, which also allows him to fend for himself if needed be.

His only major weakness (from what I can see) ispure keepaway characters. Since Ryo has only a couple of moves that can hit you from afar (dp + D, Haoh Sho Kohken), if a player knows how to run away from you you'll have some trouble closing the gap.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Wed Sep 20, 2006 04:45

The problem with Ryo is that while he's solid, he doesn't quite fit anywhere, be it rushdown, turtling, or zoning, and his combo capabilities are basic. While the damage is far from bad, he doesn't have anything to QS out of besides the Zanretsu Ken, so most combos end with Ryo. Ryo is jack of all trades, master of none. He's a damned good character for simplicity's sake however, and whenever I feel I need a simple, no-frills character over flashy combos, I'd pick Ryo, Silber and Adel.

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Wed Sep 20, 2006 16:28

Tel wrote:The problem with Ryo is that while he's solid, he doesn't quite fit anywhere, be it rushdown, turtling, or zoning, and his combo capabilities are basic. While the damage is far from bad, he doesn't have anything to QS out of besides the Zanretsu Ken, so most combos end with Ryo. Ryo is jack of all trades, master of none. He's a damned good character for simplicity's sake however, and whenever I feel I need a simple, no-frills character over flashy combos, I'd pick Ryo, Silber and Adel.
I think you can turtle with ryo if you can use his parries, i think ryo is a Qs finisher, i use him only as a leader and he is always last. I dont have problem dealing with rushdown and turtles but the keep away is his weakness when the time run out. the only way i found is to lock my opponent whith his poke far B , dp and dwn.B>dwn C if they roll.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:14

Honestly (and I know I'll get flamed for saying this) Ryo's parries are seriously overhyped.

They'll never be anywhere as good as SF3 parries are for the simple reason that they don't give Ryo a frame advantage, nor do they freeze the screen for control inputs. In fact they're not even as good as CvS2 Just Defends, even if they didn't give life+meter and weren't doable in the air. The fact that they have an animation, unlike parries and JD's which don't unless they connect, also mean that they are much riskier to use- and are much less rewarding.

The parries have a very limited use, and those are match up specific- Ash Ball, etc. For everything else, just DP/LDM that shit.

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:14

AcidicEnema wrote:Honestly (and I know I'll get flamed for saying this) Ryo's parries are seriously overhyped.(....)
The parries have a very limited use, and those are match up specific- Ash Ball, etc. For everything else, just DP/LDM that shit.
I won't flame you :D Because you are right.
Of course the parries are better than ever that's true but still VERY risky. One wrong guess and you may eat BIG time damage.
Moreover you don't gain life: in case you haven't noticed yet you LOSE life while parrying with Ryo because it count's like an autoguard move. I don't know if it's for everybody but think about Ralf Galactica Phantom which was sometimes abused for combo videos where he get's pummeled during the autoguard frames and loses life and then the combo on Ralf is continued somehow.

For Ryo specific try to parry complete Magaki LDM. I did it vs. CPU and it lost me a lot of life. I think it's even as much as I would've received as guard damage....

--Blast

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Thu Sep 21, 2006 14:45

Unfortunately, parrying IS blocking without the blockstun, so you still take full chipping damage anyway, except your Guard Meter doesn't go down. You actually parried the entire animation of Magaki's LDM?! Wow, how many times did you have to parry, or did it simply autoguard the entire move?