Ryo Sakazaki (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Fri May 12, 2006 06:13

~!T.T!~ wrote:actually that clark player lost because he thought the ryo player was about to tech roll, so he timed his fwd B to get him just as he wakes up (and hopefully snuff out a dp A/C at teh same time). thing is, the ryo player didn't tech, so clark's stomp completely whiffed and ryo got free supercancel to LDM.....very smart play
I don't know, in such tense tournament play, I don't think I would have attempted the f + B overhead against a Ryo. After knocking down a Ryo and getting them down to a life amount lower than yours (especially in a situation like in that SBO vid), the pressure is on Ryo to hit you, and Ryo doesn't do well if you don't attack him. I honestly think the Clark player got too comfortable with his life lead and did the overhead attempt because of the lead, thinking it'd be an "easy" way to kill him.

Not sure about Ryo's dp + C priority against that f + B though, but yeah, choosing not to recovery roll was smart on the Ryo player's part too.

Violent Ryo
Charging...35%
Charging...35%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Violent Ryo » Fri May 12, 2006 07:17

Actually, u know what guys, I noticed that Ryo didnt tech roll against Clark at all, meaning he was definately doing it on purpose to get an opening.

I thought it was just me, but since you guys brought it up, I'm now sure he was laying a trap and man did it come through on time.

And yes Iie Kyo, the Clark did think he would get an easy win.

Boy, did he get Ryowned...

That was the last match vid I could find on this user... =(

I hope the SBO DVD is available soon.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sat May 13, 2006 02:01

Violent Ryo wrote:And yes Iie Kyo, the Clark did think he would get an easy win.
TT could be right also though. Hard to say since we weren't either of those two players. :smile:
That was the last match vid I could find on this user... =(

I hope the SBO DVD is available soon.
Wonder how the Arcademongogo guys got ahold of these two vids. If there's these two, there's gotta be more floating around...

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sat May 13, 2006 05:43

Eh?
Arcademongogo's vids are based from Taiwanese sources. So they are supposed to have Taiwan SBO footage. XD

However I am not sure whether this player is really Tiger or not.

Geese
Powering up...61%
Powering up...61%

Post by Geese » Sat May 13, 2006 13:12

As Iie-kyo said before.... if I had a life lead and did a bit of research into the taiwanese players playing style (just from watching the earlier video) I am surprised the clark didnt bait the ryo into dp +C

yeah I suspect that isnt a SBO video too. It can't be!!

Violent Ryo
Charging...35%
Charging...35%

Post by Violent Ryo » Sat May 13, 2006 14:20

This guy seems to fit my description about 70% of how Ryo should be used.

Ryo (L) Vanessa Gato VS. Kula (L) DuckKing Gato

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Wed May 17, 2006 05:43

Violent Ryo wrote:This guy seems to fit my description about 70% of how Ryo should be used.

Ryo (L) Vanessa Gato VS. Kula (L) DuckKing Gato
Yeah, his Ryo's okay. The Taiwanese Ryo is a better example of how he's played though. I learned more watching him than this guy (20 seconds of Barnessar infinite + Gato play = arggg). There's some good Henvoke ones though, the Ryo that's in yellow plays pretty well. :smile:

Keep the vids coming though. Ryo in Taiwan ftw!

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sat May 20, 2006 17:27

I was mistaken with the dp + C.

After 1 hit of the dp + C against an airborne opponent, if it counters, his Ryuuko Ranbu will combo. I did it out of sheer curiousity today and yes, seems like this DM hits after the counter from it, which makes me wonder if it'll combo off of other things that give him juggle opportunities.

Just wondering AE, any idea if the Ryuuko Ranbu or LDM will combo off a dp + C (1 hit), regardless of counter?

If so that's a pretty nifty anti-air.

(Edited a post a couple pages back that had the incorrect info about the dp + C super cancel).

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Sat May 20, 2006 20:02

"Just wondering AE, any idea if the Ryuuko Ranbu or LDM will combo off a dp + C (1 hit), regardless of counter?"

if it is not a counter hit the ranbu wont hit, the opponent need to be grounded.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sat May 20, 2006 21:26

Yep. Neither will the LDM, unless its a counter.

I don't think Ryo has any all-juggle moves =\

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Sun May 21, 2006 14:12

AcidicEnema wrote:Yep. Neither will the LDM, unless its a counter.

I don't think Ryo has any all-juggle moves =\
I learnt that the hard way.. I got inspired by the recent video clips..selected him as leader... oh boy, LDM doesnt even reach the opponent after DP C unless Opp is grounded.

Can someone confirm this combo?

Jump C, Stand C, LDM. It's embarressing, but my LDM got blocked before so I changed it to Jump C, Stand C, Rambu DC into LDM.

Pretty sure it's my timing as , I have been doing qcf x 2 combos since X-men COTA Days. I can even do foward A into LDM in 2002. Hopefully someone can verify it... :oops:

Also, I can down A, Stand C, fireball, but when i swap the fireball for LDM, the LDM just gets blocked.. sigh, I know this is possible as it was shown in the vids.. any Ryo expert care to give me a pointer or two? I barely buffer my moves, so any advice would be much appreciated.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun May 21, 2006 15:27

Stand C> LDM is very doable. Ditto, d.B>d.C>LDM. Just keep practicing against the CPU or something. In fact, it's IMO the optimal way to combo the LDM for him, and I *never* dream cancel into it, since its a waste of stocks and skill. Play SF and practice stand C> Shinkuus or something if you have trouble.

The real challenge, that's doable after practice, is to spam offense with hyper hop D's and d.B>d.C and connect into an LDM once you connect a hit. Makes him nearly as deadly as leader Kula.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Sun May 21, 2006 18:09

AcidicEnema wrote:Stand C> LDM is very doable. Ditto, d.B>d.C>LDM. Just keep practicing against the CPU or something. In fact, it's IMO the optimal way to combo the LDM for him, and I *never* dream cancel into it, since its a waste of stocks and skill. Play SF and practice stand C> Shinkuus or something if you have trouble.

The real challenge, that's doable after practice, is to spam offense with hyper hop D's and d.B>d.C and connect into an LDM once you connect a hit. Makes him nearly as deadly as leader Kula.

Btw, for anyone who wants to know, 'Old Man Tiger', the Taiwanese player who got 2nd at SBO was combing Ryo's LDM like this:

Kula: stand C> qcb+B> f+D> QS Ryo> LDM> Jump C> Stand C> Zanretsuken> QS Kula (last hit of Zanret)> qcb+B> f+B> DP+C

King: d.A> df+D> Trap Shot> QS Ryo> LDM> Jump C> Stand C> Zanretsuken
thank, i can do the Jump C, Stand C, qcf x whatever or any motion with any other chars or other versions of Ryo, but I just find his LDM coming out too slowly in this version...

oh well, I stopped using Ryo the moment they took away his command grab (kof 99 onwards).... but I get him every now and then as a random.. :P

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Mon May 22, 2006 01:08

Two reasons why.

The cancellation window for Ryo's std C is huge. You can cancel it really early or really late. Secondly, is Ryo's LDM speed. If his LDM was as fast as it was in 2k3, then you wouldn't have problems, but the reason why you're having difficulty is because you're probably doing the LDM late (because the huge cancellation window allows you to). To remedy that, either speed up the execution of the qcf x 2 or do it off the dwn C, which forces you to speed up the execution anyway (if you fail, the LDM won't even come out, which is better than losing 2 stocks to have it be blocked).

That's why I stopped using the std C for B&B combos unless I have a wide opening. I usually end up doing the following move too late in a "clutch" match for it to combo properly.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Mon May 22, 2006 06:09

Iie-Kyo wrote:Two reasons why.

The cancellation window for Ryo's std C is huge. You can cancel it really early or really late. Secondly, is Ryo's LDM speed. If his LDM was as fast as it was in 2k3, then you wouldn't have problems, but the reason why you're having difficulty is because you're probably doing the LDM late (because the huge cancellation window allows you to). To remedy that, either speed up the execution of the qcf x 2 or do it off the dwn C, which forces you to speed up the execution anyway (if you fail, the LDM won't even come out, which is better than losing 2 stocks to have it be blocked).

That's why I stopped using the std C for B&B combos unless I have a wide opening. I usually end up doing the following move too late in a "clutch" match for it to combo properly.
thanks, didnt know that the LDM wont come out at all if you do it too slow after Down C... will try that out and see how it goes..