Ryo Sakazaki (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sat May 06, 2006 06:23

He is the closest to Kula in terms of usage so it is no surprise people are starting to call him Kula-2.

I wonder who is Kula-3 now... XD

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sun May 07, 2006 00:37

AcidicEnema wrote:DP+C> SC against air can work on a 'Counter', and I've gotten DP+C>LDM against jumping opponents quite a few times. It takes more than a bit of skill to consistently roll the joystick for the SC then wait for the counter message before hitting the buttons, tho (I didn't bother).
Is it only his LDM that is jugglable off a dp + C counter vs. jumping opponents? What about the Haoh Shokohken?

Emp: He needs an uber-useful LDM to be called Kula-2... once he gets that, yeah. He'd be pretty top tier...

Violent Ryo
Charging...35%
Charging...35%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Violent Ryo » Sun May 07, 2006 06:49

Iie-Kyo: Great work on the FAQ contribution man, keep it up plz.

Oh, and you don't think Ryo's LDM is one of the best?

Empyrian: Could you please clarify when you say Ryo is Kula-2 ?

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun May 07, 2006 06:59

Well, the way the combo system works, anything should combo actually, incl. the Ryoko. Its just that I only ever SC into the LDM, which by-and-by, *is* good.

Combo jump C>stand C> Zanretsuken after for wtf damage and save your stocks. Combo into it from hop D>s.C>LDM, d.B>d.C>LDM and QS. LDM also has odd uses like interrupting Oswald in his standard 3 hit string (qcb+P> qcf+P> qcb+K) by doing it just as he starts the qcb+K. Ryo is one of those characters who can punish/interrupt *all* of Oswald's blocked strings. Use Hienshippu (and maybe Ryokoranbu) to punish qcb+P>qcf+P>qcf+P

I think what the Japs mean when they call Ryo Kula-2, is that he is similar in terms of play style (albeit less friendly to play). Its just like how they call Kim and Malin Gato 2 and 3, respectively.

Does anybody know if the Parry is instant startup? I mean if you're waking up, and a Kula jump C is overelapping your sprite, and you hit f+B, will you parry it?

Violent Ryo: There's a discussion in the Top 10 LDM List. I think in general most people would argue that Ryo's LDM *isn't* one of the top 10. I personally think its pretty useful, at any rate.

Edit:

It should be noted that the Taiwanese guy who got 1st Runner-up in SBO used Ryo as his leader.

So, erm yeah. His LDM is definately *useful*.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Mon May 08, 2006 00:14

**Edit out incorrect info about Ranbu juggling
Does anybody know if the Parry is instant startup? I mean if you're waking up, and a Kula jump C is overelapping your sprite, and you hit f+B, will you parry it?
Parry isn't instant startup. It can be stuffed in the starting frames of the thing. It'd be awesome if you could SF3 wakeup with the parry, but unfortunately you can't.
It should be noted that the Taiwanese guy who got 1st Runner-up in SBO used Ryo as his leader.
I hope the SBO 2006 DVD comes out as fast as possible. I would love to see this guy in action. The Henvoke vids don't give me a good impression of Ryo since a lot of the damage is done by their other characters. Ryo's occasionally my clutch character and I haven't seen a clutch Ryo at all...
Last edited by Iie-Kyo on Sat May 20, 2006 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Mon May 08, 2006 08:33

Iie-Kyo wrote: I hope the SBO 2006 DVD comes out as fast as possible. I would love to see this guy in action. The Henvoke vids don't give me a good impression of Ryo since a lot of the damage is done by their other characters. Ryo's occasionally my clutch character and I haven't seen a clutch Ryo at all...
hmm, is the dvd available fo download or do you order it online? if it's the latter, whereabouts can i purchase one? Oh yah, mind giving me a shout when it comes out? thanks.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Mon May 08, 2006 17:26

The play style of Ryo is actually pretty dead.

What makes Tiger's Ryo strong is not just his understanding of the character. It is also due to the fact that his team synergy is awesome.

In other news, 5 stock leader Ryo pwns Magaki. Apart from his LDM, counter anything he tries to whack you with your LDM. XD

Violent Ryo
Charging...35%
Charging...35%

Post by Violent Ryo » Tue May 09, 2006 15:53

I managed to snag a couple videos on arcadmongogo (which are down now) of this guy that uses a Ryo as L, King, and Kula. Nothing spectacular about Kula, but his Ryo/King team seemed very in tune and won matches.

Having watched the 2 or 3 vids, I think that if he put Yuri in his team instead of Kula (default AOF team), he would have more chances of winning because by now people are definately more used to a good Kula than a good Yuri.

I"m only saying this of how he handles his Ryo/King team. Very good to watch, and would be a blast to play against.

I really want this year's SBO DVD, it might prove the best year so far.

Not seeing this guy loose in the vids, I'll say, Ryo's LDM turned over matches.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Tue May 09, 2006 22:26

Derrick wrote:hmm, is the dvd available fo download or do you order it online? if it's the latter, whereabouts can i purchase one? Oh yah, mind giving me a shout when it comes out? thanks.
I got no idea man, we'd probably have to ask the J-sources PS, Emp, or whoever else who keeps close tabs with the JP scene (cos I don't). But yeah, you bet I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for that DVD. It'd be kinda cool if they were distributing the DVDs like Evo 2k5 - download and if you like it donate.

Emp: Yeah, I know. I just find it strange that for a playstyle that is "old", we still have people playing characters such as Iori. And his playstyle, much like Ryo, is very reliable, and he hasn't changed for, what, 10 years? LMAO

Hmm, after some experimenting in the arcade - I learned that Ryo's dp + C has a REALLY FRIGGIN HUEG HITBOX LIEK AN XBOX. I did it against someone on the ground who was 1/4th of a character step from me, and somehow Ryo magically stepped forward after the first hit connected and hit with the second hit like as though the guy was right next to me.

I guess I need to be more willing to use the C version eh?

Violent Ryo
Charging...35%
Charging...35%

Post by Violent Ryo » Wed May 10, 2006 14:02

Here's one of the vids:

Kula/Oswald (L)/Kyo VS. Kula/Ryo (L)/King

Haven't seen Ryo's chop used so nicely ever.

And I'm really starting to like dp+C.
Last edited by Violent Ryo on Thu May 11, 2006 12:23, edited 2 times in total.

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Wed May 10, 2006 16:39

Errr I don't mean to sound braggy or anything but...I didn't think it was a very spectacular match...most good players would never attack Ryo on wakeup at that range, and the Kyo missed a ton of chances to combo....

Any vids from the later part of the tourney (q-finals/semis/finals) ? :D

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Wed May 10, 2006 21:03

J]-[UN wrote:Errr I don't mean to sound braggy or anything but...I didn't think it was a very spectacular match...most good players would never attack Ryo on wakeup at that range, and the Kyo missed a ton of chances to combo....

Any vids from the later part of the tourney (q-finals/semis/finals) ? :D
Actually dude, the Ryo player was doing exactly what Ryo's supposed to be doing: creating that funny wall that makes you WANT to attack him, but can't. I do agree that the opponent failed to bait Ryo dp + Cs, but I'd imagine this guy probably had the "sight" to see when he should dp + A, dp + C, and when not to at all. I don't have that psychic VORUKANIKKU VAIPAH sight that Daigo Umehara has for GGXX. The Ryo player DID place second in the tourney after all.

This guy's King would be frustrating to fight against, and I also can understand why the opponent's Kyo was that "choppy" against his King - my Kyo has to fight odd like that against most turtling/zoning King (and Kensou *stabs with pitchfork*) players too, because much like Ryo, they have pretty easy ways of getting out of Kyo's cornerfuck options.

Violent Ryo
Charging...35%
Charging...35%

Post by Violent Ryo » Thu May 11, 2006 02:21

I uploaded the other vid I had of this Ryo user.

The LDM saves the match again (after dp+C :salute: ).

Clark (L), Kyo, Iori VS. Ryo (L), King, Kula

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Thu May 11, 2006 23:37

Violent Ryo wrote:I uploaded the other vid I had of this Ryo user.

The LDM saves the match again (after dp+C :salute: ).

Clark (L), Kyo, Iori VS. Ryo (L), King, Kula
I'll bet you $10 USD that the reason why that Clark player lost was because he automatically thought Ryo wasn't a threat with that leader after landing the LDM on Ryo.

Served him right. LMAO

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Fri May 12, 2006 04:08

actually that clark player lost because he thought the ryo player was about to tech roll, so he timed his fwd B to get him just as he wakes up (and hopefully snuff out a dp A/C at teh same time). thing is, the ryo player didn't tech, so clark's stomp completely whiffed and ryo got free supercancel to LDM.....very smart play