Duck King (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sat Dec 10, 2005 08:23

I haven't used Duck, but while I was fighting the CPU, his LDM has INSANE priority against air attacks. The CPU launched it while jumping, and he sorta paused in mid-air, so I jumped in with an attack and the next thing I know, I got hit by this.

Geese
Powering up...61%
Powering up...61%

Post by Geese » Sat Dec 10, 2005 13:39

Duck's stand D is pretty good as an anti-air, other than that I only use jump B as anti-airs

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sat Dec 17, 2005 06:03

Quick question to all Duck users: Do you start his chain combo with d.AX2 or d.B?

d.A: Bigger hitbox, faster, can chain multiple times

d.B: Hits low

Geese
Powering up...61%
Powering up...61%

Post by Geese » Sun Dec 18, 2005 07:35

It kinda depends

when I am pressuring I use dwn A, just because its recovery is faster and I have the option of cancelling with dwnfwd C, so there are more options for attack.

I mainly use dwn B when I do the air feints or when I jump and do nothing and land into dwn B ->combo. for instance

qcb B, feint, dwn B(on the ground) ->combo

just because sometimes the opponent is blocking standing after the feint cos they expect you to hit a jumping attack.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Mon Dec 19, 2005 20:00

Thanks Geese, makes sense.

Btw, does anyone have any anti-Kula strats? Duck seems particularly vulnerable to her B poke+A Ice Breath+ back hop+uppercut nonsense.

Actually, it would be good if people started posting their anti-Kula/Gato strats in the respective character threads. I'm getting pretty sick of the people building Kula/Gato/(Oswarld,Iori,Kyo) teams. Kula especially.

Edit:

- A Rolling Attacks seem to have much better priority in general then C Rolling Attacks.

- Air rolling attacks, if they cross up= free combo.

- His bread and butter combo: d.AX2/3> stand B> f+C> qcb+ B does *a lot* of stun damage. Land it two times + one or two random hits= stun. Actually makes him a very viable first character, since it means he doesn't need levels to do real damage.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sat Jan 07, 2006 23:12

LDM can be done just off the ground if you

1) V-slasher it. I.e., do the hcb X2 on the ground and add an upward motion. E.g., hcb, hcb, ub+E

2) Buffer the back hop motion into it. E.g, hcb, b, hcb+ E

I still don't think its an LDM I would use in serious matches, though. Range on the grab is good, but there are so many LDMs out there that require less effort to use effectively. It is quite fun to use when playing friendlies with friends tho.

Dream Cancel combo does around 70% damage. 3 Levels, 1 skill. Needs to be done (and I stress this) when you have your opponent almost right up against the corner. No start the combo in midscreen and end up in the corner like some other characters *cough* Kula bitch *cough*. Any further, and the Duck Dance whiffs, and you die.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Sun Jan 08, 2006 06:48

AcidicEnema wrote:LDM can be done just off the ground if you

1) V-slasher it. I.e., do the hcb X2 on the ground and add an upward motion. E.g., hcb, hcb, ub+E

2) Buffer the back hop motion into it. E.g, hcb, b, hcb+ E

I still don't think its an LDM I would use in serious matches, though. Range on the grab is good, but there are so many LDMs out there that require less effort to use effectively. It is quite fun to use when playing friendlies with friends tho.

Dream Cancel combo does around 70% damage. 3 Levels, 1 skill. Needs to be done (and I stress this) when you have your opponent almost right up against the corner. No start the combo in midscreen and end up in the corner like some other characters *cough* Kula bitch *cough*. Any further, and the Duck Dance whiffs, and you die.
has anyone managed to connect the LDM after foward B?

also, is there any shortcut in doing his grab DM? d,f,u,d doesnt cut it for me =\..

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Sun Jan 08, 2006 17:03

It's not forward B, but far standing B ^^

And I didn't try... I don't choose Duck as a leader, since there is a lot of better choices...

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun Jan 08, 2006 19:26

I tried cancelling far stand B into LDM quite a few times. Didn't work.

LDM can grab Kula out of her Lay Spin...

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:03

frionel wrote:It's not forward B, but far standing B ^^

And I didn't try... I don't choose Duck as a leader, since there is a lot of better choices...
hmm, when doing this combo: down A, down A, stand B, foward C.

the funny slow hop kick always come out with i hold on to forward after the 2nd down A... and yes..that combo is in range......

hmm.....

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Mon Jan 09, 2006 20:45

Er, that happens when you press the B too late.

I can hold the joystick forward during the combo, and it works just fine as long as your button presses are timed correctly.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Fri Feb 17, 2006 21:07

Quick question: Can anyone actually do his d+C otg move consistently? If so, which moves do you do it after?

_KC_
Charging...80%
Charging...80%

Post by _KC_ » Mon Feb 27, 2006 17:15

AcidicEnema wrote:Quick question: Can anyone actually do his d+C otg move consistently? If so, which moves do you do it after?
i also cant use this move...i sometimes use it after a dp b...but when i down c to OTG, sometimes it hits when the opponent safe rolls...

are the DMs after the duck dance (down down CDE) free? no stocks needed?

last question...his grab DM is a pain for me...i cant seem to do it consistently, any tips?

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Mon Feb 27, 2006 20:14

The duck dance use one stock, and the follow up supers are totaly free during the time after the duck dance... but you can only use one

It seemed that the duck dance is unblockable... but need to test it again (I only do it on combo, or to mind game in wake up games : duck dance if the opponent jumps to avoid the break spiral)

for his grab DM (break spiral), I don't think it's possible to do it without buffering the move... I never really tried, but I think that we can't cancel the jumping animation with it...

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:20

I'm sure its only a matter of time before the Japanese start releasing vids involving running/walking Break Spirals with Duck.

However, as long as you don't have Japanese Hands TM, its safe to say that you should rely on the many different set ups that they are for it. Here are the ones I use.

1. Roll> Break Spiral

2. Empty Hop/Jump> Break Spiral

3. Early hop B> Break Spiral (This is my personal fave. Yes it works. Hop B has quite little hit stun)

4. d.A/d.D> df+C> Break Spiral

5. Run> df+C> Break Spiral

6. Stand B (blocked)> Break Spiral (Computer did this on me. Haven't tried it, but looks good)