King (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Sat Jul 01, 2006 05:34

Hey guys... Do u guys know how to beat Oswald's crossups aside from blocking it?? I always attempt to use down+B,down+A to counter it(just like Iori down+B.. can be used as an"anti-air") when Ozzy's about to land... but i keep getting crossed up. Ive seen alot of people countering the crossup with down+B,down+a combos... so yeah help would be appreciated...

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Tue Jul 04, 2006 13:28

New combo that I discovered by accident. It seems that King can combo her Illusion dance DM off her standind D (1st hit)! Ohh God I remember that KOF96 Illusion dance shortcut (down,hcb+kick) hahaha..
So yeah you can do jump D, stand D(1hit), Illusion dance DM (i usually use the B version). Its interesting knowing that her B version is the more floaty of the two versions and yet it still combos 100% of the time.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Tue Jul 04, 2006 18:08

Nice find!

I remember the old "hidden" Illusion Dance that had immediate startup... where was that from, 97?

Bankotsu
Charging...35%
Charging...35%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

after finishing the illusion dance DM

Post by Bankotsu » Wed Jul 05, 2006 07:43

I saw a video of connecting her LDM after her illusion dance DM in the corner, I tried it but I can´t time it right, please help me with this, and do you know if instead of doing her LDM after the illusion dance DM in the corner, what else can I do? trapshot maybe?

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 00:21

Franz Bonaparta wrote:Hey guys... Do u guys know how to beat Oswald's crossups aside from blocking it?? I always attempt to use down+B,down+A to counter it(just like Iori down+B.. can be used as an"anti-air") when Ozzy's about to land... but i keep getting crossed up. Ive seen alot of people countering the crossup with down+B,down+a combos... so yeah help would be appreciated...
I would not put myself in a situation where I'm gonna get crossed up by Oswald. I don't think King has a solid SOLID anti-Oswald jump/hop C option against him. Her down C was nerfed - it's "active" frame is now when she extends her arm out, which makes it pretty craptacular. Trap Shot is gonna get stuffed. Very hard to aim the Illusion Dance when a C's crossing you up in your face. Silent Flash sucks... and... yeah. I'd make an effort to keep Oswald in FRONT of me - that's where King can defend against him the best.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Thu Jul 06, 2006 03:52

Although it trades hits often, a B Tornado Kick (hcb+B) works as somewhat of an anti-air... not 100% reliable, but 100% better than trying anything else as an anti-air...

BTW, Bankotsu, you can Dream Cancel her Illusion Dance into any version of the Phantom Strike between the 2nd and 8th hits of it (up to the hit that looks like a Trap Shot kick), but remember you need a Skill Stock to do, and if you super cancelled, you'll need ANOTHER skill stock, plus enough power stocks to do both the DM and LDM (3 total).

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 07:00

alexis wrote:BTW, Bankotsu, you can Dream Cancel her Illusion Dance into any version of the Phantom Strike between the 2nd and 8th hits of it (up to the hit that looks like a Trap Shot kick), but remember you need a Skill Stock to do, and if you super cancelled, you'll need ANOTHER skill stock, plus enough power stocks to do both the DM and LDM (3 total).
I don't think that's what he's talking about.

There's a video of King connecting her LDM after the Illusion Dance without Dream Cancelling or the use of a skill stock. Her LDM has the juggle anywhere property, and will therefore juggle off the final hit of the Illusion Dance. You can even do two or three more LDMs after that if you can get the final hit of the fireball barrage to hit. He's asking how to do that combo I think... I haven't tried it myself, too lazy to fire up the PS2.

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Thu Jul 06, 2006 08:00

Yeah, Ie-Kyo thanks for your help, but thats what I usually do.. keep oswald in front of me. But I have seen ppl using down b, down a as a counter measure against oswald' cross up and i just want to know the secret or the timing on using it effectively.

For those who are wondering abt King's LDM juggle, i have done it a couple of times....in training mode =( , heres the combo... qcf+b, hop jump/high jump D, stand D,df+d, rdp+Kick, SC Illusion dance B, LDM qcb*2 E(remember to use this low hittin one instead of the high hitting one qcf*2 E), LDM qcb*2 E. Beyond that is practice mode only...

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by SonicWaver » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:58

alexis wrote:Although it trades hits often, a B Tornado Kick (hcb+B) works as somewhat of an anti-air... not 100% reliable, but 100% better than trying anything else as an anti-air...
i would personally better try a d. C

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 13:38

Franz Bonaparta wrote:Yeah, Ie-Kyo thanks for your help, but thats what I usually do.. keep oswald in front of me. But I have seen ppl using down b, down a as a counter measure against oswald' cross up and i just want to know the secret or the timing on using it effectively.
I think when you see people using her tap combo to counter his crossup, that's usually when the Oswald player messed up the crossup C (i.e. jump too high over you, or didn't put you in enough guardstun <e.g., you're at a frame disadvantage> from the previous jump in C they did to keep your dwn B from coming out). But yeah, I guess you could use her B Tornado Kick to get out of there if you're REALLY in a rut. That thing seems to have some sort of weird invincibility (or small hitbox?) I can't seem to get down...

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Fri Jul 07, 2006 06:16

OK I want to conduct a little clinic on King's corner LDM juggle...
What do u need to do...
1st. Position ur enemy roughly 3/5 length of the screen, more than half but less that two thirds of the screen(hmm)....
2nd. Please note that the LDM wont hit if u do this combo in the corner, ie. ur opps back is EXACTLY in the corner.
3rd. How u do the combo is entirely up 2 u, be it qcf+b, jump d, down+a, df+d, rdp+k, SC illusion dance or jump d, stand d so on and so on or just plain stand D to....... yeah u get the point.
4th. Please note that the LDM will only juggle after the illusion dance's final kick, the one that will make ur opp twisting 720 degrees in the air. However, during this whole twisting sprite, the opponent cant be juggled, do not do her qcf*2 E Ldm version while ur opponent is still twisting and turning, it will simply miss. Sooo, in order to do this juggle u have to time the LDM so that when ur opponent twisting sprite is over and they are back to their normal falling sprite, perform the qcb*2 E LDM- the low hitting version only....
5th. U can continue to juggle ur opponent for up to 2 times, given that, the final hit of the LDM connects, the one that makes ur opp goes twisting and turning again, then....follow the previous regime... wait till their twisting sprite is finished and they are back to their normal falling sprite...qcb*2 E

OK.. in short.. (more than half of screen dis. but not in the corner) qcf+b, jump D, down+a, df+d, rdp+kick SC illusion dance DM.. wait twist.. turn.. twist.. turn... qcb*2 E(final hit connects)... wait again qcb*2 E....

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Wed Aug 30, 2006 19:38

OK more King strat....
MIND GAMES:
-OPP BLOCKS UR ATTACK:
--Stand D,fwd+B fwd+D-this move is an overhead so use it sparingly on crouch blockers...it is adviseable to cancel fwd+B fwd+D after stand+D's first hit...
--Stand D,qcf+D if they decide to start high blocking give him/her a low-hitting fireball-again if you can cancel on the first stand+D's hit
--You can also do this:(CORNER)Stand D,df+D pause.pause.hop jump D/A to etc etc. given that your opp likes to block low when under constant pressure. You can alternate ur string with this:(CORNER)Stand D,df+D pause.run/empty hop to down+B,down+A,df+D to etc etc....

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Wed Sep 13, 2006 09:45

I'm startin' to get serious with her. She was nice in 2k3 already but this time she HAS to be played! :D

I'm still not sure about her jump-ins. j.D of course is the best but in some places I find that you should alternate to j.C or even j.A ?!?!

For a safe attack pattern after a jump-in you really have to hit high with King.
As you all probably know in KoFXI hitting jump-ins high offers better combo possibilities and for King this is important. Because if you hit too deep then you can only reliably attack with n.D but not with her crouch normals and n.D might be to risky if you get rolled or a guard rolled....
If you think you hit your jump-in too deep and opp. blocks then it's no real use to go for c.B, c.A or c.A twice because you will whiff the second crouch normal. Go for one c.A directly then plus the df+D. If you have some reflexes you can go to rdp+K. If you're not sure do either nothing or a qcf+D.

I know this might be risky versus roll-abusers but as a meaty I sometimes use a close E (which can even be whiffed and then empty cancelled) and cancel it into her qcf+B/D Venom Strikes. In the corner (after knockdown) if opp. doesn't do forward roll recovery you can try to score a combo again by back hopping (in case they forward roll recovery you are positioned excellently then, too :D) then do a qcf+B which will arrive at the enemy. Now you have the mix-up. Hyper hop D for a large combo (needs good timing and spacing) run up c.B, c.A or what I do most of the time is f+B~f+D. If you did it right and they don't block the low Venom Strike you can even combo the second hit of f+B~f+D !!

Questions remaining for King:
- can she take advantage of a QS from her rdp+K moves? You can QS easily but it seems nothing connects afterwards, unlike Ryo's C Zanretsuken which offers a lot of possibilities when QSed.
- the analysis of her jump normals (except j.B which is pretty clear).
- I can't seem to figure out the difference between B/D versions of Trap Shot (rdp+K). I sometimes think rdp+B is better but then I'm not sure if the D version has it's advantages, as well.

--Blast

Jackal
Is it a bot?

Post by Jackal » Mon Sep 18, 2006 05:43

Blastrezz wrote:- can she take advantage of a QS from her rdp+K moves? You can QS easily but it seems nothing connects afterwards, unlike Ryo's C Zanretsuken which offers a lot of possibilities when QSed.
Oswald's LDM will juggle if he's QS'ed in (because lord knows he didn't have enough ways to combo that LDM already), there are surely other DM's/LDM's that will juggle after the final hit of Trap Shot, but I haven't really done any testing.
- I can't seem to figure out the difference between B/D versions of Trap Shot (rdp+K). I sometimes think rdp+B is better but then I'm not sure if the D version has it's advantages, as well.
I can't tell any difference between the two either :oops:

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:22

Jackal wrote:
Blastrezz wrote:- can she take advantage of a QS from her rdp+K moves? You can QS easily but it seems nothing connects afterwards, unlike Ryo's C Zanretsuken which offers a lot of possibilities when QSed.
Oswald's LDM will juggle if he's QS'ed in (because lord knows he didn't have enough ways to combo that LDM already), there are surely other DM's/LDM's that will juggle after the final hit of Trap Shot, but I haven't really done any testing.
True, Oswald's LDM is a sure-juggle but that's not what I meant here. I wanted to know if a QSed Trap shot enables normal Juggles which it seems it doesn't unlike a QSed C Zanretsuken from Ryo.

--Blast