King (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Mon Sep 18, 2006 17:08

Blastrezz wrote: - the analysis of her jump normals (except j.B which is pretty clear).
- I can't seem to figure out the difference between B/D versions of Trap Shot (rdp+K). I sometimes think rdp+B is better but then I'm not sure if the D version has it's advantages, as well.

--Blast
JUMP NORMAL ANALYSIS:
Jump A:
Instant overhead property, comes out quik, great air-ground priority, you'll find urself getting hit out of it with most of XI's casts' stand As given its considerably short range. A great jump-in tool IMO eventhough not as good as Kula's jump A ,not recommended for QS-ing in.
JUMP C:
Similar to jump A. The differences: it does better damage,comes out slower than jump A and a tad bigger hitstun. I prefer jump A though, based on the fact that jump C doesnt have that instant overhead property
JUMP D:
Great air-air/air-ground priority, u'll trade hits or even beat stand A's. The only let down is it takes more time to come out when compared to jump A and u'll need to jump-in deeper in order for you to continue your combos.

TRAP SHOT B/D
Not really sure whats the diff between the two but i find it easier for me to SC B version Illusion Dance from rdp+D Trap shot

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Mon Sep 18, 2006 21:18

Franz Bonaparta wrote: JUMP D:
(...)u'll need to jump-in deeper in order for you to continue your combos.
Nope. Exactly the other way around. As for Ryo (her team mate ;D) You have to hit pretty high.
It is the case for most fighters in KoFXI. At least hitting high this year mostly allows to combo better/longer.
Which is so weird for somebody like me who trained years to get jump-ins considerably deep x_x Now it's time to re-learn..... and cmon, high jump-ins = better than deep jump-ins? Where is the skill in that? I think they did it to make combos a lot easier.... x_X Almost too easy now. It's not logical, either....

--Blast

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Tue Sep 19, 2006 05:56

Blastrezz wrote: Nope. Exactly the other way around. As for Ryo (her team mate ;D) You have to hit pretty high.
It is the case for most fighters in KoFXI. At least hitting high this year mostly allows to combo better/longer.
Which is so weird for somebody like me who trained years to get jump-ins considerably deep x_x Now it's time to re-learn..... and cmon, high jump-ins = better than deep jump-ins? Where is the skill in that? I think they did it to make combos a lot easier.... x_X Almost too easy now. It's not logical, either....

--Blast
I am pretty sure that u can continue ur combo with a relatively high jump A. I am not entirely sure with jump d tho. i always do a deep jump-in D given its big pushback property. Yes its much easier to combo from jumping attacks now...cough..kula...coughh..oswald.........

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Tue Sep 19, 2006 09:30

Franz Bonaparta wrote:I am pretty sure that u can continue ur combo with a relatively high jump A.
As j.A is a light attack it inflicts less hitstun. You can't hit toooo high with this and continue your combo.... At least it is too unreliable for my taste. But I use j.A as well, don't get me wrong :)
Franz Bonaparta wrote:I am not entirely sure with jump d tho. i always do a deep jump-in D given its big pushback property.
Contradictions here. You tell me the less hit-stun inflicting light normal (j.A) sets up for a combo even when hit pretty high but with the heavy jump normal (j.D) you tell me you hit preferably deep? Seriously dude try it out in practice mode if you have the game at home. You'll see that hitting early (=high) with j.D will give you a safer combo chance than hitting late (=deep). Of course you have to balance the jump height out at which you strike, though.
It doesn't matter whether you hit high or low if you want to go for n.D(2) into whatever but specifically try j.D, n.D(2), df+D and cancel to rdp+K.
Do it when hitting the j.D very deep.... You'll miss the rdp+K VERY often, trust me. Try it. (Don't use Tizoc as your dummy!! Try it vs. Kyo, Iori, Shingo or other normal sized dummies!)
Franz Bonaparta wrote:Yes its much easier to combo from jumping attacks now...cough..kula...coughh..oswald.........
It's not bad but the logic behind the jump attacks isn't always transparent IMO... That's what is a little sad. Given this was very tightly adjusted in previous KOFs (up to 2k2 at least....).

--Blast

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:13

Blastrezz wrote: It doesn't matter whether you hit high or low if you want to go for n.D(2) into whatever but specifically try j.D, n.D(2), df+D and cancel to rdp+K.
Do it when hitting the j.D very deep.... You'll miss the rdp+K VERY often, trust me. Try it. (Don't use Tizoc as your dummy!! Try it vs. Kyo, Iori, Shingo or other normal sized dummies!)

--Blast
Actually, the slide can be cancelled *very* late after it hits, and the hit stun is long enough that I'm pretty sure you can *always* combo a rdp b after a jump d, close d (2 hits), slide.

I know what you mean about hitting very deeply not giving sometimes pushing back the opponent too far - I believe that this is slightly inaccurate. What I believe happens is that after hitting the opponent, the opponent goes into his/her "hit" animation, and as part of it, reels backwards slightly before pulling themselves forward again. The thing about hitting deeply with jump attacks and immediately continuing the combo is that you didn't allow the opponent to go into the "pulling themselves forward" frames of being hit. If you delay your followup ground attacks *very very* slightly after a deep jump in, I believe they'll combo just as well.

I don't have access to a TV now so I can't test this out, but that was the conclusion I reached after fooling around with Oswald for ages trying his various combos.

And you made an earlier point that I also think needed to be clarified - not all light jump attacks have less hit stun than heavy jump attacks. Kula's jump a is an excellent example of this - you can hit with it as Kula is at or just past the apex of her hop, land, and still be able to continue the combo. Oswald's jump C does not have nearly as much hit stun, unless you cross the opponent up.

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:57

Perfect Stranger wrote:I know what you mean about hitting very deeply not giving sometimes pushing back the opponent too far - I believe that this is slightly inaccurate.
(.....)
If you delay your followup ground attacks *very very* slightly after a deep jump in, I believe they'll combo just as well.
Interesting observation. That might be true indeed.
Anyway I'd like Playmore to tighten the jump-ins a little bit again in the next sequel.
Perfect Stranger wrote:And you made an earlier point that I also think needed to be clarified - not all light jump attacks have less hit stun than heavy jump attacks. Kula's jump a is an excellent example of this - you can hit with it as Kula is at or just past the apex of her hop, land, and still be able to continue the combo.
Hmm, true, too. I thought about it a little later after I posted and there are exceptions to the light/heavy normal hit-stun rule, that's true.
Best example of them all is Eiji's j.B which can be hit from the top of Mount Everest and still enables for a ground combo.....

--Blast

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Wed Sep 20, 2006 15:00

Damn... I think I was on crack when i wrote that post hahaha.... ok this is my analysis-revised:....
-Jump A : instant overhead priority,however has to be done a bit deep in order to make your combos flow...If you instantly do a Hopping A you'll get a free hit on crouching opponents.. however followups arent guaranteed if you dont do ur Hop A deep enough(not that deep tho---just as Blastrezz pointed out!). OK hitstun
-Jump B : It has the biggest hitstun among King's jumping normals... you read it rite...THE BIGGEST hitstun...but,its really hard to hit crouching opps using Jump B. Its piss easy to do jump B,stand D,df+D to etc etc to a standing opp tho...
-Jump D : Not as fast as Jump A, bigger hitstun as well. I still abuse it since its easier to combo from this move given its huge hitstun property. Jumping-in high or deep will still get you free combo followups.