Momoko (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:14

The first obvious advice would be to just watch the guy for a match or two. If the same chain is being used without variation (which I'm sure 90-95% of Momokos are like) then just roll or fast punish prior to where the low or high hit is since most of the chain is highly vulnerable. Even feel free to waste meter to guard roll though when in corner. Cornering Momoko is so worth 1 lvl.

If he is hitting, launching with headbutt and the resetting with the Cs then know you can once again punish or roll anything except the f+B afterwards, which he obviously isn't doing (he is going right for mixups again.)

If you need characters to beat her I'd suggest Ryo and just going on an psychic DP/parry spree, Ralf (press C to win) or pick Maxima, he totally slaughters her. No need for top tier to win.

inuko
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by inuko » Thu Mar 30, 2006 06:07

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I really suck at King of Fighters XI (That's what I say, but it's more like, I could be way better.)

And, to be honest, I've never even played the King of Fighters series before.

But here I am, registered to this forum just to make a Momoko post.

I started playing her just as a "novelty" character, sheer curiosity, but as I researched (here, mostly) her, and learned how to move with her, I got pretty decent with her. She's wondeful to play with people who have never seen her really, or know how to use her.

Personally, I like hop a, crouching c to start chains. And that little roll move on her, it works brilliant, most people forget about the last little kick and get knocked down.

I've learned that even starting with the d+kick or u+kick portion of her chain when blocked can be valuable, 'cause no one else ever blocks the back+punch, forward kick portion of it.

Notes to myself (and to others):

Her LDM is unblockable.
Dream Cancelling on her is a life saver.
She fails against realllllllllllllly fast characters. My best friend regularly uses Gato and Malin on his team and I just can't keep up.

Other things about Momoko...I really can't think of any. She does pretty well, overall, she's even picking up the slack my other characters leave behind. Paired with something that actually builds stock (like say, Gato?), she could be fun in dream cancelling, never bothered to try though.

I've also learned that playing Momoko (and being the only girl who plays KoF in the arcade) gets you lots of "WTF?!" type reactions.

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Thu Mar 30, 2006 06:50

momoko is strong...she just dies against characters who can hop really low with far pokes like Kyo, Adel, Kula...

Ofc,I mean a high-lvl momoko

I usually use her chains to bait people to roll...something like a dwnC, fwdC *pause* fwdB *pause* uB/dB and as soon as the opponent rolls, start off a dwnC combo again.

fwdC, fwdB combos btw :)

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Thu Mar 30, 2006 06:53

Never keep doing her chains though, ppl will just use a stock to roll then punish you as ur cartwheeling across the screen. Never stop at the same move in the chain if possible.

And against grapplers..don't do anything other than a fwdC,fwdB and hcfB if opponent is blocking T_T

inuko
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by inuko » Thu Mar 30, 2006 07:12

J]-[UN wrote: And against grapplers..don't do anything other than a fwdC,fwdB and hcfB if opponent is blocking T_T
Lol. I just use her roll special move...A lot. It works just fine, until they learn it's being abused xD

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Thu Mar 30, 2006 13:44

ermm the phoenix arrow can be countered easily simply by doing a low hop attack...or a vertical jump then press a button before landing :\

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Thu Mar 30, 2006 21:17

Does Momoko have any form of defense? I'm just wondering how bad her defensive options are because from what I can tell she can only do a couple of things to stop a hop crazy character.

Anything system defense related: AB Guard Cancel Roll, CD Counter, Saving Shift Counter.

Her KAMEHAMEHA LDM.

Normal move wise she doesn't look like she has anything to get the opponent off her. And the options listed above use super (which she sucks at building) or uses two skills stocks better used to save a character that's a higher tier than her...

Maybe I'm missing something? Oh, and the reason why I'm asking is because I occasionally play against Momokos. I want to know if I have her trapped in the corner with no super how majorly f00ked she is...

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Thu Mar 30, 2006 23:53

Her only hope is to roll out (and probably eat the crossup) or get a very lucky dp+K (which needs frame perfect timing to beat most average hops.) Against a good hopdown (Top 3, DK) she is as good as gone if she can't roll out. Hell, she is in major trouble against hopdown regardless of where it is.

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Fri Mar 31, 2006 16:49

Her best bet to get out of any situation is a properly zoned dwnC, or risk doing a far stand C BEFORE enemy leaves the ground

Otherwise...bleh

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Wed Apr 26, 2006 09:42

Just saw from the latest vids that she can bounce off a projectile (Kyo's fireball in this case) using her jump Down Kick skill... neato!

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Wed Apr 26, 2006 13:27

just wondering, can momoko's LDM make a guaranteed hit on an opponent tagging in after a downed opponent? i've seen it being tried before, but never landed. Maybe some more bullshit like adel's LDM crossing up and mary's being guaranteed

also, the good momokos i've been dont mix up high and low a lot in the chains. Rather, the pressure, pressure, pressure (which surprisingly momoko doesn't fair too badly as) to get it, and then mixup

but then again i dont play her, so meh

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Thu Apr 27, 2006 04:45

Yeah , normally the idea is to stay close and zone with the crC, and force the opponent to roll with one of the starter chains.

Solution : CD counter and poke with those long long legs which she doesn't have :(

The LDM is a guarenteed hit if you get the timing of it right.

inuko
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by inuko » Tue May 09, 2006 01:36

Oh, you know what I've found out (I'm not sure it's been mentioned yet):

My best friend currently has a team roster of Maxima, Gato and Adel, and utilizes a stun combo from Maxima --> Adel

This stuns most everyone...

...except momoko. We're not sure if she just HAS better stun resistance than everyone else, or if he's messing up -_- He's done it quite a few times so we figured it's just better stun resistance. We kind of looked at each other funny >_>

I tend to put momo up front during matches, when people can't counter/counter roll/really do anything during her chain. It's quite amusing to watch people panic.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Tue May 09, 2006 07:17

The thing is you don't need a counter roll or anything to get out of her stuff. Anything that would be dangerous can be normal rolled through on block or on hit (or in the case of about half the cast, just hit her right out of it) if it isn't ended immediately. This limits her options hugely, what she is left with is easily blockable and just as easy to punish. I know on occasion I let myself get hit by something when in the corner out of the blue, it gives you space to roll on through and punish her 3, 4, 10 times worse.

Momoko's stun resistance is better than average for some strange reason, but not as good as the big 3 (Gai, Maxima, Griffon.)

inuko
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by inuko » Tue May 09, 2006 16:30

People tend to not do that here, or if they do, they don't really punish all that often. I happen to know my friend really well so xP