Oswald (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sun Oct 29, 2006 18:17

Moon super IS DCable to Joker.

Good luck in trying to get it out though.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by SonicWaver » Mon Oct 30, 2006 05:44

contro wrote:is it at all in any way possible to qcb+b wire effect into a LDM or one of Oswald's DM??
qcb+ B /D doesnt wire effect under any circunstance.

And No, after qcf+B/D (the one that wire effect) you can only input any other of oswalds special moves, no DM/LDM (you could, but you´d have to wait like 1.5 seconds, after Oswald leaves his qcf+B/D stance)

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Mon Oct 30, 2006 13:17

combo that involves 4 wires (4 df A).
Opponent slightly near corner, with you on the right.

Jump C (crossover), Down B, Down A, Qcb A, Qcf D, Qcf A (Whiff), df A (you are still in the corner), Qcb A, Qcf B, Qcf A (Whiff), (char now facing left with opponent floating over you to the left corner), df A, AB(blue thingy), df A, Qcf A, Qcf B, Qcb C (do this after the opp on the right, this would whiff). df A, Qcb A, Qcf B, Qcf E (Ace finish).

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Tue Dec 26, 2006 19:27

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Tue Dec 26, 2006 20:48

erm, what is the video trying to teach us? how each move links with each move? seriously, I thought there was some bug or some big combo when I was watching it.. maybe I was just expecting more, hee hee...

G-Product
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by G-Product » Wed Dec 27, 2006 00:46

Derrick wrote:
erm, what is the video trying to teach us? how each move links with each move? seriously, I thought there was some bug or some big combo when I was watching it.. maybe I was just expecting more, hee hee...
yeah made no sense. Can we get a translator please?

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Wed Dec 27, 2006 04:14

It's basically showing a situation in which you can break the rule of chaining up to 3 of Oswald's specials. The video firstly shows that the qcb p has different ranges depending on whether it's done by itself or chained into from another one of his specials. It then shows then when the qcb a is the third move chained and the hit animation comes out by itself, you can chain another move, either his qcf p or his qcf k (qcb k is not possible).

The last part shows how since the qcb c has longer range than the qcb a, if you want to cancel another move from the qcb c, the opponent has to cooperate by running away from you.

Perfect Stranger

Post by Perfect Stranger » Sat Dec 30, 2006 20:36

This probably has been posted before, but I just learnt of these 2 pretty recently:

Both start with opponent *nearly* in corner and Oswald jumping behind them:

Builds up 1 stock, LDM combo without using skill points:
Jump c, dwn b, dwn a, qcb c, qcf b, qcf a whiff, opponent flies behind you back into corner, dwn fwd a, qcb d, qcb a, qcf a, LDM.

Ace combo:
Jump C, dwn b, dwn a, qcb c, qcf d (Oswald backs into corner), qcb b (need to do this to create the proper spacing from the corner), qcf b, qcf a, qcf b, qcf e.

Also totally unrelated - New posts on the XI board have been pretty stagnant as of late. Could I appeal to some of the older veterans to revitalise the board a bit? Yes, you might say "But nothing new/revolutionary has been discovered", but right now a lot of the character threads are missing "consolidation posts", i.e. posts where you describe how the character should be played given what we know about him and the play environment today. In other words, a mini-faq of sorts. ;p

Yes, I know it's a lot of work to write up that shite but it will benefit a lot of users, especially scrubs like yours truly.

Edited - small error (should be a qcb b instead of a qcf b) in the 2nd combo.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:26

Empyrian wrote:Moon super IS DCable to Joker.

Are u possitive on this one?

I just checked on XI skill lists and "moon super" isn´t listed as DCable

(some input or video could be appreciated, and trust me, ive tried it with pretty good timming, on several frame points, on hit confirmaton, after hit confirmation, before hit confirmation, etc...)

Although on the other hand....skill list says that qcf+B/D isnt SCable...and it is (when u use it alone or in a combo, but without inputting it for wire effect, i mean, it has to be his first special attack, whenever i try it applying his wire effect, i can´t SC it)

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Mon Mar 12, 2007 13:45

SonicWaver wrote:
Empyrian wrote:Moon super IS DCable to Joker.

Are u possitive on this one?

I just checked on XI skill lists and "moon super" isn´t listed as DCable

(some input or video could be appreciated, and trust me, ive tried it with pretty good timming, on several frame points, on hit confirmaton, after hit confirmation, before hit confirmation, etc...)

Although on the other hand....skill list says that qcf+B/D isnt SCable...and it is (when u use it alone or in a combo, but without inputting it for wire effect, i mean, it has to be his first special attack, whenever i try it applying his wire effect, i can´t SC it)
Its not DCable, but its possible to link Moon to LDM. Ive done this and has been seen in combo vids.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Tue Mar 13, 2007 06:42

Dark_Chaotix wrote: Its not DCable, but its possible to link Moon to LDM. Ive done this and has been seen in combo vids.
i see...

I assume LDM can be connected within a very small frame window after moon super, right? (bevause of Oz´s LDM´s "juggle anywhere" property)

Opponent jumping or high in the air, then HCBx2 + A/C at opponent´s maximum height, then LDM?

Oswald´s DM stales him a long period of time if DM connects, so i guess LDM connects when opponent is about to hit the ground after DM hit him, right?

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Tue Mar 13, 2007 07:49

SonicWaver wrote:
Dark_Chaotix wrote: Its not DCable, but its possible to link Moon to LDM. Ive done this and has been seen in combo vids.
i see...

I assume LDM can be connected within a very small frame window after moon super, right? (bevause of Oz´s LDM´s "juggle anywhere" property)

Opponent jumping or high in the air, then HCBx2 + A/C at opponent´s maximum height, then LDM?

Oswald´s DM stales him a long period of time if DM connects, so i guess LDM connects when opponent is about to hit the ground after DM hit him, right?
if you do the part of the (4 df) combo that I mentioned earlier, after the 2nd wire, if you just do df A into qcb B instead of df A, AB, df A chain, sc into moon super, then you should have ample time to LDM (no skill stock required).

alternatively, you can try to high launch him up with malin, kula, eliz, kenshou, QS into Oswald, moon super, then LDM.

HTH

Edit: I think you can do a moon super after the df A (no need for Qcb B and super cancel). Will test it when i get back, maybe take some vids and post if I have the time and if I managed to put it off =)

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:43

Derrick wrote:
SonicWaver wrote:
i see...

if you do the part of the (4 df) combo that I mentioned earlier, after the 2nd wire, if you just do df A into qcb B instead of df A, AB, df A chain, sc into moon super, then you should have ample time to LDM (no skill stock required).

alternatively, you can try to high launch him up with malin, kula, eliz, kenshou, QS into Oswald, moon super, then LDM.

HTH

Edit: I think you can do a moon super after the df A (no need for Qcb B and super cancel). Will test it when i get back, maybe take some vids and post if I have the time and if I managed to put it off =)

The way I did it, its possible to do under normal game conditions and once you know the secret on how to do it, its easy.
Last edited by Dark_Chaotix on Tue Apr 03, 2007 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

Perfect Stranger

Post by Perfect Stranger » Tue Mar 27, 2007 17:38

Some small okizeme tips I don't think have been written here yet. This is mainly for my own use/to help other people still playing the game with stuff other than "X combo works here".

After connecting with the standard Oswald combo (blablabla qcb p qcf p qcb k):

1. Your opponent lands in the corner. Doing his dp a card toss is pretty standard since it allows you to wake up with the opponent facing a projectile and you free to move. Hopping after that is also pretty standard as it allows you to make your opponent guess if you're going to do a jump attack or an empty jump into a low attack, etc. The common respose for the opponent is to roll, and if you expect the opponent to do so you can recover from the jump and still punish the opponent as he recovers from the roll, but another alternative to you hopping is to mash D after your card toss. Oswald should recover from close D as your opponent gets up, but since it has hit frames that stick out for a while you effectively force him to either block that and the incoming projectile while you're free to move, or to do a frame perfect roll the instant he gets up. If he does that you should be able to do a dwn b dwn a etc that should catch him from the recovery of the roll without you needing to time anything.

2. Your opponent lands outside the corner. You can try a running roll. Depending on when you start the roll you'll end up on either side of your opponent and force him to block the right way/roll again, etc. Another common trick is to do his dp D card toss, and start running at the opponent. The opponent will often try to roll before the card descends. Depending on where the opponent landed intially, rolling backwards may just make him roll into the card. If not, you can try a dwn d, fwd a blablabla as dwn d has the longest range of any of your combo starters. If he just stands and blocks the projectile try dwn d blablabla anyway - you just might get lucky.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:10

I dont know if this has been posted (or else, if i am 100% correct on this next assumption of mine)

But, after some PS2 practice, i came up to the conclusion that the ACE finisher is just about height, and not about "perfectly centering the opponent and connecting with all 7 hits" for the finisher to be executed.

the way i came up to this was:
Opponent (Tizoc in this case, so i didnt miss any of the 7 hits at a reasonable height) in corner, and Oswald just about 1 step away from him (almost next to the opponent)

then, input A version toss card (dp+A), while inputting, keep the directional pad already on the dwnfwd. position, immediately after Oswald tosses the card upwards, tap A, for the 10 to hit the opponent (10 has to hit the opponent a little before the tossed card hits him), cancel 10 with qcf+C, then cancel immediately into qcf+B and then input ace.

If you try several times with this method, there will be times when combo marks 11 hits (finisher included) and other times, it will mark 12 hits.

Variation comes because of the height opponent has when tossed card hits him after the dwnfwd A hits him (check it out inputting 10 instantly after A version card toss, and then try again inputting 10 about a second after card toss animation comes out)

10 = dwnfwd+A (if i recall correctly)