Shingo (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sun Jul 02, 2006 14:39

Shingo has an EASY 95% corner combo with his LDM.

j. B, std C, f + B, qcf + A, LDM

The reason why it does 95% is because of the extra hit when he falls down. Normally, if done outside the corner and/or done at the "wrong" distance from the corner, the extra hit misses. However, the prior hits before the LDM puts Shingo in the perfect position to get that extra hit (similar to how you gotta properly "position" Oswald to get his ghey Ace to connect).

Problem is, Shingo has a harder time cornerfucking the opponent than Kyo does. You will probably need 2 skill stocks to do this, as your other two characters are probably gonna be the ones pushing the opponent into the corner and therefore setting the switch out for Shingo's LDM combo.

Kyo is an excellent setup for Shingo, fittingly enough.

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Mon Jul 03, 2006 17:29

I find I need to delay the qcfA slightly after fwdB to get the 'headdive' part to hit.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 00:34

Yeah, to get that extra hit to hit, it's entirely dependent upon where and when you start your stuff and who you're switching from and what move they do, but learning how to land that extra hit is damn well worth it. Even if he gets damage scaled he does a LOT of damage from the LDM for some reason... I remember reading a long while ago of how Shingo's LDM doesn't get hit as hard by the damage scaling as other characters, so it's good to learn how to take advantage of its insane damage capabilities in the corner.

Oh, you guys probably know this, but Shingo's one of the few characters that can vertical hop and access his vertical jump normals. You used to be able to do this in 2k3 for all characters by "hyper" vertical hopping, but unfortunately they took that universal ability away. Shingo however gets access to his very very very godly vertical jump D. He kicks at a direct 45 degree angle downwards. Very abusable, very high priority. Good hit and blockstun. If you manage to get your opponent into the corner with Shingo, this will be your main weapon to keep them there.

christensenray
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by christensenray » Fri Jul 07, 2006 01:14

Somebody posted before that Shingo is not that great a rushdown character, but i disagree.

He has the same jB as Kyo, an even better jD, can cancel normals into his command roll (qcb+A) AND has a command throw that juggles. His mind games are incredible.

One question though: from time to time his qcf+C gets an extra hit. Is there a way to guarantee that extra hit every time, or is it completely random. The fact that you can guarantee the extra hit from his LDM and from Ossies Ace move makes me think there MUST be a way.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Fri Jul 07, 2006 03:12

The extra hit is completely random. It hits for damage equal to a DM, and on counter hit it hits for damage equal to an LDM, so if there was an actual way to do it, this would make Shingo broken.

In fact, the Conqueror's Guide mook also says it's random.

If I were to make some made-up statistic right now, on the spot, I'd say it works in about 1 out of 10 times. Not too bad. You might see it once every two fights or so. You may even see it twice on one fight. As you can see, it's 100% random.

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Sun Jul 09, 2006 14:52

Iie-Kyo wrote:
Blastrezz wrote:Since this is my first time ever trying out Shingo (I hate the design) please tell me about his jump-ins. What's best to use for clean jump-ins? I cannot decide between B, C (....)
jump B - exactly like Kyo's jump B. Use as you would Kyo's.

jump C - see above
Enlighten me please. When would a Kyo player use j.C instead of B? I never figured that out, either. I normally only see jump B.
I'm no Kyo expert.

--Blast

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Sun Jul 09, 2006 21:26

Blastrezz wrote: Enlighten me please. When would a Kyo player use j.C instead of B? I never figured that out, either. I normally only see jump B.
I'm no Kyo expert.

--Blast
I'm not much of a Kyo expert either, but I generally use jump C when I have frame advantage, i.e. I'm almost sure he's not going to be able to pull out an anti-air and is going to have to block my jump C. If nothing else, I'm pretty sure Jump C breaks the opponent's guard faster than Jump B. Also, depending on which year's KOF you play, Jump C is a pretty decent crossup too, though in XI you'll almost definitely want to stick to Jump B for crossup attempts.

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Sun Jul 09, 2006 22:51

jump C will be like a meaty, before kof XI jump C was the attack to use. for Shingo who doesnt have the jump B of kyo jump C is a good air to ground.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 07:53

Blastrezz wrote:Enlighten me please. When would a Kyo player use j.C instead of B? I never figured that out, either. I normally only see jump B.
I'm no Kyo expert.

--Blast
You misread me.

jump B - exactly like Kyo's jump B. Use as you would Kyo's.

jump C - I guess the way I expressed it was a bit unclear. I basically meant take the sentence above and place it here, replace the "B" with "C". As in: "exactly like Kyo's jump C. Use as you would Kyo's."

Jump C, as PS pointed out, is used when you have someone blocking stuff - whether this is from making them block a well-placed hop D, a jump B, whatever. It's not god against crouchers, but it's still very much useful.

You can also use this early in air to air to beat someone in the air, since it comes out REALLY fast.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Mon Jul 10, 2006 08:13

I know this is going to sound a bit illogical but if you're using Shingo, and the opponent is dead set on switching just repeatedly do hop/jump attacks...

I found out recently that Shingo's jumping normals cannot be saving shifted from... he's the only one, too. Could it be a bug?

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Mon Jul 10, 2006 19:53

alexis wrote:I know this is going to sound a bit illogical but if you're using Shingo, and the opponent is dead set on switching just repeatedly do hop/jump attacks...

I found out recently that Shingo's jumping normals cannot be saving shifted from... he's the only one, too. Could it be a bug?
if this is true Shingo will get a big advantage.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 21:45

alexis wrote:I know this is going to sound a bit illogical but if you're using Shingo, and the opponent is dead set on switching just repeatedly do hop/jump attacks...

I can confirm this. None of Shingo's air normals can be saving shifted out of.

A bug? Maybe... an intentional feature? Who knows... but yeah, is he the only one that has this property?

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Thu Jul 13, 2006 16:41

Iie-Kyo wrote:You misread me.
No :) I didn't misread you. I interpreted exactly the way you explained :)

That's why I wrote "i only see j.B and not j.C" as in normally everybody only uses j.B that means Shingo would also only use j.B.
But you said j.C of Shingo should be used like j.C of Kyo which implicates that Shingo would use j.C for at least for SOMETHING.

To sum it up: use Kyo/Shingo j.B for pressure and "unsure" jump-ins also Cross-Ups and against crouching opponents and use j.C against crouchers and for save jump-ins as in "I'm sure this ji. will hit because my opp. is in a move recovery animation".

Is this right now? :D

So far I think Shingo's j.D covers ALL of this up so there would be no use for Shingo to use j.B and j.C , hehe what do you think?

--Blast

PS: That non saving shiftability thingy sounds nice :D

christensenray
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by christensenray » Fri Jul 14, 2006 00:18

jD does not cross over the way jB does. Plus, jD takes a bit of time to come out, whereas jB is instant.

Other than that, jD is godly. Almost the best jumping move in the game (apart from, say, Jazu's jE).

Ooh, a new Dragonlance novel coming... About time this site advertised something good...

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Fri Jul 14, 2006 04:29

Oh yeah... it cant be save shifted.... Thats why my clark was making all this switch sprite(the one he ducks and points to the enemy before switching) while my opp. is hopping B/C/D like crazy!!!

The damage of jump C, stand C, fwd+b, qcf+C(with random critical hit on) is nasty!!! It takes more life than his B&B DM combo!