Best Super, Best Battery Move

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer
Best Super, Best Battery Move

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun Oct 15, 2006 06:26

Ack. Empy's supposed to have started this thread eon's ago.

Anyway, thread title says it all. Post the supers that you think are best and the special moves that are the best batteries.

Notable candidates for supers:

- Gato: A Palm Slap, both Kick Supers
- Kula: A Diamond Edge, Diamond Edge Max
- Malin: 'Show me the panties' Kick Super, Air Super (?)
- Clark: His new punchy super, Running Three (Bug abuse!)
- Terry: Buster Wolf
- Silber: Counter Super
- Eiji: Tensa ZANGETSU... Cutting Blade Super
- Oswald: Moon Slash Super
- Adel: Genocide Cutter
- Ash: Green Cheeseball Super
- Shen Woo: Punch Super
- K': Heat Drive (counter damage omg hax)

Notable Candidates for best battery:

- Gato: qcb+K> A (meh, gg short sighted game devs)

Yeah... it pretty much seems that Gato has the game rigged in his favour. Thoughts, comments, dirty jokes?

Persona
last rank
last rank
A.K.A.:BANNED
Currently Playing:BANNED

Post by Persona » Sun Oct 15, 2006 06:51

I vote for Gato's kick super cuz it's probably the only normal super to have an anywhere juggle hit!

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun Oct 15, 2006 08:44

Oooh, that reminds me

Elizabeth's Rectum Impaler DM should be up there too.

I'm sure there are 1-2 more DM's with all-juggle that I've forgotton about C Rai O Ken? Meh.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sun Oct 15, 2006 08:52

Kula's Diamond Edge isn't all that great IMHO outside of combos. If we're talking DMs that you can pull out of the blue as a twitch move and connect with I'd say Gato, K', Eiji, Malin, Silber and Iori take the prize for all their DMs. For specific DMs, Adel's Genocide Cutter (both versions), Shen's punch DM, Mary's Dynamite Swing, Duck's Break Spiral, Oswald's Royal Flush, Jenet's Aurora and Clark's UABB are all pretty awesome as twitch moves.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun Oct 15, 2006 09:08

Eh... A Diamond Edge is fast... At the very least, it often trades hits, ala, 2k3 Power Geyser. C version sucks, of course.

As for Diamond Edge MAX, its clearly one of the best DM's in the game. 1 frame, LDM damage+ DCable, comboable off all sorts of hits, ice geysers still hit for counter damage on trade. Its only got 2 'bad' points. 1) 2 levels 2) Not all juggle.

Gato's Kick super is the other strong candidate for best because all-juggle+ DC-able+ backed by Gato's ridiculously strong jump attacks= borderline broken. It just gives Gato sooo many combo openings off safe attack angles.

So, yeah, I'm not just talking about twitch moves, but general utility. I was kinda joking when I put in Clark's Running Three, but omg free DM against incoming at least deserves mention.

Mary's Kick DM, just like Bonne's Kick DM aren't there because compared to say, Malin's (which is comparatively safe, and has damage options off trade) and Gato's, they just don't bring anything to the table. They're unsafe on block, have poor coverage against 'vertical' attacks, and aren't even fully invulnerable to boot (they randomly get beat out by stuff they should be beating).

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Mon Oct 16, 2006 04:54

Nah, Liz's DM is good only in combos or as an anywhere juggle. It's got horrible priority as a twitch move. She gets snuffed by just about any attack during the forward dash.

I prefer Gato's palm DM over the kick version because that's safe on block, and it eats hoppers like... something that eats hoppers. Although the kick DM is awesome when he's leader.

Kyo's 182 Shiki is decent as a twitch move, but I wouldn't call it awesome though. Hayate's multirang is pretty decent too, though it sucks that the boomerangs disappear when he gets hit, so you can't trade hits with it.

Yuri's Shin Shoryuken is surprisingly effective as a ground twitch move IMHO.
Last edited by Tel on Mon Oct 16, 2006 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Mon Oct 16, 2006 07:02

Best battery has to go to Gato: qcb+K> A

u can store 2 power stocks before u even get 1 skill stock!

Best super would prob be Gato's Qcf x 2 Punch.

Comes out extremely fast and has Insane recovery.

Benimaru's hcb D with opponent in corner (when opponent has no stock) builds stock pretty nicely, block or no block.

Malin's/Mary's Qcf X 2 DM for AA is pretty good as well.

Does Kula's Qcf x2 E count? =)

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Mon Oct 16, 2006 08:18

Malin's qcf+B is a real bitch for battery. Nasty damage, practically safe on block and QSable. Builds up stock quickly too.

Gato has too many good options if you ask me. Airdash > jump D lets you start a jump-in from any distance, which is just ridiculous. Throw in the fact that you can just qcb+P/K first and watch your opponent's response first before using any of the followups, and you can say Gato can pull a defence or offence from the same starter move.

Kula's hop A/C is all the battery she needs, but Gato's qcb+K > A is hands down the number one battery move in the game alright.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Mon Oct 16, 2006 08:57

Tel wrote:Malin's qcf+B is a real bitch for battery. Nasty damage, practically safe on block and QSable. Builds up stock quickly too.
sadly to say this, but Malin's qcf+B is hazardous against Ozwald's LDM.

After Ozzie blocks, you wont have time to recover and block his LDM. Makes me think twice about spamming it.

I believe it is the case for Gato's Qcf x 2 Punch, though I havent seen that in action.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:32

I know Eiji and Terry are pretty decent batts as well, although there aren't any particular moves that make them good batteries. Just the general safeness of their specials.

Kyo does good when he can corner the opponent with the stand C> 75 Shiki Kai corner trap. General safeness argument applies to him too.

I'm trying to compile a list of moves that can punish Malin's qcf+K. Hate that move with a passion. I think Adel and Silber's LDM can do the job too. Buster Wolf?

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Mon Oct 16, 2006 16:56

Derrick wrote:sadly to say this, but Malin's qcf+B is hazardous against Ozwald's LDM.

After Ozzie blocks, you wont have time to recover and block his LDM. Makes me think twice about spamming it.

I believe it is the case for Gato's Qcf x 2 Punch, though I havent seen that in action.
Yeah, but consider that you're using an LDM to snuff a normally unpunishable move.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Duck, considering how he can simply poke away with impunity, and his jump C/D is pretty effective in air-to-air. Want some space? qcf+C,C and you're suddenly at sweep distance away. Someone who tries running up to him to punish that is likely to eat a Break Spiral.

Eiji's sweep > dp+A > sweep loop makes him quite a bitch. If anyone is going to be an ass with him, you aren't going to be able to do anything until you have stock to counter E or enough time had passed for you to use a Saving Shift. Of which by then the Eiji user probably has full stock bars while you're probably about to be guard crushed. And unfortunately, there's precious few people who won't be an ass with Eiji.

Up close I think you can just poke Terry out of anything he tries to pull at you besides a Buster Wolf or Power Dunk. If he Breaks the Dunk, you can just poke him.

Kyo is awesome for battery in the corner, and it's not hard to get him to corner someone anyway. qcf+A, qcf+B,B and df+D canceled into qcf+A give him relatively safe battery options. The only catch is, you can't fall into pattern or you're screwed if someone rolls. Eiji is ridiculousy safe on roll, so you have to guard cancel E.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Mon Oct 16, 2006 17:33

Eiji is generally weak against guard cancel rolls and sweeps.

I can't really decide between the Palm super and the Kick super. Generally speaking, you use his palms if you want to hit the opponent before they can hit you. You use his legs if you want to whack through what your opponent is throwing at you. XD

And in both cases, if you trade(esp with the palm super), the opponent usually gets the shorter end of the stick.

Makashi_Menace
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Makashi_Menace » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:18

Benimaru's HCB D and HCB A are rather good moves for storing power.

A good DM that you can do on twitch is Shen Woo's Punch DM... Insanely fast... And if it scores a counter hit, the enemy get wired too.

I am not going to talk about LDMs, as there is another thread about the best LDMs already.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Tue Oct 17, 2006 16:46

If one really wants to rate the DMs in this game, some criteria should be set.

Damage(when done alone/in combo.):
Speed:
Invincibility:
Lag:
Ease of comboing into it:
Dream Cancelable or not:

Anyway, there is no contest that Gato has the best supers. Forcing one to choose which is better is a torture. XD

Makashi_Menace
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Makashi_Menace » Tue Oct 17, 2006 20:13

Shen Woo Punch (Qcfx2 Punch)

Damage(when done alone/in combo.): When done alone, damage is pretty good (as expected of most 1-hit DMs). Damage is reduced decently when used in comboes (even more when super-cancelled into), but I have seen other DMs get even worse damage-reductions, so I m not complaing about this one!

Speed: Very fast!!! Able to cover slightly more than 1/2 screen distance within a second. Because of its speed, this DM is very good when used as a twitch move.

Invincibility: I've heard that A version gives lower body invincibility and C versions gives upper body, but I've not seen concrete proof or statements to back this up. Besides, I have never tried to perform this DM against fireballs...

Lag: Shen Woo does take 1 second to recover, so fast moves & grapples will definitely punish him.

Ease of comboing into it: Very very easy. The player has all the time in the world to input the DM motion after Shen's BnB Stand C -> Fwd+B command. DM is also easily super-cancelled from Shen's Qcf Punch move, which makes it a 99.9% sure-connect super-cancel DM.

Dream Cancelable or not: Don't think so... But I never use Shen as leader anyway.

Special Properties: If this DM lands a counter hit, the opponents gets wired, which means Shen gets to inflict more damage!