QS Morphthroughs

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops
QS Morphthroughs

Post by Perfect Stranger » Sat Aug 19, 2006 06:31

Made a new thread for this instead of just lumping it in with the existing QS threads because I think it's an advanced enough topic that it deserves its own thread. As to what exactly a morphthrough combo is: as first brought to my attention by Slapper Joe, it's basically a situation where you can QS in a character, land, and do an attack that causes you to suddenly appear behind your opponent. Credit also goes to him for coming up with the name.

Anyway, from http://blog.livedoor.jp/kofcombo/

List of characters who can QS Morphthrough
VANESSA
JANET
K'
OSWALD
CLARK
Jazu
KULA
KING
Gato
Shingo
MAXIMA
Griffon
Eiji
MARY
RYO
ELISABETH
Kim
RALF
ATHENA
ADELHELD
Hayate
Benimaru
SILVER
Hotaru
Tung Fu Rue
EXKyo
MR.BIG
GEESE

List of characters who *cannot* QS morphthrough
ASH
SHEN
RAMON
DUO LON
DUCK KING
Kasumi
MALIN
TERRY
Kyo
Iori
YURI
KENSOU
MOMOKO
Gai
Shiki
Magaki
Mai
ROBERT

Exception
WHIP

以上列表是本人研究逆向連續技時的初步結果,希望對你們有幫助,(如有錯請留言告之)
QS出來時如果屬於是可逆向體質只要在QS出來之前的招式有適當的DELAY才QS,之後在QS出來的角色著地時同時出招就可以做成逆向效果,而每一招的DELAY時間各有不同,要各位自己嘗試,不論是地面技或是空中技都可以(有一些招只能在版邊才可以逆向),但能不能連上就要看QS之前的招式另對手的硬直夠不夠耐或空中追打時間夠不夠長,另外WHIP屬於特殊體質QS WHIP出來時會在對手中間想正面或逆向也可以,但要限定著地時一定的招式,逆向還有另一個用途,就是可以快速過背做多擇,如果熟用在對戰時連續技及多擇的變化會大大提高。

現在正在研究逆向可做成計算錯誤使對手方向調轉,可以另到對手一瞬間背向,能否做成GUARD不能還在研究中。

Translation:
The list above are the preliminary results of my personal research into QS Morphthrough combos, hope they are of use (If there's any mistake kindly leave a message). If the character you're QSing into belongs to the the list of characters who can QS morphthrough, as long as you delay QSing the move you're QSing from by a suitable amount, then if you input an attack at the same instance when you land, then you'll be able to morphthrough. However, the delay needed before QSing is different for every move, and I'll leave that for you to experiment for yourselves. You are able to morphthrough both while the opponent is on the ground and while being juggled in the air. (Some moves can only be morphthroughed in the corner). However, whether or not the morphthrough results in a combo depends on the hit stun of the ground move you're QSing from, or the amount of juggle time allowed for moves that juggle the opponent in the air.

Also, Whip exists as an exception to the normal QS morphthrough rules. The Whip player can choose to morphthrough to the opponent's back or to stay in his front, but this is dependent on what attacks she uses when she lands from the QS.

Another use for the QS morphthrough is of course the rapid speed at which you can cross up your opponent, if you are able to apply the technique in actual matches then your ability to mixup will be greatly increased.

(Translator's note: Not too sure about this last part, but:)
Currently researching methods on how to use QS morphthrough to get the opponent to face the way you want, to get backturned for an instance. Whether or not this can result in an unblockable combo is still under research.

-end livedoor blog translation.

Personal notes:

I haven't done much experimentation into QS morphthrough myself, but basically there are 3 factors you need to consider: a) the move you're QSing from (and the delay you need for that move), b) whether the opponent is blocking or not (it's been my observation that QS morphthroughs work a lot better with moves that overlap the opponent by quite an amount, and since the push back distance for moves on block is a lot higher than for moves on hit, QS morphthrough tends to be more difficult on block), and c) whether the character you're QSing into can morphthrough or not.

For starters, try QSing Oswald in from the first followup to Maxima's qcf p move, or on the 2nd hit of Malin's qcf k taser. Land, do stand d or something, and you'll notice you hit the opponent from the other side.

If anyone has more detailed information, kindly post, thanks.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:00

And obviously certain moves to set it up are better than others. In my eyes Jyazu's chainsaw is the best setup for this. On block you want to get out anyways to avoid punishment so having the free crossup works wonders. Covers most of the screen and is hard to jump or roll so people learn to just block. You can almost get careless with it once you have a skill stock.

Gai's f+D gives half bar on hit or a low/high/crossup mixup on block with this. If this could tick into his command grab I'd agree with the A rank. This still makes it an awesome weapon.

I'm pretty sure this list also does a pretty good job of showing who it is easy to land double palm combos on.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Kane317 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:27

Wow. This, IMHO, is one of those rare 'Ah-ha' moments in KOF. Like back in '97 when they discovered Terry's Power Charge infinite by empty cancelling a normal or if you're old school, when they first figured out a 2-in-1 SF combo.

This also explains how the hell Oswald switches sides after a QS from Kyo in that infamous 'Kyo+Oswald Remake' youtube combo by SSStar. If you haven't seen the video, I'm referring to the fact that Oswald has certain double wire corner combos that require his back AGAINST the corner. Normally, aside from crossing up, it's quite hard to get your back into the corner when you're on the offense; with the QS morphthrough technique, you can do any corner combo on an opponent, QS morphthrough into Oswald and satisfy the requirement with Oswald's back in the corner.

This youtube clip illustrates QS morphthrough perfectly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDMhNfIKgw&NR

Damn cool. Need to test now.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Thu Aug 24, 2006 02:41

I suppose this isn't to be confused with moves and DMs that anyone will QS by switching sides (like Silber's qcf,hcb+P's second hit or Gato's qcf,qcf+P's first hit).

Or maybe that's an example of that? Sounds very cool, though. Must try.

Perfect Stranger

Post by Perfect Stranger » Thu Aug 24, 2006 05:26

That's exactly it, actually.

Geese
Powering up...61%
Powering up...61%

Post by Geese » Sun Sep 03, 2006 09:05

kyo + oswald remake combo isnt too hard but the setup is very tight

if Im player 1 and opponent is in the right hand side corner (note: the author posted up the directions but i do it different for one move oswalds first hit)

(kyo) jump whatever -> stand C -> qcf D,D -> qcf A -> qcf A (as quick as possible) -> hcb B (as slow as possible) -> dp C (1 hit) -> QS (oswald) -> qcf A -> qcb B (still from player 1 perspective, meaning left to right) the rest of the combo is up to you.

if you're close you will get oswald QS in and doing Diamond into Club but if you morphed through you will get Diamond into Heart.

the reason for doing kyo's second qcf A as quick and hcb B as slow is to get the opponent as high as possible when the first hit of the uppercut hits. if this is accomplished oswald will morphthrough guaranteed.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 06:43

Geese wrote:kyo + oswald remake combo isnt too hard but the setup is very tight

if Im player 1 and opponent is in the right hand side corner (note: the author posted up the directions but i do it different for one move oswalds first hit)

(kyo) jump whatever -> stand C -> qcf D,D -> qcf A -> qcf A (as quick as possible) -> hcb B (as slow as possible) -> dp C (1 hit) -> QS (oswald) -> qcf A -> qcb B (still from player 1 perspective, meaning left to right) the rest of the combo is up to you.

if you're close you will get oswald QS in and doing Diamond into Club but if you morphed through you will get Diamond into Heart.

the reason for doing kyo's second qcf A as quick and hcb B as slow is to get the opponent as high as possible when the first hit of the uppercut hits. if this is accomplished oswald will morphthrough guaranteed.
Nice. I will test it.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Wed Jan 03, 2007 21:41

This is a long time due, but maybe we should start a list of moves that initiate QS morphthroughs. Unless stated all these cause morphthroughs both on block and on hit, although some obviously require a hit (like Silber's Counter Super and Ranbu) Here are some for starters:

Hayate:

- QCB+ C (2nd Hit).

Jazu:

- QCB+P

Duo Lon:

- F+A
- HCB+P (after qcf+A> f+B)

Eiji:

- d.D (1st hit)
- close s.D (1st hit)

Oswald:

- d.D (1st hit)
- QCB+P (both hits)

Gato:

- QCF*2+P
- QCF*2+K
- close s.D (1st hit)

Malin:

- QCF*2+K
- QCF+ K (Morphs on 1 hit on block, morphs on 1st and 2nd hit on hit)

Duck King:

- DP+ D (1st hit)

The only character who doesn't get a morphthrough after the 1st hit of his 2 hit attacks?

Ryo:

- hcb, f+K (only on immediate QS)
- qcf*2+ E (Leader) (only on immediate QS)
- qcf, hcb+P (14th hit)

Maxima:

- close s.C (1st hit)
- qcf+P (after qcf+P)

Silber:

- qcf, hcb+P (2nd hit)
- hcb, f+P (2nd hit)

Kula:

- close s.C (1st hit)
- close s.D (1st hit)
- I suspect DP+C too, but good luck getting that to work...

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Tue Jan 09, 2007 13:01

Ever since i saw 3 star vids doing morphthroughs i always wonder how it was done. I havent check out what has been written in regards to this subject yet nor have i had time to test them out. But in these vids

http://nz.cdpa.nsysu.edu.tw/ZERO_NEWS/d ... M_2006.htm

it deplays some morphthroughs. Not sure if there are any new ones but something to view anyways. This is the same post i did for the combo vid thread also.

Perfect Stranger

Post by Perfect Stranger » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:47

Adel's fwd b command move also allows for morphthrough on block or hit.

Sonic_e7
Charging...8%
Charging...8%

Post by Sonic_e7 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 06:02

there is many moves, i wanted to name the morpth thru until acid told me it was already here million yrs ago.... anyway, ash dm, k' dm,adel qcfx2D... acid, could we make a guild after all the tourney is over...