Shion (XI) - PS2 Version

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Wed Jun 28, 2006 21:11

alexis wrote:You mean they do lots of guard damage? Because everyone's normals do guard damage, just some more than others (Tizoc and Maxima come to mind).
Haven't even touched Shion before, but I'm pretty sure he means chip damage, like you get when you block specials.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Thu Jun 29, 2006 03:39

Oh... I get it.

I just checked and it's true, her spear's normals do chip damage.

As if she wasn't overpowered enough lol

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:14

Sure, chip damage was the correct term in this case. Thanks PS.

As XI is a game with guard crush one cannot use guard damage as a term as it would indicate damage to the guard meter and not to the health bar.

Multiple Tourney winner from Germany btw. also is of the opinion that she is overpowered.
Sad :-(

--Blast

Monpochi
Cancel Combo Mode
A.K.A.:Credens Justitiam

Post by Monpochi » Thu Jun 29, 2006 13:49

Aww, so that hope of her being worthy of tournaments didn't happen Blast.

Who knows? maybe she'll be back in XII, there's tons of Wushu moves that can be done for her. I bet she'll become okay by then. :|

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Thu Jun 29, 2006 17:54

IMHO she is unfortunately heavily overpowered.

She has unblockable moves, especially that nice dp+provocation rock when she has her spear. WTF? Of course, you can avoid that if you roll, but if Shion forces you to block with a combo, the rock will hit you and still be unblockable even though you are in block stun (and according to the mook, does 50 damage; 58 on Counter).

And her fireball is unstoppable, you're often left with no choice that to block or eat it or try to jump. Not to mention that her fireball does a nice ammount of guard crush damage.

Plus all you need to do a nice combo is land her crouch B.

(wushu) crouch B, crouch B, f+E, anything

To combo into the LDM, finish the combo with dp+A (much like CPU Shion does). The LDM hits on the way up because the opponent is way too high. Plus two of the rocks hit, and sometimes the third one does, but I think it's a timing thing. With the LDM finish, does about 70% damage. It's pretty much the only USEFUL way to hit her LDM.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Shirakani » Fri Jun 30, 2006 18:19

Shion really doesn't need her LDM at all. The key to playing her IMO is to poke the opponent to death with her spear. If you lose it, use her cB cB f+E qcf+E combo to get it back easily...

Main spear tactic is poke with the lights, then land a far C/D cancelled to DM, that alone done twice will pretty much kill you.

If you corner your opponent with the spear, hop and use her jump C/D to apply pressure and force your opponent into heavy defensive, then dp+taunt and try and keep them in the corner long enuf for the rock to come down. If you can force them into blockstun just as the rock comes down, gg no re...coz it's not hard to corner anyone with her spear at all, she's a worse pokewhore than Billy.

Her dp+K may have autoguard on some frames, but i believe that it isn't THAT good of an anti air. If the autoguard was along the lines of say, Kusanagi 2k3's Oniyaki, then yeah....best anti air ever coz it autoguards your mother and dog. But i've had times when i've tried to pull it as a twitch counter on an incoming Gato/Oswald, and it's been stuffed by their jumpins. You have to pull it SLIGHTLY early in order for it to be good.

Also, no one's mentioned it but one of her crouching moves in Wushu stance (the one where she punches with both hands, one overhead) has an autoguard that can be used similar to a offensive Ryo parry, and cancel into a DM pretty easily. I think it's her crouching C. This frame will block THEN hit. Of all the times i've gone against the CPU Shion when she used this, it's never traded hits, it always guards THEN hits and then she cancels to her flag DM, bleh.

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Sat Jul 01, 2006 02:01

Shirakani wrote:Also, no one's mentioned it but one of her crouching moves in Wushu stance (the one where she punches with both hands, one overhead) has an autoguard (...)
No no, I HAVE MENTIONED IT. :D
Read above :p

Also the things about her LDM after dp+A what alexis wrote I already stated before.

No offence guys. Just to rectify things ;D

--Blast

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Sat Jul 01, 2006 05:22

I kinda prefer using her in wushu style since she has the option of autoguarding anything thrown her way.

Her infinite (in spear stance) is a simple multiple hop C or D , D hits more.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Shirakani » Tue Jul 04, 2006 15:33

Forgot if it's been mentioned or not but, her qcf+K move in spear stance is SCable.

Also, another little tidbit, the dp+Taunt move with spear that sends the rock crashing down from above will NOT work if Shion is too close to the corner. You need to stand her at least approximately 3 char widths away from the corner (about the actual width of the rock itself) for it to actually fall.

If Shion is too close and there is no room for the rock to appear, she'll just throw the spear up but no rock will fall. So if you're trying to keep your opponent in the corner and drop the rock on them, you'll have to do it when you're not fully IN the corner, hop back a step or so, throw the spear, THEN pressure. If you non-recovery knock them down in the corner first (not hard at all), you have plenty of time to throw the thing and still remain at the optimal distance for her crouch B to tag them if they try to roll out.

Trying to jump out is almost suicide, but doable. The rock will usually hit them before they're even away from the corner. The only option is to roll, and that's where the positioning is crucial. It becomes almost something like Silber's LDM DC from qcf 2x+K. Either block it, and eat the LDM DC, or don't block and just eat the damage. This is almost like that...either just eat the rock, or roll and take chances with getting tagged with a crouch B.

As mentioned before, Shion's crouch B is the only one in the game with zero pushback, and her b&b combo can be done from the max range of the crouch B with no trouble at all.

Pretty nasty little strategy if you ask me, but Shion doesn't need this to win....not at all...

Lynko
Charging...85%
Charging...85%

Post by Lynko » Tue Jul 04, 2006 20:05

So if someone didn't have the taunt button set (and thus didn't have access to her arrows and huge rock), would she be considered not QUITE as cheap, but still kind of cheap (her jumping D and all..)? I don't have the taunt button set, but I've been really wanting to learn her for Vs. Play.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Tue Jul 04, 2006 22:22

She's not cheap but she has a wide variety of moves, her spear stance helps keep opponents at a distance, etc.

But yes, somehow the unblockable chunk of ceiling still leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth lol

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:27

Lynko wrote:So if someone didn't have the taunt button set (and thus didn't have access to her arrows and huge rock), would she be considered not QUITE as cheap, but still kind of cheap (her jumping D and all..)? I don't have the taunt button set, but I've been really wanting to learn her for Vs. Play.
You really shouldn't do that if you are going to play competitively because I assume she will be banned everywhere on serious versus gaming events.

--Blast

Monpochi
Cancel Combo Mode
A.K.A.:Credens Justitiam

Post by Monpochi » Thu Jul 06, 2006 15:32

If only the arrow attack won't continue if she got hit and the rock is blockable, then that would put away a bit of her overpoweredness.

Playing her, i thought of some things that IMO could've make her be used competitively. I am not really good at these things but beh do tell me what you think... :P

- taking some pixels off her spear stance. But removing the disappearance of her spear when she's hit.
- qcf + P having shorter range if done on air and limited coverage in ground version.
- taking off the Guard Break on the first hit of her QCB + P and instead make it just faster.
- her crouch D being reduced to 1 hit.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Jul 21, 2006 02:06

Can anyone read the kanji for her movelist? Trying to decipher them is driving me nuts! :(

orochan
Charging...35%
Charging...35%
A.K.A.:Leona addict
Currently Playing:Gyakuten Kenji, Yakuza3, GH5
XBL:orochan
PSN:orochi_leona

Post by orochan » Sat Aug 26, 2006 00:20

We need more Shion love!

Well... I do... I'm trying to learn her, looking for any combos that look cool, I don't care about damage... I'm going to use Shion in a non-cheap, styly way LMAO

I don't have much in the way of styly combos other than c.B,c.B,c.D,sj.qcf+C away from corner and c.B,c.B,c.D,dp+D/dp+A in a corner... i need some more variation on the starting hits