Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:16

shame they didn't release XI 2.0 in the arcades. If Namco can do it, why not SNKP?

so.... let's imagine I never touched or will ever touch this in the arcade.

should I play arrange mode only?

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Shirakani » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:47

Even if you've never touched XI arcade, try both then decide. Some ppl prefer chars to be 'simpler' (ie, 2k2/2k3) while others want more options, more comboability, more poking, etc.

So it's down to your preference of what you consider a good KOF game. If you want a simpler, less pokewhorey, crazyjuggly KOF, arrange mode is for you. If you want a KOF2k with a bit more balance, then arcade mode is for you.

shura
Charging...50%
Charging...50%

Post by shura » Fri Jul 14, 2006 14:47

blah

kofXI is kofXi not this strange arrange mode
when i wait for a ps2 port i want the most original game as possible due to the high price of the original arcade version..

personally i dislike balancing wannabe done in ps2 ports, i can appreciate 3D bgs and flame effects even if they don't fit kof but i totally disagree with game tweaks

in fact i'm going to borrow the atomiswave original cart

so no ngbc chars and no crappy balances

if you find gato hard to beat remember that xi is a game on the road from less a year so you obviously suffer new stuff
but think that if this game will be played often you'll surely learn how to deal with top or god tiers
take for example street fighter 3s..chun li and ken are miles away from the rest of the cast but after 6 or so years of gameplay i think anyone can handle a matchup even with hugo or at least cannot suffer a shit spamming ken with 2 hours of total gameplay

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Sun Jul 16, 2006 04:19

I seriously doubt SNK Playmore could get away with charging arcade operators $2k+ (depending on currency) for a DVD and a security DIMM like Namco did with DR.

If you every plan of playing against others you may as well stick to arcade. I know for a fact playing my teams in arrange mode before heading off to the arcade has had a significant impact on my win ratio. I'd go as far as saying arrange mode is better, but all it is realistically good for is XII preperation.

Gato is the spamable one, not Ken. Gato's stuff is not some sort of new unseen playstyle that people will be able to adapt to. His links are stupid and his autopilot is just too safe and solid. As much as I hate to say it, 3S is the better balanced game by a LOOONG way.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:13

Yeah, but consider how many board revisions 3S has gone thru, compared to XI.

Not really a fair comparison there.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:46

Thing is rev. A is defacto for tournaments so it in fact does apply. Only capcom game that I can recall that tries to actively avoid the first revision is XvsSF which I'm pretty sure is generally accepted as using revision 2 (of 9 or so.)

B was pretty much never accepted, much like arrange mode. Only change in tiering in B might be Urien probably dropping below Makoto and Dudley, instead of just possibly.

Monpochi
Cancel Combo Mode
A.K.A.:Credens Justitiam

Post by Monpochi » Sun Jul 16, 2006 19:43

Sorry to barge in with the current topic, i just want to add something..

Shion
- Her initial stance is always the spear stance.
- Her air attacks on spear stance don't go the whole way anymore.

Lynko
Charging...85%
Charging...85%

Post by Lynko » Tue Aug 15, 2006 15:54

A few random inclusions too..

Jenet's jump C only does 1 hit now. (I was actually kind of hoping that they'd switch her DM's invincey on startup properties back to how they were and make her QCFx2+P dm not get hit out of so easily and actually BEAT something)
Shion's fireball thingy has longer recovery time.

kuro kuma
I'm not a bot! :3

Post by kuro kuma » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:43

(this is only directed to the people who keep bitchin about the arrange mode changes.)

first i want to say no offense to anyone on this bord. this is just my opinion but i gotta say, i hate lazy gamers. i truly do. they are the reason that game companies dont spend a little extra cash to make our games better than they could be. this new kof has done just that with the inclusion of arrange mode.

so they changed things that NEEDED to be changed. so now your spasmatic weak poke combos dont work anymore. learn something new.

the game has so many possabilities in the combo area that there is no reason at all for anyone to be clinging to one or two combos.

"wha?" i cant spam 30 crouching weak punches in a row to start my combo?!"...pleaaaase!

its not as suprising to me when gamers bitch about a plain old port of a arcade game that dosent offer anything new for us. but come on, SNKP has givin us a awesome full featured home port. theres no reason to bitch about it. well be lucky if they start making ports like this from now on.

its just weird to hear how many people diss the arrange mode of this game. the programers gave the option for it becouse obviously the arcade version had some too easy/wack ass combos or some over powered attacks. they worked hard to give you another fresh start to make the fun of the game last longer. they want us to rework our old combos or better yet, MAKE NEW COMBOS!...shocking idea i know.....(i blame crap games like MVC2 for this kind of gamer)

we are all very lucky to have a arrange mode that fixes dumb glitch crap from the arcade version. i for one and quite happy to have the option to make my gameplay better.

its soooooo annoying that my friends arnt willing to play arrange mode....

what im trying to say is dont be lazy, learn something new for a change.

A "GLITCH PLAYER" is a gamer who plays any game only to find the most overpowered move, character, or combo just so they can use it over and over again when they play people. when unbalanced games have finaly been balanced out though, most glitch players show their true inability to actualy PLAY the games when they dont have glitches and unbalanced gamplay to help them.

lets hope all games are balanced out in the future eh!

i want this to be my quote but its too long...shit!

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:55

A few (of many) things that you'd expect a revision that was 6-7 months in the making were changed. And a whole batch of global changes were applied that simply were not thought through. You brought up normal move links, needed to neuter Gato somewhat but in return totally screwed over both Jyazu's and Duck's play-style. Or perhaps it was molded to better cater for social and casual players, who knows.

I got to agree that they did indeed bring us a bunch of great new features, like one button infinites that do as much damage on hit as they do on block. And characters that break every rule set out by the game engine. That's just dumb and really highlights the quality control that the home port was put through.

Your sweeping generalizations also come across as nothing more than a bitch. I guess the people who got out for a competitive challenge are just plain lazy. Better stick at home and play the CPU instead. I should also point out you forgot to include the obligatory 'Throws are cheap and turtlers are cheaper' comment.

And I absolutely do not get that MvC2 remark. Your standard Magneto ROM needs a hell of a lot more motor skills than ANYTHING any KoF has to offer.

kuro kuma

Post by kuro kuma » Thu Aug 17, 2006 13:12

Slapper Joe wrote:A few (of many) things that you'd expect a revision that was 6-7 months in the making were changed. And a whole batch of global changes were applied that simply were not thought through. You brought up normal move links, needed to neuter Gato somewhat but in return totally screwed over both Jyazu's and Duck's play-style. Or perhaps it was molded to better cater for social and casual players, who knows.

I got to agree that they did indeed bring us a bunch of great new features, like one button infinites that do as much damage on hit as they do on block. And characters that break every rule set out by the game engine. That's just dumb and really highlights the quality control that the home port was put through.

Your sweeping generalizations also come across as nothing more than a bitch. I guess the people who got out for a competitive challenge are just plain lazy. Better stick at home and play the CPU instead. I should also point out you forgot to include the obligatory 'Throws are cheap and turtlers are cheaper' comment.

And I absolutely do not get that MvC2 remark. Your standard Magneto ROM needs a hell of a lot more motor skills than ANYTHING any KoF has to offer.

yo bro, like i said this is just one mans opinion, if you dont like it get bent.

the people who played the arrange version and found the new problems at least went out and played it. i dont have to like it when people i play dont want to do anything but the same things over and over, and no that dosent mean i am complaining about it becouse i got my ass kicked or something like that so you can keep your cheap throws coment to yourself prick. i dont even belive in the word cheap. you may have noticed i didnt use the word when describing my hate for carbon copy fighting game players if you where not in such a hurry to sound all high n mighty in your response. i also said i dont like lazy gamers, that means only lazy gamers whoever they may be. i didnt call out any by name nor did i say all gamers are lazy so your sweeping G comment was uncalled for. i guess thats YOUR sweeping generalization based off of my rant?....bitch. i bet you just call out newbie to anyone who has a opinion you dont like eh?

as for how long ago those original comments about arrange mode where made, it dosent matter at all to me. i was reading this site then and long before that. i never had a adress to register for orochinagi till today, so sorry im late.

i like to play fighting games becouse each match is different than the last. but when people only do the same shit over and over it just gets annoying, WIN OR LOSE.

ofcourse everyone has the right to play as they wish, i just felt like adding my ideas on the matter based off of my friends lazyness and the complaints that where stated before. this is what this site is for right? sharing your ideas/feelings (good or bad) about these games?

just so you know, i also never said i am the kof master or something. but your attitude leads me to belive you think you are. my post was my bitchy rant and nothing more.

you dont like it, dont read it master kof player. come correct or get corrected.

oh and MVC2 is one of the most horrible game ever made. im not even going to get into that.....
if you didnt understand what i meant when i mentioned mvc2 dont fret, there are millions of people out there who are indeed different than you.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Thu Aug 17, 2006 17:36

kuro kuma wrote:(this is only directed to the people who keep bitchin about the arrange mode changes.)

first i want to say no offense to anyone on this bord. this is just my opinion but i gotta say, i hate lazy gamers. i truly do. they are the reason that game companies dont spend a little extra cash to make our games better than they could be. this new kof has done just that with the inclusion of arrange mode.

so they changed things that NEEDED to be changed. so now your spasmatic weak poke combos dont work anymore. learn something new.

the game has so many possabilities in the combo area that there is no reason at all for anyone to be clinging to one or two combos.

"wha?" i cant spam 30 crouching weak punches in a row to start my combo?!"...pleaaaase!

its not as suprising to me when gamers bitch about a plain old port of a arcade game that dosent offer anything new for us. but come on, SNKP has givin us a awesome full featured home port. theres no reason to bitch about it. well be lucky if they start making ports like this from now on.

its just weird to hear how many people diss the arrange mode of this game. the programers gave the option for it becouse obviously the arcade version had some too easy/wack ass combos or some over powered attacks. they worked hard to give you another fresh start to make the fun of the game last longer. they want us to rework our old combos or better yet, MAKE NEW COMBOS!...shocking idea i know.....(i blame crap games like MVC2 for this kind of gamer)

we are all very lucky to have a arrange mode that fixes dumb glitch crap from the arcade version. i for one and quite happy to have the option to make my gameplay better.

its soooooo annoying that my friends arnt willing to play arrange mode....

what im trying to say is dont be lazy, learn something new for a change.

A "GLITCH PLAYER" is a gamer who plays any game only to find the most overpowered move, character, or combo just so they can use it over and over again when they play people. when unbalanced games have finaly been balanced out though, most glitch players show their true inability to actualy PLAY the games when they dont have glitches and unbalanced gamplay to help them.

lets hope all games are balanced out in the future eh!

i want this to be my quote but its too long...shit!
Hmm, to me, I feel that arrange mode is the broken version of kof xi. Gosh, I don't even know why someone would want to play a version so different from the arcade. I have been playing fighting games in arcades since art of fighting / street fighter days, put it to you, every single KOF has a glitch. some infinte combo, an unblockable, or a move that does more damage than it should under certain circumstances, or just doing something funny.

I still remember the days, when using kyo's qcf, B, D infinite in Kof 95 was the norm. Everyone was doing it, and no one was bitching about it. I have seen some players that can still win despite not using kyo's infinite. I still remember it coming out for the Sega Saturn and PSX. All of us shunned the PSX version because they "fixed" Kyo's infinite. In fact, we all thought that the PSX version was bugged.. Look at how things changed over the years?

What about Iori's Infinte grab combo in kof 96? Terry's infinite power charge, yama/kyo infinites, mary's full bar combo in 97.. what about those players using orochi Iori/Leona? If you think Ozwald's df combos are bugged, think back to Goro's df C in '97 and 98. Every good Goro player abused it.

Sure, some of the combos aren't meant to be combos... take kof 99, I don't think SNK made it such that you could do nasty combos involving clark/andy/katsumi/etc striker and Jhun/K'....how about leona's infinite against ryo? Every version had one form of infinite/full bar combo. But everyone still plays it and most of us are guity of trying to master them as well..

KOF Xi has been solid. Heaps of players like me still play in the arcade...some use the glitchs/OP chars and your so-called best combo/glitch/char... But there are folks that take time to learn every char, and how to counter these top tiers using this less popular chars...

If everything needs fixing and such, then they should remove all infinite combos...make duolon's ldm timer even shorter...remove stun combos....... now that wont be any fun is there? Kof is fun with glitches.. that's how each version is... New kof comes out, we all play normally.. do standard simple combos, then new combos are discovered, and after that, bugs are found. That's how it is. If someone likes to play arrange mode. so be it. I sure aint a fan of it.

Just my two tokens.
;)

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Thu Aug 17, 2006 18:44

Woah, when did this thread suddenly get so heated up?

Kuro Kuma, your comments were way out of line. You may think that you only responded appropriately to Slapper Joe, but your holier-than-thou attitude in your opening post was simply asking for a to-the-point rebuttal.

Consider this a warning.

ON encourages people to post their opinions, yes, but we take pains to ensure said exchange of opinions is done in a civil manner. As a newcomer on the board, the things you say are obviously going to be met with a lot more scrutiny and criticised a lot more harshly than stuff from an established veteran. Just take a step back, and watch the language. Humility helps lots too when you're just starting to post.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Aug 17, 2006 19:49

Omg. Time to play 'drag the scrub into stupid rom'.

:3

Lynko
Charging...85%
Charging...85%

Post by Lynko » Fri Aug 18, 2006 01:04

Eh, my thoughts on the whole "Why is everyone mad about Arrange being around" Dealie.

As a side note though, I do kind of see Arrange as kind of a mix between older style KoF gameplay, and...2003. I say 2003 because most B&Bs just don't work, and characters that were once decent without being super broken (Duck) are kind of brought down hard. Plus it is less hop/poke reliant..

Anywho, I'm guessing no one can tell any big Whip or Athena changes? You'd think they'd would beef em up a bit. But I guess Arrange offers a less broken cast overall by dragging down the performance of others save for a few nice changes (most of Terry's..)