Mai Shiranui (XI) - PS2 Version

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Zero
Charging...8%
Charging...8%
PSN:Zero_MTL
Mai Shiranui (XI) - PS2 Version

Post by Zero » Mon Apr 24, 2006 22:35

Mai is in KOFXI console as a extra character. Suck.
Last edited by Zero on Thu Jan 04, 2007 05:43, edited 1 time in total.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Shirakani » Tue Apr 25, 2006 17:40

Not really much to say i guess...

Mai even in NGBC wasn't anything uberly spectacular. Solid as usual, played pretty much like she always did. If they cut and paste her from NGBC, or did a rebalance, i don't think anyone would notice...

When was the last time Mai was seriously revamped?

That being said, KOF w/o Mai felt pretty odd. Like someone said, she's the proverbial 'Chun Li' of the series. The staple nice ass. She doesn't have to be high on any tier lists, she just has to be in the damn game.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Wed Apr 26, 2006 13:20

i was glad to hear she wasn't in XI actually, and kasumi taking her place made we want to YAY some more. Her design is just something i've never liked

but meh, should be a copy and paste from NGBC, meaning she's not goign to be anythign special

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Fri Jun 09, 2006 02:59

I beg to differ.

First, Mai's standing sprite has been redrawn for NGBC, which hasn't happened since what, 96? Sure, it wasn't a large hop like from 95 to 96, but still, it's something they have yet to do for IORI after nearly a DECADE(ahem).

Second, her LDM is actually quite versatile. Much more than that slow startup, unblockable unless you jump HSDM in 2002. And for once, finally for once, not her Chou Hissatsu Shinobi Bachi (although it's more combo friendly, it gets old).

What I DO worry about is how DC'ing would work with her... they would have to fix the animations for her LDM so she can hit during a Dream Cancel.

I just hope the same combos can be done from NGBC. I mean just her jump whatever, stand C, f+B, qcb+C at least. Probably her safest combo IMHO.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:21

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS...yeap, wrong thread, my bad.

and no, i also dont see a "move post" button xD
Last edited by SonicWaver on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:25

SonicWaver wrote:after a big long "yada yada no oswald useful info" post :p :

Ive personally tried the df+A on incoming chars (wow...it really does work...) and then, i just did qcb+C SC into HCBx2+ C

no damage scaling, and a 100% sure hit (not like his other DM...that, if its not timed correctly, will fail)
Didn't you mean this to be in the Oswald thread, and not the Mai thread?

*wonders if there's actually a 'Move post' button*

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:54

Mai's LDM is indeed that air diving move, and it does pretty decent damage. In the Ash ver of the new promo she had this corner combo;

Jump D, C. f+B, qcb+C, land, qcb+C (ryuenbu), SC off first hit to Chou Hissatsu Shinobibachi, then DC to LDM.

Not bad at all, did 75% damage from full.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Sun Jun 11, 2006 07:10

Thanks Shirakani.

I just watched both promos and man, this game will rock.

I was baffled at Mai's combo... even turned on NGBC to figure out if it was possible there too (without the DC, still not possible because the Ryuu En Bu will not juggle after the Musasabi no Mai... shame).

I also laughed at Elisabeth+Geese QS combo. It was just so great, even though it's so simple.

Elisabeth starts: jump D, C (2 hit), f+B, f+A, f,d,df+A XX qcf,hcb+P, QS to Geese, taunt (I love this), juggle with Raging Storm LDM

7eh r0xx0rz!!!1!!!1!!!1@

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 08:17

I agree with Shirakani, much like the psycho soldier team has the "cute barely legal JP 18 year old girl" in every damn incarnation of KoF, KoF without Mai felt off because in contrast to Athena, Mai was the representative "hawt gurl" that people have become used to seeing in the game. Having her return from stasis is good - as others have said, she's always solid - never messed up the tier rankings, but always an underdog that had potential to mess you up if you're not used to the way she plays.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Tue Jun 13, 2006 02:22

Actually, this was fixed by including B. Jenet in that aspect. Hot girl, empty head... yep. Fits.

I was kind of, not glad, but relieved to know that Mai wasn't in the game. I could see they were going in a different direction. However, I thought it was strange how Mai was in NGBC and not in KOF XI, when they could have at least done a C & P into KOF XI.

Well, they did and I'm happy with the result. The NGBC Mai has a new standing sprite (hey, at least it's ONE new sprite!), and her LDM is a nice touch and a flashback of sorts to RBFF times. I'm glad it didn't have the same startup as in RBFF (it was HELL to hit).

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Tue Jun 13, 2006 03:04

Jenet is in no way any sort of replacement for Mai. Jenet is hawt in her own way, but she's not Mai.

Mai is the classic, recognizable T&A that just about ANYONE knows, find someone who plays 2d fighting games that doesn't know who Mai is. She's the female equivalent of the SNK trademark char, like Iori seems to be the male trademark char.

If you ask me who i consider the must haves in any KOF, i'd say Kyo, Iori and Mai. They are the Ryu, Ken and Chun Li. Remove them and it's not KOF anymore, the same way that if you took Ryu, Ken and Chun Li out of SF, it's not Street Fighter anymore.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Tue Jun 13, 2006 04:39

I understand that Mai is recognizable, but you can't deny that even in her absence KOF XI is very popular; much more so than the previous installments.

I do not mean within the already-established KOF community, but it's also very capable of attracting huge lines to play from people who finally noticed the KOF series.

It is therefore possible for Mai to be absent from a successful KOF, although it doesn't feel right. In fact, most people didn't even realize she was absent. I tell you this because in reality, Mai isn't widely used as Chun-Li, for example. While certainly some people use these characters, in tournaments...

However, taking away the T&A, recognizable eye candy or not, is not right for the Japanese, so Jenet is what every Japanese man would want from Mai (breasts and cuteness). Sure, there was an initial collective buzzing noise of "Where's Mai?" but the buzz came and left. Much like when King was taken away in 2002.

Still since SNKP is all about whoring their fan service, Mai was brought back (like King in 2002) for consoles. I imagined this would happen so I wasn't too worried when I didn't see Mai in the first place (I <3 Mai).

But this brings up an interesting point. How much time is enough? How old will Kyo be when KOF XXVI comes out? Iori has to die already, because Orochi blood descendants are meant to die young... yet, no. SNKP has publicly stated that Kyo and Iori weren't even meant to last beyond KOF 98... Maybe I should bring the point to the rant thread.

Perfect Stranger
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:24

alexis wrote:.. Maybe I should bring the point to the rant thread.
Yes please.

As a reminder to all: Yes, we're all getting excited that XI is going to be released on PS2 soon, but please remember that these threads are meant for serious gameplay discussion. Hence, please keep the "Jenet is a replacement for Mai in terms of fan-service" remarks to the rant thread please.

G-Product
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by G-Product » Sat Jul 22, 2006 00:14

I like being able to cancel qcb + K to qcb + P I mean how cool is dat??? lol