EX Kyo (XI) - PS2 Version

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Ratix0
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by Ratix0 » Sat May 20, 2006 12:16

Not too sure what other thinks, but IMO, its fast, covers a long distance, HIGH PRIORITY, good invincibility frames, compared to shingos', short range, decent priority, little invincibility or none at all.

Not too sure about Shingo's kick though, haven't really touched shingo much.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Shirakani » Sat May 20, 2006 13:20

Air Shingo kick is slow, short range that goes mostly horizontal before a 'dead frame' drop which leaves Shingo fully open. Also has little invincibility.

Air RED kick is fast, has insane priority and goes forward and down at a severe angle that increases the range of Kyo's forward jump if done early. It also has no 'dead' frames, the entire move, until Kyo fully lands, is an attack.

Imagine what it's like to have an air C+D attack stick out infinitely till your character touches the ground.

Due to the speed and motion of the move, Kyo can, like Iie-Kyo said, basically control his landing speed at will, and is safe throughout until he lands.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Mon May 22, 2006 12:08

And don't forget the air R.E.D kick crosses up like nobody's business.

ismael01866
I'm not a bot! :3

Post by ismael01866 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 16:44

I think the bonus chars will be balanced overall and will be accesed only in the Arranged mode, and liike some statements earlier, if the arrange mode is going to balance previous characters like Gato, Oswald, etc.... it would be kinda useless to balance those characters and leave the bonus characters unchanged from the NGBC version.

So I guess having NGBC Kyo won't break the game at all.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sat Jun 10, 2006 07:30

I get a feeling his Mu Shiki will be an LDM and will be DCable off his Shinken. Moreover, if they want to be ghey about it (look at the Unholy Three), they'll give the Mu Shiki the juggle anywhere property, meaning if you manage to nail someone with the Shinken, the pillar of flame will hit them no matter what and they'll eat ALL the followup hits (similar to 2k3's Mu Shiki).
I'm half right!

The Shinken allows you to have a free juggle (though it works better if you use moves that hit in the air). It appears his Mu Shiki, which is an LDM as I suspected has the "Kim" property, where if it hits you in the air, it brings you to the ground and forces you to eat ALL hits, however, they made the Mu Shiki his DM version - this is good. More damage in a compact amount of time, and it doesn't leave hung to try if you whiff it, I also imagine it's comboable off a dwn B dwn A, so yay easy LDM combo. This makes NGBC Kyo a bit more time efficient than XI Kyo in terms of LDM damage "speed".

This also makes Leader NGBC Kyo much more difficult to jump against. If his LDM retains this property even without the Dream Cancel, this will give him a VERY reliable antiair and make him fearsome in a different way from XI Kyo. Very few characters have the ability to jump over that full-visible-screen height pillar of flame. If he also gets a bit of invincibility when he does it (y halo thar S-Tier Oswald and Kula) then he'll have a very useful leader.

Another thing - they kept his "alternate" Dokugami chain from NGBC. The thing is, in the trailer, the guy whiffed the last hit - makes me wonder why he whiffed, cos if the thing whiffs consistently then there's no real reason to use the chain... doesn't cost half a power bar to use, which makes me think they took out the dp + A's juggle anywhere property (since that was the primary setup for it), or perhaps even made it impossible to juggle should the final hit of the new Dokugami chain followup actually hit.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:47

I actually have a feeling you're only half right about the Kimtacular property of the Mu Shiki. How i see it is it's basically the Kamikura DC, and works the exact same way. Just substitute the flame pillar for the grab and you have XI Kyo's exact DC.

Meaning it'll prolly only do that when DC'd, and in all other situations work the same way it has in NGBC. I still wonder about the gold mode...judging by the damage of the Mu Shiki (seems to be equal to the Kamikura), he prolly doesn't have it anymore.

EX Kyo has seemed to GAIN some properties from XI Kyo tho, like the close C f+B anywhere, in NGBC it had to be close A f+B for the 3 hits. Hm, if they balanced NGBC Kyo by just giving him XI Kyo's exact normal moves' properties, well, that's A tier right there...+ Air RED Kick...

Oi.............. :3

-Defuser-
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%

Post by -Defuser- » Sat Jun 10, 2006 16:47

Shirakani wrote: Meaning it'll prolly only do that when DC'd, and in all other situations work the same way it has in NGBC. I still wonder about the gold mode...judging by the damage of the Mu Shiki (seems to be equal to the Kamikura), he prolly doesn't have it anymore.
Or maybe the person playing didn't press P button afterwards for his chouhatsu,but we still don't know about the air RED kick yet.I already feel this Kyo is 1 point above XI kyo

EDIT:After watching it,there doesn't it bothers you that NGBC kyo doing Jump C,Stand C,Qcf DD,Qcf x 2 P DC Qcf x E combo damage is nearly the same damage as XI Kyo's Juggling combo by a very small margin?

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Sat Jun 10, 2006 18:26

It does, considering that if he wanted to, in the corner after the qcf+D,D, you can go hcb+B with the old Hikigane, THEN do the qcf+A, dp+C, Shinken -> Mu Shiki...

But, this COULD be the Arrange mode so who knows, perhaps normal Kyo also got a slight buff in that he's slightly less scaled? We'll have to wait another week to find out.

EDIT: forgot to add that in the bit vs Mary, does it seem like his jump C has an OMGHUGE hitbox? That crossover was seemingly a bit too easy...it was almost Oswald jump C easy...I don't remember normal Kyo having a jump C hitbox that big...

EDIT2: Had another look at the trailers. Correct me if i'm wrong here but, the normal ver of the Kamikura had more 'even' damage throughout right? Coz it seems like they shifted the way the damage is done on the move. In the Kyo ver of the trailer he does the Kamikura standalone on Kula, most of the damage was done during the explosion, then the Orochinagi finish. I don't remember the normal Kamikura being like that... This can potentially be more damaging due to how the scaling works, if the Kamikura is done BEFORE it hits the 30% life mark, the initial explosion will do MORE damage than if the damage was scattered evenly thru all the hits and nerfed harder by the multi scaling that way...

Part of their Arrange rebalance perhaps? The overall low life scaling also seems harsher in general, with many moves doing pathetically low damage.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Sun Jun 11, 2006 07:26

I happen to know that in NGBC his newest Dokugami chain CAN miss the final ground hit (the kick) if your timing is off, so seeing him whiff it doesn't worry me.

Also, this chain doesn't cost 1/2 stock to use... it's the final hcb+C after the kick, that does the explosion and costs 1/2 stock.

Actually, IF the LDM retains the Kim-like property when not DC'd, I'd say it would be too good for Kyo. Think about this corner combo.

jump in D, C, f+B (2-hit now), qcf+C, qcf+C, qcf+A, qcf+B, hcb+C, LDM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... although this combo costs 2 1/2 power stocks, this combo is very, very damaging... and what's worse (or BEST, if you think about it) is that this combo could very well be QS into, and costs NO skill stocks whatsoever... Think about this Elisabeth/Maxima/EX Kyo combo.

Elisabeth jump in D, C (2-hit), f+B, f+A, QS into Maxima jump C, C, f+A, qcf+P, qcf+P (2-hit), QS into Kyo EX, jump in K, C, f+B (2-hit now), qcf+C, qcf+C, qcf+A, qcf+B, hcb+C, LDM

I do NOT think anyone will survive this, and what's worse, they will probably be stunned before the LDM gets there, giving EX Kyo ample time to run to the corner, pushing the opponent and start his own combo from the top, killing whoever his unlucky opponent would be. lol

If Kyo retains the Kim-like thing, and this combo I said works, I will tell you. It wouldn't surprise me if he did retain it.

[edit: Fixed notation.]

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 08:10

Anything is possible. Since the person who was recorded in the video did the LDM off a DC ONLY, then none of us will know how it actually hits. I actually think that it's the old style Mu Shiki, where you don't get "stuck" to eat the remaining hits, but none of us really knows, because nobody has/can play the game yet. And knowing SNKP's ability to overdo things when it comes to characters, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they gave the Mu Shiki the Kim-tacular property.

About your skill combo alexis, that would require you using two lower tier characters in your team to pull it off. Of the three, EX Kyo would most likely be the one who is able to start it (seeing how both Maxima and Elizabeth need to work harder to make that opening to combo into). This is assuming they're giving XI Kyo's changes to EX Kyo (which I wouldn't be surprised). But of course, you don't want Kyo starting the combo since the combo you posted is a finisher.

Makes me wonder - I hope they take a lot more effort to differentiate his gameplay from XI Kyo (much like Shin Kyo and his Kyo clones in '99, or Kusanagi vs. Kyo's differences in 2k2). But hey, having two Kyos in one team would be great, I wouldn't have to worry about having to "not play" a particular Kyo because they're leader. The other one would be able to cover for him, and most importantly very easily set up for a double Dokugami chain combo.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Sun Jun 11, 2006 09:05

Yeh, i think SNKP are taking care to make sure EX Kyo is not stronger than XI Kyo, but also not WEAKER.

It seems they've at least given them the SAME normal move priorities to a degree, which would make sense, so the only differing factors may be the specials.

XI Kyo can qcf+A, delay, qcf+A in the corner. I tried that in NGBC and it didn't work, so it may not work here either. EX Kyo will be able to extend his chains when done after the qcf+D,D easier coz he has the Hikigane, so more damaging combos in the open, but potentially less in corner?

EX Kyo cannot zone so if he doesn't have the air RED Kick, that's a big minus, coz some chars will eat Kyo if he can't get in. At the same time tho it is pretty fair so i definetly won't mind that move being gone.

Mu Shiki vs Kamikura, the damage looks to be pretty similar. The Kamikura got a slight damage boost in the Arrange so, yeh, i think they're TRYING to even it out between the two. Whether or not they succeed is another issue.

Ratix0
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by Ratix0 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:07

They seem to buff up EX Kyo's f+B from NGBC... Seem like XI Kyo's the NGBC Kyo's version, wherelse EX Kyo's an even buffed up to do 2 hits from a C and can chain to his alternate dokugami chain, which was not possible in NGBC... Interesting.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Sun Jun 11, 2006 18:05

Wait, what do you mean EX Kyo doesn't have the air RED kick? In NGBC, Kyo had it, and it was performed the same way as in XI.

---
Quoted from http://db.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/fi ... seum_b.txt :

qcb+K in air Kuuchuu R.E.D. Kick [M],NR,#
---

However, you can block it standing or crouching (not sure how to block XI Kyo's), but opponent cannot use recovery roll (I don't think they can after XI Kyo's either).

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Mon Jun 12, 2006 01:45

Nonono, i didn't mean that he doesn't have it.

I meant that, it wouldn't surprise me IF he didn't have it coz they took it out for balance purposes or what not.

ismael01866

Post by ismael01866 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 05:22

Bleh, even if Ex kyo still has it, SNKP can always nerf it to adjust it to the overall balance of the character.