EX Kyo (XI) - PS2 Version

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Shirakani » Sat Jul 08, 2006 06:46

KOF99 Shin Kyo wasn't unbalanced. He was only hard coz the CPU had mortal kombat trilogy AI. It read your buttons and had a perfectly timed counter to almost anything you did. ANY char can be strong, even low tiers, if they have psychic prediction in that way.

Otherwise, Kyo 99 wasn't too bad at all.

To Jhun; Ex Kyo vs Shion is a pretty good match. Magaki doesn't count.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sat Jul 08, 2006 09:48

KOF'99 Kyo was only a pain because of his qcf,qcf+P, which was a real twitch move in every sense of the word. Even if the thing traded hits, the sheer amount of Counter damage is gonna make your opponent regret it. And yeah, 99 Kyo's AI seemed rather psychic, didn't it?

Well, I was just being fanboyish by wondering what'd happen if we combined XI and NGBC Kyo. But I don't thiink such a character can be made playable without him demolishing the rest of the cast.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Sat Jul 08, 2006 23:42

It wouldn't be that hard to make him. Take XI Kyo:

-Add new Dokugami chain from EX Kyo.
-Add Air RED Kick (broken ass like it is).
-Add the dp+A juggle anywhere property.
-Make hcb+K (both) possible to do stand alone.
-Keep the df+D cancellable.
-Add qcf+A, hcb+P, hcb+K throw. I don't know if EX Kyo has this.
-Add Kusanagi's hcb+K (change the input though). I like the old school throw.
-Make the Orochinagi combo from qcf+D,D for Christ's sake!!! EX Kyo can do this no sweat... no fair lol

They might as well make him a boss lmao.

L1r
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%
PSN:Pewas

Post by L1r » Sun Jul 09, 2006 00:50

IIRC Orochinagi is connectable after qcf+D,D with XI Kyo, you just gotta time it right.
I don't think EX Kyo's truly broken, he's just, as many have pointed out, outside his element, he works in NGBC because NGBC is kinda over the top.
Also, Kusanagi has been a boss of sorts already in 2k3, so there. :P
Just remember he's an extra character, SNKP has a tradition of adding overpowered extra characters for the console versions of KOF, this doesn't mean they'll be abused in tournaments from now on, tourney people will probably settle for the original cast and either stick to Arcade or try Arrange mode.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Sun Jul 09, 2006 00:57

Orochinagi IS comboable off XI Kyo's qcf+D,D, it's just no longer a spam and forget move like EX Kyo's. To do it with XI Kyo, two ways;

1) C, qcf+D,D with no delay, and delay Orochinagi like in 2k3, it combos.
2) C,qcf+D,D with slight delay between hits, no delay needed to Orochinagi.

Either or both will work, but you can't just WTFCAKE the move out and expect it to link coz the Orochinagi still has the 2k3 property of a worthlessly slow execution that made 99 Kyo's Orochinagi TOTALLY worthless. If you delay it for just 1/3rd a sec tho, the execution becomes instant.

And yeah, 99 Kyo's threat factor was his new DM. That, and the autoguards on his Aragami were more prominent than in 98. It's not as insane as XI Kyo's, but you combine a prominent autoguard + Gato palm DM that does three times the damage....yeah, that's ALL you ever need.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Sun Jul 09, 2006 04:11

So let me get this straight... if you DELAY the Orochinagi, after I release it, it's instant? Soooo I just delay a little bit and that works? Hmm... that's interesting...

**runs off to try it**

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sun Jul 09, 2006 04:51

Yeah, it actually works for EX Kyo as well, but since his version is faster anyway, there's no need to delay it. That's how the Orochinagi has been after 99, I think. I had no trouble doing standing C > f+B > hold Orochi Nagi and release to combo it in 2k2, but the timing in 2k3 is quite a pain. In any case the Orochi Nagi will launch immediately if you release it after the startup flash disappears, just that in 2k3 your window between the launch time and opponent's recovery was shorter than in 2k2.

Lynko
Charging...85%
Charging...85%

Post by Lynko » Sun Jul 09, 2006 04:56

Isn't it the usual Orochinagi delay time? Just throughout the DM flash, a TEENY bit more and it's instant? If you don't notice it, EX Kyo should have a different voiceclip for it if you do it correctly.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Sun Jul 09, 2006 07:16

In classic KOF? Yes, if you delay it for a sec, it combos off the f+B.

But no, i'm referring to what they did to it in KOF2k3. It had KOF99 execution speed, but if you simply delayed it for a third of a second manually, it would execute nigh on instant.

It was REALLY hard to come to grips with for some ppl, myself included for a while. But you get used to it. Delaying the move REMOVES the entire 'pull hand back' part of the move, and you see Kyo just immediately attack when you let go.

And yes, NGBC Kyo has a whole new voice clip for it too....if you do it normally, it's the regular yell. If you delay it, he yells 'KORE DE OWARI DA!!' instead.

Ahhh...XI Kyo got so shafted on yells...I still can't get over how the Kamikura is totally SILENT...