ZeroSoulreaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
A.K.A.:Hedgez
Currently Playing:KOF. MBACC,SC
PSN:Hedgez00
Re: KOF XIII General Discussion/Rant Thread

Post by ZeroSoulreaver » Fri Jan 13, 2012 15:16

I wish people never started talking tier lists in KOFXIII. Many of the characters are so close together in terms of how good they are it's crazy and impossible to place them.

Been havin fun with ex Kyo and Mr Karate so far. Really thinking of adding ex Kyo to a secondary team.

Fuu
hunted by pedo police
Currently Playing:by ear
PSN:OswaldK9o

Post by Fuu » Fri Jan 13, 2012 17:41

Toxic Avanger wrote:

Some casuals, not hot enough for the video thread, but still kinda funny on it's own accord. If you can get the rambling and recognize the BGMs, that's always a plus.
I get it that Hwa's backbreaker originates from Ken Ishikawa's manga? Cool!

I'd really like use these characters btw, theme teams ftw.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Sat Jan 14, 2012 00:43

Fuu wrote:I get it that Hwa's backbreaker originates from Ken Ishikawa's manga? Cool!

I'd really like use these characters btw, theme teams ftw.
You actually made check dates, har har.

The first game where Hwa Jai had the backbreaker was in the Super Famicom version of Fatal Fury 1, which was published in 1992/11/27 , and it was something like this :

ImageImageImage

The animation is so lousy that I'm not sure with what part he hits you; in fact I always thought that he used his shoulders, is recently now with KoF XIII that I have opened the possibility that he uses his knee.

Now, the earliest manga that I could find that didn't had like, an original storyline, I think that it was this one, from 1993 (which isn't by Ishikawa).

Now, what could actually have happened is that the Backbreaker was created for the SNES game, and was retweaked into the move that we all know and love for the comic; which SNK took as inspiration for the actual move present in the game. I remember reading in the blog that they have troubles conceptualizing Hwa Jai due to him having only like 3 moves, that fact and their usual habit of taking moves from other sources (such as Mugen) might point out that they did researched the comic for the sake of getting more moves. Cool.

Judgment might change if Ishikawa's comic is from an earlier date, but should still be roughly the same of SNES + Manga = XIII Hwa Jai.

edit :

Ok, after reading the comic Hwa Jai's EX Dragon Kick and Final Dragon Kick are also from there. Cool.

OT :

More casuals with weird colors.
Last edited by Toxic Avanger on Sat Jan 14, 2012 02:23, edited 1 time in total.

Foxhole
DESU!
A.K.A.:Himono Onna/Easy Prey
Currently Playing:with Atenolol.
PSN:ELT-Jurippe

Post by Foxhole » Sat Jan 14, 2012 01:38

Ugh, there seems to be a lot more footsies compared to older KOFs...I kinda miss the striaght up rushdown of whoever gets the first hit in wins. D:

Fuu
hunted by pedo police

Post by Fuu » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:58

Toxic Avanger wrote: You actually made check dates, har har.
You made a full fledged investigation after my random wild assumption, great work! I really enjoy this kind of details as well.

Yuki Yagami
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:a "trader" and a "messenger"
Currently Playing:...with someone's mind...

Post by Yuki Yagami » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:29

KOF XIII is nominated by the La Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences for the Interactive Achievement Awards (the Oscars of the Video Games) for the "Best Fighting Game of 2011" category.

http://www.interactive.org/images/pdfs/15th-Annual-IAA-Finalists-Only.pdf

List of nominees:
Fight Night Champion
King of Fighters XIII
Mortal Kombat
Super Street Fighter 4: 3D Edition
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Awarding will take place on February 9 at D.I.C.E. Summit in Las Vegas.

Kain
Charging...50%
Charging...50%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:Ocelotzin
PSN:Ashlar_Kain

Post by Kain » Sun Jan 15, 2012 04:04

The Phanta Stick is pretty low in the 'best joystick' poll. I was thinking of getting a new one since I can't pull Kyo's c c. .C , df + .D, QCB .K right with the Madcatz SFIV TE. argh
leegray99 wrote:I always loved that character select music in fatal fury.
I knew I wasn't alone in this world!

And it made much more bearable trying to defeat GEese in the SNES version. >_>

leegray99
Charging...35%
Charging...35%
PSN:leegray99

Post by leegray99 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:38

Sometimes I would just pause it so I could listen to it for longer.
in all honesty I am not even using the fanta stick that much as i cant get my moves working as easy as i can with the wrestle stick, as cant get a good grip on the stick and need to spend more time on it to get use to it.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Sun Jan 15, 2012 19:48

Fuu wrote:
Toxic Avanger wrote: You actually made check dates, har har.
You made a full fledged investigation after my random wild assumption, great work! I really enjoy this kind of details as well.
I wouldn't call it an investigation, I pretty much knew all of the data before hand and just had to check the dates.... Think of it like this : I already had a doorkey and was close to a locked door, but it took me something like 30 minutes to realize that the key opens the door. Furthermore I had to check the manufacturing date of the key and the door once I realized that they were connected, to see if they matched :lol:

More net casuals, but with kick ass custom tracks.

pop_squally
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by pop_squally » Mon Jan 16, 2012 14:41

finally got my copy of kof 13. been bussing it up with jermaine. im loving what snk did with clark, feel like im playing 96 again. very entertaining game.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Mon Jan 16, 2012 20:14

Kain wrote:The Phanta Stick is pretty low in the 'best joystick' poll. I was thinking of getting a new one since I can't pull Kyo's c c. .C , df + .D, QCB .K right with the Madcatz SFIV TE. argh
If you can't do moves on a Madcatz TE, you either need a bat stick or just more training or that thing is faulty.

Leegray if you're used to the ball stick on the wrestle stick and now can't handle the bat stick, good luck re-adapting. Bala and a whole load of Americans use the bat stick and to lethal effect, but I don't know anyone who can easily switch between both types. I certainly can't.... if you get fed up with trying, I'll be happy to take it off your hands xmad

leegray99
Charging...35%
Charging...35%
PSN:leegray99

Post by leegray99 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 21:54

Gunsmith wrote:
Kain wrote:The Phanta Stick is pretty low in the 'best joystick' poll. I was thinking of getting a new one since I can't pull Kyo's c c. .C , df + .D, QCB .K right with the Madcatz SFIV TE. argh
If you can't do moves on a Madcatz TE, you either need a bat stick or just more training or that thing is faulty.

Leegray if you're used to the ball stick on the wrestle stick and now can't handle the bat stick, good luck re-adapting. Bala and a whole load of Americans use the bat stick and to lethal effect, but I don't know anyone who can easily switch between both types. I certainly can't.... if you get fed up with trying, I'll be happy to take it off your hands xmad
:) Currently only using it for the home button as wrestle stick doesnt have it. Might start practising with it in arcade mode though as would prefer to use it online once comfortable with it.

Fuu
hunted by pedo police

Post by Fuu » Mon Jan 16, 2012 22:43

I just had the Kyo bug happening in a fight, against Clark. Sure hope they're gonna fix it asap!<-- ok the asap is naive.

Foxhole
DESU!
A.K.A.:Himono Onna/Easy Prey
Currently Playing:with Atenolol.
PSN:ELT-Jurippe

Post by Foxhole » Tue Jan 17, 2012 00:15

Gunsmith wrote:

God, quoted for emphasis, I couldn't use the ball to save my life. Been using a bat stick since I started KOF back in 95.

Kain
Charging...50%
Charging...50%
XBL:Ocelotzin
PSN:Ashlar_Kain

Post by Kain » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:33

Makes two of us.

Gunsmith wrote:

Sold it now. It was a dissapointing, expensive piece of noisy junk. Um, the clicks the joystick gave are 'natural' so to speak, right? *sweatdrop

[Old man rant] I've played KOF since '94, got into professional scrubbing (who didn't) in '96, started to combo in '97, and become a fully-fledged n00b in '98. I like to think I'm an average player, and I've barely had any problems comboing stuff until this new generation of consoles with their horrible joypads (I'm looking at you, Xbox; and I'd look angrily at you, Dreamcast, weren't you MIA *sniff*). Arcades were much better. The only good thing is online play. I love you very much, GGPO. wow [/Old man rant]

So, how good is a Hori for KOF? Any recommendations? Not that hardcore to open it and modify it, especially how expensive it'll be to get it out of customs once it arrives to this 3rd-world country.