2k2 UM - Kyo-2

Guides / FAQs / Tutorials with Videos per character for Tougeki Arcade/ 360, Ps2 and Neogeo
Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.
2k2 UM - Kyo-2

Post by Iie-Kyo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 19:09

Just to let you guys know, standard rule is to indicate UM in your post title if you're gonna be asking a question about UM.

Anyway, I did a lot of dabbling with this bastard incarnation of Kyo. Needless to say, he's been improved.

Normalwise - no improvements. They're all the same. This isn't bad since most of his normals are generally similar to Shin Kyo's. However, one thing to note, his standing CD does a HARD knockdown. Can't follow it up with anything. Only does the hard knockdown if done by itself. If you use a CD Counter it knocks them back like a normal CD Counter does.

Roll - They copy-pasta'd (ugh, I thought we were done with this SNK!) Kyo-2's slide animation from KoF '99. Game-wise, nothing different from a normal roll.

Command attacks - f + B hits the same, but he says what Kyo says in 2k2 when he does a f + B off of a normal. I hear "Kono...!" but someone can correct me on this.

Specials - A majority of his specials stayed the same, except a couple things.

HIS MU SHIKI NOW COMBOS OFF OF A DOWN B DOWN A. THIS ALSO MEANS HIS MU SHIKI IS FASTER (though it lacks 98 Kyo's invulnerability). That's right, you can do the infamous tap combo into the Mu Shiki with ease. This is a HUGE improvement to the one glaring flaw Kyo-2 had in KoF 99.

C Oniyaki hits for two hits against jumping opponents. Can't remember if that was the case before, I remember it hitting for one and him getting no advantage off of it since he was recovering from the Oniyaki.

New specials -

qcf x 2 + K - B version does a lower one, D version goes higher, does more damage, but has higher recovery. They kinda "mugen-ized" this special. This is basically a buffed up Oniyaki (dp + P). He just does a second Oniyaki after the first one (has lots of invincibility at the beginning though). After it hits, you can followup with an extra hit of a flaming R.E.D. kick (qcf + K). The D version can be comboed from a down b down a if done in the corner. All in all, this is a great special to use if you're predicting a jump-in.

SDM Mu Shiki (qcf x 2 + AC)- This is not technically "new", but Kyo-2 didn't have access to the SDM version of the Mu Shiki in KoF '99 without being in red life. Here, it's a regular SDM. And to top it all off? It ALSO can combo off a down b down a (!).

MAX2 - Another mugen-ized special, but it's still very useful. It's basically a ranbu-style super (though it only does 3 hits). Kyo-2 runs at you at a lightning fast pace, shoulder rams you (standing CD), grabs you with the Kototsuki (HCB + K) then holds you there while gathering chi before blowing you up. Basically it's a overglorified version of his Kototsuki. Combos EXTREMELY well. You can do this off a down b, down a, f + B combo WITHOUT requiring a corner.

MAX Mode possibilities

Kyo-2 can also abuse MAX mode almost as well as his real version can. You can't do Aragami --> Dokugami loops, but that doesn't matter. You can start off a max mode combo with the Aragami though, and it will cancel into the Dokugami, but you can't cancel back into the Aragami (so basically the Aragami can only be the starter of a MAX mode combo). HOWEVER, you can do 1 hit of the Kototsuki after the Dokugami and loop it back into itself (similar to SvC Kyo's loop). Or if you wanna be like that fag Iori, you can do Kototsuki (1 hit) into the C Oniyaki (1 hit) and then loop it back into the Kototsuki or Dokugami.

Also at any point during this loop you can EASILY cancel into a DM or SDM Mu Shiki or his qcf x 2 + K.

On top of that, Kyo-2 can super cancel off his Kototsuki into the DM Mu Shiki or qcf x 2 + K without requiring MAX mode. Good to know in the "oh shit I have an opening but can't think but to use std C, hcb + K) moments that we have as Kyo users.

More to come. Needless to say. KoF 2k2 UM - WANT GAEM, GET GAEM.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Re: 2k2 UM - Kyo-2

Post by Toxic Avanger » Wed Feb 25, 2009 20:11

I had great expectations for these characters... Like, reusing many frames, voces and victory poses from 96 to 98 and SvC... Mainly, I'm interested in the clones, they didn't feel that complete in '99, and the sad part was that they had some interesting unused things within the rom of that game (like, a new unique never used neutral standing stance, or a move that it's similar to the qcf x 2 + K - B that he has gotten now).

Can he still hit twice from a high jump (jp B -> naraku)? or more importantly, can he cross over with those 2 hits (hit was god~damned hard in 99, but was the best use).
Iie-Kyo wrote:KoF 2k2 UM - WANT GAEM, GET GAEM.
I won't be able to play, anytime soon... and that kinda make me feels.... xmad xmad xmad

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 00:59

Toxic Avanger wrote:I had great expectations for these characters... Like, reusing many frames, voces and victory poses from 96 to 98 and SvC... Mainly, I'm interested in the clones, they didn't feel that complete in '99, and the sad part was that they had some interesting unused things within the rom of that game (like, a new unique never used neutral standing stance, or a move that it's similar to the qcf x 2 + K - B that he has gotten now).

Can he still hit twice from a high jump (jp B -> naraku)? or more importantly, can he cross over with those 2 hits (hit was god~damned hard in 99, but was the best use).
Iie-Kyo wrote:KoF 2k2 UM - WANT GAEM, GET GAEM.
I won't be able to play, anytime soon... and that kinda make me feels.... xmad xmad xmad
If you have a decent computer, you can use an emulator, get the ISO, and play it from there. You do need a pretty good computer though to have full FPS. Most of the emulators out there aren't optimized for 2D games - developers usually use something gay like FF7 as their test bench.

And yeah, I like the fact that the characters use a culmination of voices from a ton of different KoFs.

Yeah, he can hit twice from a jump in. I THINK they made the crossover a little bit easier to do, but that may be my complete bias towards Kyo-2 being improved.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Kane317 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 04:06

Ooh thanks for reminding me about Kyo-2's j.B --> j.d.C Now to master crossing up with that...lol

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
TTT2
Dragon's Crown

Post by Toxic Avanger » Mon Mar 02, 2009 23:39

As stated. his CD is a counter wire attack.

His good old school combo still works, that was cls D against an air bone enemy -> oniyaki.

The last hit of his Qcf + A, Hcb + A, D is pretty strong. It has autoguard, juggles on hit, guard crush the enemy with 100% accuracy and can be super canceled or doko canceled. Properly setting up the move, however, is hard. the most basic way is hitting with a standing CD in the middle of the stage. The guard crushing punch tends to whiff if Kyo-2 has the enemy cornered, so be careful.

TamaYak
One stock!
One stock!

Post by TamaYak » Wed Mar 11, 2009 23:04

The Mugenized dpunch super allows u to juggle the opponent afterwards according to the Kofunion combo video part 1 just released.

:o

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sun Apr 26, 2009 08:24

TamaYak - That only works against May Lee. She has some weird ass juggle properties that lets stuff combo that normally doesn't. You can do qcf x 2 + K x 2 and then juggle into the HSDM against her. :o

SEMI-BREAKING INFO ABOUT KYO-2'S HSDM. Did I mention his HSDM is damn good? It has quick startup, travels fullscreen in less than a second, and has a huge frontal hitbox. Basically, if you can get your opponent to whiff a normal, you can hit with this from the other side of the screen.

BUT WAIT, there's more! Kyo-2's HSDM has this REALLY weird somewhat game breaking property - it can cancel off of ANY normal and command normal at ANY part of the normal's frame. Both during when the hitbox is active and when in recovery. It lets you cancel off of normals you normally CAN'T cancel off of, so you can do stupid shit like this:

vs. Chang - crossover j B, j d C, std C, BC cancel, run forward, down b x 3, far B, HSDM

Or you can cancel it off his far D, which has fairly fast startup and decent priority

Far D --> HSDM

You can also do the HSDM off of the second hit of a STANDALONE f + B, which normally cannot be cancelled unless it's BC-cancelled. In other words, you can hit confirm the overhead and do the HSDM. Blam! 50% life down.

Also if you hit with std C, f + B, you can cancel it off the first hit of the f + B instead of the second hit, for whatever reason. But basically, this is I think the only HSDM in the game that has this strange property. If you wanna be random, you can do something stupid like randomly throw out a far D from the other end of the screen. Your opponent may wonder wtf you're doing and try to counter - cancel the recovery frames of the far D into his HSDM.

So yeah, lolwtf SNK.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
TTT2
Dragon's Crown

Post by Toxic Avanger » Sat Nov 28, 2009 03:17

I realized something while playing '99: Kyo 2 can normally cancel the first hit of his f + B. This was actually carried over to UM, so with practice you can do consistently cls C >> f + B, Hcb + D. Unlike Kusanagi this can work against everyone once done correctly. Very tricky to learn, but nice to have around when properly mastered.

I don't know if it's possible to do cr B, A >> f + B into special, but if it is possible it is way harder than something I would care to learn with somebody who isn't in my mains.