Comic suggestions :o

For everything the stupid room can't provide! And Freud!
Kyosuke Kagami
Posts too much
A.K.A.:BROsuke
Currently Playing:A lot of things
PSN:KagaminKyousuke
Comic suggestions :o

Post by Kyosuke Kagami » Sun Sep 17, 2006 04:21

Hey, I just noticed we don't have a thread dedicated to the american and european comics. So... I decided to open this.

So far, what stuff have you read? Which titles seem promising in a near future? Suggestions? Questions? All that goes here ;0

I'll start:

-1 week ago, I bought a deluxe edition of Jhonen Vazquez' Squee's Wonderful Big Giant Book of Unspeakable Horrors (publisher: Slave Labor. ISBN: 0-94351-24-4. Suggested price: 15.95USD). Pretty enjoyable, all the stories are pretty disturbing yet funny. If you enjoyed Invader Zim, don't miss the chance to get this book.

All the stories are centered on Squee, a little boy that always has nightmare for no reason, his parents hate him, and somehow a lot of weird things happen in his life: being abducted by (really stupid) aliens, encountering giant dust bugs, even knowing the anti-christ himself (Pepito LOL). Oh, and Mrs. Bitters appears here, too.

-Been wondering if Civil War is worth it. After seeing how dissapointing the House of M ending was, now I'm not sure if this new series will be better, or another plain "meh" Marvel thing (the kind of stuff they've been releasing since Iforgotwhen, being 'Marvel Zombies' the exception).

Discuss :D

Anti-K'
MOAR
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Currently Playing:Persona 4, Melty Blood Actress Again, BlazBlue

Re: Comic suggestions :o

Post by Anti-K' » Sun Sep 17, 2006 04:31

Kyosuke Kagami wrote: I'll start:

-1 week ago, I bought a deluxe edition of Jhonen Vazquez' Squee's Wonderful Big Giant Book of Unspeakable Horrors (publisher: Slave Labor. ISBN: 0-94351-24-4. Suggested price: 15.95USD). Pretty enjoyable, all the stories are pretty disturbing yet funny. If you enjoyed Invader Zim, don't miss the chance to get this book.
:o Where did you buy it?! I LOVE Invader Zim. Plus I share the same last name as Jhonen.

I've been reading a lot of Teen Titans lately.

Bugle/Hawk'M
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:When life gives you lemons, make Kaiser Waves
Currently Playing:some games
XBL:BugleHawkeM
PSN:BugleHawkeM

Post by Bugle/Hawk'M » Sun Sep 17, 2006 04:55

I haven't followed comics since I was in elementary school, but NextWave: Agents of HATE is hilarious. Hard to explain though, just really good.

Kyosuke Kagami
Posts too much

Re: Comic suggestions :o

Post by Kyosuke Kagami » Sun Sep 17, 2006 05:27

Anti-K' wrote: :o Where did you buy it?! I LOVE Invader Zim. Plus I share the same last name as Jhonen.
www.comicastle.com . There's a CC store here, and I found the book after checking some "alternative" stuff. Use the search function and see if they still have it.

¿Vives cerca de la frontera? Podrías preguntar en el Comicastle que está en Monterrey :3
NextWave: Agents of HATE
Details, sir, please ^^

Vice Vecta
Almost there! ...74%
Almost there! ...74%

Post by Vice Vecta » Sun Sep 17, 2006 06:58

Ahhhh.... I'm craving to get some american comics since I came here... in this city are just void and null.

Any good suggestion of latest series or books so i can buy'em when i return to Mexico?

Tardzilla
I'm not a bot! :3
I'm not a bot! :3

Post by Tardzilla » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:22

Vice Vecta wrote:Ahhhh.... I'm craving to get some american comics since I came here... in this city are just void and null.

Any good suggestion of latest series or books so i can buy'em when i return to Mexico?
That depends. What kinds of comics are you looking for?

Edit: And while I'm posting in this thread, Civil War Frontlines > Regular Civil War.
It might be slower and less action packed, but at least it's got better chracization (or at least, to me)

horsepowa
Charging...8%
Charging...8%

Post by horsepowa » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:41

Hail to the king baby!
Yes i know it's old but seriously, it should be law for everyone to read it :smile:

Vice Vecta
Almost there! ...74%
Almost there! ...74%

Post by Vice Vecta » Thu Sep 28, 2006 13:27

what's this comic about?

horsepowa
Charging...8%
Charging...8%

Post by horsepowa » Thu Sep 28, 2006 14:53

Transmet is written by Warren Ellis with art by Darick Robertson, it's (very) basically about a journalist, called Spider Jerusalem, set in a futuristic cyberpunk America.
Spider is Ellis' take on gonzo journalism (think Hunter S. Thompson), and as such has lots of political commentary relevant to the time (97 - 2002) and before with some stuff from the 60's and 70's.

Here's a bit of what wikipedia has on it:

Transmetropolitan is a postcyberpunk comic book series written by Warren Ellis with art by Darick Robertson and published by the Vertigo imprint of DC Comics (originally by Helix). It chronicles the battles of Spider Jerusalem, infamous renegade gonzo journalist of the future. Jerusalem dedicates himself to fighting the corruption and abuse of power of two successive United States presidents; he and his assistants strive to keep their world from turning more dystopian than it already is.

It starts with Spider, who about 5 years before became quite famous, covered in hair on a remote mountain, after a call from an old editor he is forced to go back into civilisation and to the city he loves to hate.
Aside from the serious stuff(which there isn't much off :)), it's very probably the funniest comic I've ever read, and probably the only one that I would spend the retarded amount of money it takes to get something imported to Africa from Amazon(import tax sucks :().
The way Ellis sees this futuristic world, and the crazy things he finds to do in it are nothing short of awesome, as are his characters. Spider is honestly one of my favourite characters, an awesome blend of absolute bastard and bowel disrupter happy maniac with good intentions. :D

It's not the easiest thing to describe, read it see how awesome it is... then tell me how right I am :3

Zaro Yagami
More power! ...34%
More power! ...34%

Post by Zaro Yagami » Thu Sep 28, 2006 15:50

Lessee where 2 start.

Watchmen
100 bullets
Dark Knight Returns
Captain marvels daeth
Marvel Zombies = FUCK YES!
I liked House of M but thats me.

Havent read Earth X yet but i hear good stuff.
(Black bolt looks creepy in this one)

obseruv

Zaro Yagami
More power! ...34%
More power! ...34%

Post by Zaro Yagami » Thu Sep 28, 2006 15:51

P.S FUCK CIVIL WAR!!!!

Kyosuke Kagami
Posts too much

Post by Kyosuke Kagami » Thu Sep 28, 2006 16:04

Marvel Zombies is probably the most original shit Marvel has done in YEARS. If you don't want to pass through a lot of problems to get the individual vols, you can buy a special edition that Marvel released 2 weeks ago. It has the 6 numbers of Marvel Zombies + the origin of all that mess.

Last time I checked in my comic store, its price was 30USD.

Shiny
Posts too much
A.K.A.:Wreck-It Richard.
Currently Playing:Baseball. With your skull.
XBL:Callsign Rain
PSN:Anariaca3279

Post by Shiny » Fri Sep 29, 2006 05:18

Zaro Yagami wrote:P.S FUCK CIVIL WAR!!!!
lol, u.

Kyosuke Kagami
Posts too much

Post by Kyosuke Kagami » Fri Sep 29, 2006 05:56

can someone explain WHY "civil wars" sucks?

horsepowa
Charging...8%
Charging...8%

Post by horsepowa » Fri Sep 29, 2006 07:46

100 Bullets
Hell yeah, another top comic, cept it makes me sad cos i can get hold of it anymore, and the last bit i read had this massive cliffhanger :-(
I liked sandman too :)

EDIT: quite amusingly, I have just met a friend at lunch, who, out of the blue, has 12 more 100 bullets comics for me.