Your mobile phone history (may be image intensive)

For everything the stupid room can't provide! And Freud!
PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35
Your mobile phone history (may be image intensive)

Post by PenPen » Sun Jan 17, 2010 16:37

So how many mobile phones have you used before? I'll probably get myself a Google Nexus One soon, and looking back I've been using Sony Ericsson for a loooong time.

This is my first phone: A Siemens C35. Super durable, have been using it for almost 3 years plus. It's also a good source of "haha, my crappy old mobile is still working while yours is dead" and "look at my ollllllld mobile phone!" jokes. I still have it but it's essentially worthless now.

The second phone was likely a Siemens CF62 (forgot the exact model). This was actually a gift from my old company's boss since I think he got tired of my old mobile phone jokes. It did one thing good, which was to make me start liking to use clamshell phones. But then, after half a year I lost the phone in an arcade. So ummm...yeah.

Next in line I started my switch to Sony Ericsson's...clamshell phones. It became an obsession since SE doesn't really make a lot of these, as I've been insisting on using SE clamshell phones for no reason. The first one is the Z520i bought in 2005. Like my old Siemens C35, this is also super durable, dropped to the ground multiple times and still works like a charm. It however finally gave in after 2 years of usage, when the monitor stopped responding (this is a common theme for SE clamshells if you're not careful) and the repair job did little to nothing, and the repair gives me a new feature by eating battery power like crazy.

Then came the Z550i, which actually came out already for almost a year, and I bought it in late 2007. It feels more 'toyish' and plasticky, and not as durable as previous ones, but it still works, dammit. I was pretty happy with what I have here even though the battery life for this isn't as good as the Z520i under perfect circumstances. It's still with me and working, even though the battery is probably dead.

Oh, but then this one came along. The Z770i. It's not really available officially locally, I bought this from an import store. Like the last mobile, I'm actually a late adopter, it was out in 2008 but I bought it almost 9 months afterwards in early 2009. And this is also the first time I bought something because it looks way cooler. And it is. It's also a 3G phone, but I only have a dualband SIM card, which means I don't get to access any sort of fancy functions at all. As mentioned in my now dead blog, "Even though it is made of win and awsum, it's a little on the slow side, and the buttons aren't great as you can't really feel them out." So yes, it has its drawbacks. And lately, it starts to reboot itself for no reason, which means it's starting to give out.

So yeah, I'm a pretty late adopter for mobile phones. Lately I've been seeing those smart/superphones like the HTC hero, iPwn and other things, and I'll probably make the jump with the Nexus One. I'll need to think of something witty to engrave on the thing though.

Gojira
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:Twit
Currently Playing:Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, WWE 2k16
XBL:Gojiraaa
PSN:Gojira_X

Re: Your mobile phone history (may be image intensive)

Post by Gojira » Mon Jan 18, 2010 13:21

Late? You call that late? I didn't even own a mobile phone until 2007 and my first phone was an ugly little thing that looks similar to the second one up there. My current phone is a razr, can't access the internet and takes blurry photos, but as long as I can set Bloody Tears as my ringtone I'm good.

Shiny
Posts too much
A.K.A.:Wreck-It Richard.
Currently Playing:Baseball. With your skull.
XBL:Callsign Rain
PSN:Anariaca3279

Post by Shiny » Mon Jan 18, 2010 17:18

Interesting read.

I got my first cell phone around 05 (Siemens), I believe. It was crap. I had another phone, but it was also ass (Sony Ericsson). Then I got one for Xmas in 08 (LG) that wasn't too bad. Now I am looking at the Nexus One (HTC) when it is released on Verizon.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 18:52

I couldn't find pictures for half of these phones, but here we go anyway:
- Nokia 3310
- Nokia 8250
- Some crappy Nokia phone I got free with a Cingular Wireless plan
- Sony Ericsson K610im (Asia-only model that I brought over here with me)
- Apple iPhone 3G

Pondering making a switch to an Android device at some point, but there isn't one on AT&T that supports 3G yet...

Bugle/Hawk'M
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:When life gives you lemons, make Kaiser Waves
Currently Playing:some games
XBL:BugleHawkeM
PSN:BugleHawkeM

Post by Bugle/Hawk'M » Mon Jan 18, 2010 20:20

I have had quite a few phones when I was using T-Mobile pay as you go because they were cheap and you could just switch out the sim card.

Some old monochrome Motorola phone.

Motorola T722i

Another burner. I don't remember the manufacturer or anything

Nokia 6101

Palm Centro
Since I had a regular job I figured I would go on contract and get a better phone. I got the Centro when it first came out because it was fast (compared to the WIndows Mobile phones at the time) and I had used a Palm PDA and was used to the OS.

Palm Pre
I considered switching to an iPhone or Android device of some sort, but I have some hangups about both of them. First of all, in my area Verizon and Sprint have the best network coverage, AT&T is generally spotty and T-Mobile still doesn't have anything better than EDGE. For smartphones, AT&T and Verizon charge out the ass. Sprint and T-Mobile are much more reasonable. So, on top of Sprint being the sweet spot of good coverage and low price, they also had the very nice Pre, so I renewed my contract for another two years.

Apathy Wind
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:PS3 Crap Shoot
Currently Playing:no whammies, no whammies...

Post by Apathy Wind » Wed Jan 20, 2010 00:31

I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't own a cell phone.

Foxhole
DESU!
A.K.A.:Himono Onna/Easy Prey
Currently Playing:with Atenolol.
PSN:ELT-Jurippe

Post by Foxhole » Wed Jan 20, 2010 01:31

My old phone is a LG KG800.

My new phone will be a Sharp SH-01B.

hebretto
Neomaxxing
A.K.A.:Free HUGS!!!
Currently Playing:2D fighting games
XBL:hebretto

Post by hebretto » Wed Jan 20, 2010 04:23

My first phone was Nokia 8310 which my uncle bought for me on a monthly plan. I think it was 29 dollars. It had a monochrome screen (wut) and it was the black cover and I think it's the smallest phone I've ever owned. It could only play back polyphonic sound so I had the SF2 theme as my ringtone. Soon enough the keypad started to wear out so I migrated ...

To the Three (Hutchinson) network. It was a clamshell LG something something with a LCD screen at the front as well so I could have two display pictures one at the front (Black Hayate from Fullmetal Alchemist) and a wallpaper (of a cat). That lasted me around two years till the end of my contract whereby I jumped to a $49 monthly plan but by that time it was called "cap" plans which is all hella confusing at first but it's now all the norm in the Australian market ...

The Sony Ericsson K800 has served me quite well these past 2.5 years. Yes it's a pretty small screen but seriously it does what it has to do take photos of dumb moments receive calls and messages what else do I really need?

Hope to get the new Sony Ericsson Aino next ... just not really prepared for a full touchscreen device such as an iPhone or anything of the sort