What do you look for in a character?

Chat about whatever

What influences your choice of fighting game characters?

Tiers! I pick the characters who are on top, all the time.
2%
Design! I like characters who look cool/cute or those who stand out.
36%
Moveset! I like characters that fit into certain archetypes (grappler/chargie/pixie etc) or who have an interesting playing style
23%
Ease of use! I go for those characters who are easy to pick up (eg Ryo, Sol Badguy, Terry)
9%
Popularity! I pick the characters everyone uses, or the characters no-one uses.
4%
Other factor (please state)
26%

Total votes: 47

Cascade
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Cascade » Thu Mar 08, 2007 20:00

Sometimes I'll pick a character with an annoying personality just to rile up my opponents. (If I know them.)

Lion from Virtua Fighter 4 is one of them, but Ramon is also another, since his shouting sometimes grates on some players nerves. Basically, anyone who can wage psychological warfare on my opponent while I do my moves. :3

Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by 1718 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 04:40

*and 2 years later*

id go for others, i always use female characters. then next is popularity. i dont use those who are always picked. id practice on the underdogs then work on their potential. ex: chun li of SF2

Photon
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%

Post by Photon » Sat Oct 27, 2007 03:45

Chun's not an underdog in SF2 except maybe Champion Edition. Certainly not in ST or HF.

Kulanator
More power! ...51%
More power! ...51%

Post by Kulanator » Sat Oct 27, 2007 04:01

For me I look for appealing character design, if i like the way the character looks then I'm driven to learn there moveset . Case in point Angel/Momoko.

K-Wave
Charging...15%
Charging...15%

Post by K-Wave » Tue Nov 20, 2007 07:56

I have to choose the other option for this.

I like some fighters for their look, such as Kyo, Vanessa or even Ash (Oddly enough, I'm usually drawn to metrosexual fighters for some reason). Then again, I like some for their style, such as charge fighters or certain grapple fighters. Then there's also charisma, such as Rugal's evil and somewhat cocky nature, or Shen Woo's in your face attitude.

Then there's other factors like background, attacks... TBH, any of those can attract me to a fighter, or even put me off them, so it varies a lot for me.

~MysticMonkeyGuru~
Is it a bot?

Post by ~MysticMonkeyGuru~ » Fri Nov 23, 2007 13:03

I'll admit, I usually like to go for characters who are easy to use, such as Terry and Iori. But also, I like characters with a good design as well, which is why I LOVE Shermie!!!

My KOF '98 unbeatable team: Terry, Iori, Shermie.

DarkFuine
Charging...15%
Charging...15%
Currently Playing:King of Fighters, MySims, Harvest Moon, Tekken 5, Makai Kingdom, Sacred Gold
Location:...I sleep...deep...at the bottom....of all....darkness...

Re: What do you look for in a character?

Post by DarkFuine » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:46

I choose the last point. I don't look for the movements or the style of an character. From game to game it's different. To take a single example: In the first parts of King of Fighters I preffer to use Terry. Since KoF 97 I played most times with Yamazaki, Blue Mary and King. Then I tried the Orochie's. I'm very bad with Shermie, but I used her more then Yashiro and I'm really good in handeling his moves o.O' Chris was my favorite out of this three characters, but I used Shermie more then the other two guys... . In KoF 2001 and 2002 I found my suited chara. It was K9999. His moves aren't hard but not to easy. He looks cool, but he is the very opposite of me. He is evil to the core. I'm a really friendly person and hate to yell at people. I'm really a soft hearted person and can't stand evil people o.O But I really like K9999... . Strange... . Anyway. In KoF 2001 and 2002 I preffer to use the NESTS-Team. After that time I used various characters.

I never found the female character that I'm really good with... .

But to say it so. I don't take charas from the first look, the place on the list or from knowing them. I use all to see who is the best for my play.