What do you look for in a character?

Chat about whatever

What influences your choice of fighting game characters?

Tiers! I pick the characters who are on top, all the time.
2%
Design! I like characters who look cool/cute or those who stand out.
36%
Moveset! I like characters that fit into certain archetypes (grappler/chargie/pixie etc) or who have an interesting playing style
23%
Ease of use! I go for those characters who are easy to pick up (eg Ryo, Sol Badguy, Terry)
9%
Popularity! I pick the characters everyone uses, or the characters no-one uses.
4%
Other factor (please state)
26%

Total votes: 47

B.W
I'm not a bot! :3
I'm not a bot! :3

Post by B.W » Tue Nov 01, 2005 14:17

7d3j wrote:I see that. *Wink wink*

But you only serve to remind me of the joke about you trying to break the roof... Funny. :P
What's really funny is that I never intended a joke.

Anti-K'
MOAR
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Currently Playing:Persona 4, Melty Blood Actress Again, BlazBlue

Post by Anti-K' » Wed Nov 02, 2005 19:32

My favorite types of characters are:

Badass guys (Iori, Setsuna, Rock)
Cute girls (Hotaru, Kula, Hibiki)
And hot girls (B. Jenet, Angel, Mai)

All with cool designs.

I really don't care who I use. I can hate a character and I'll still use them. But I do pick favorites when I'm playing seriously.

Blake B
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%

Post by Blake B » Sat Nov 12, 2005 19:48

Well first of all, the main thing i look for is how i can use the character (like, if they are easy to pick up and play), like Terry Bogard & Sol Badguy.
For me, there's no way in hell i can play with complex characters and expect to enjoy them......i'm not that type of person, so i use the simple characters that i can master easily.....that's just the type of guy i am. The character can look like shit, but as long as they got some moves that i can easily pull off and have a blast playing with, i'll play with them forever!!!

Another factor would hafta be their design. While i usually don't care for looks in teh character, it's never a bad thing......

Ramjet Aries
Charging...23%
Charging...23%
A.K.A.:Oro? Nani o kurata???

Post by Ramjet Aries » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:49

Me? I haven't played KOF or CvS 2 in ages so I'm definitely rusty. I'll usually choose characters with good design for starters but I end up using characters with fair to high technical gameplay (like Kyosuke/Maki/Yun/Rock in CvS2). For KOF I'm a steady Andy user and I throw in practically anyone into the mix like Terry, Ralf, Iori or any random character just for the fun of it. But as a rule I don't like relying on overpowered characters with a very limited set of attacks. I'll take any character with a high learning curve if possible.

Cascade
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by Cascade » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:04

I invariably pick 3-4 characters out of the entire cast. (Making up a usual KOF team size, of course.) Even in non-KOF games.
These characters all fit my playing style, so they are fairly flexible, and suitable for defense, and occasionally offense. Usually not a mix of both.
The others I pick because they have a style that appeals to me.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:17

I like variety, so I tend to roulette 2 characters when I play KOF and have one familiar character standing by.

For Guilty Gear, I learn every character in the game (including EX modes) because there's a lot of diversity. I'm not good with any particular character, but I'm not very competitive in GGX/XX anyway, so most of the time, I just play for the fun of it.

khdu
More power! ...51%
More power! ...51%

Post by khdu » Thu Dec 29, 2005 13:36

vote Tier

I'd go for a character like a nerfed 2k3 Duo Lon+ 2k3 Kyo+ 2k3 Kusanagi combined.

CarpeNoctumXIII
Charging...8%
Charging...8%

Post by CarpeNoctumXIII » Mon Jan 02, 2006 19:53

My order would go Gameplay>Design>Tier/Popularity.

I usually pick up a character, and if I don't find them interesting from the start, then I move on. I tend to like charging characters, and I lean on more of the difficult side since I like a bit of a learning curve with my characters. The design helps me choose, so if a design is REALLY good, then I work a little harder to see if there is something I like about the character I chose. Lastly, I try to stay away from top tier, and overly popular characters for an unkown reason too.

My current team(note how I can contradict myself because of one factor or another) is Kyo/Mary/Clark and I also like to use Benimaru and King, and a character I WANT to use, due to deisgn alone, since I never played the character, is Elisabeth. If her move list does not appeal to me(not even a little bit) when I play her, then I'm not going to.

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Tue Jan 03, 2006 17:41

A little bit of everything, really! Thus I cannot vote here.

But one thing for sure not:
"Popularity! I pick the characters everyone uses, or the characters no-one uses."

It'd never come to my mind picking a character because wannabe bad ass mofo sitting next to me picked him and maybe even looked good with him.

And I even hate more those picking up characters specifically because nobody else plays them. Those dudes need to see a psychiatrist, imo.

--Blast

Phoenix
Charging...8%
Charging...8%

Post by Phoenix » Fri Jan 13, 2006 07:10

1. Design: I have to like the character first. As an example, I don't use Ramon and Choi.

2. Gameplay: I tend to lean towards characters with a good solid rushdown repertoire...like Kim, Kyo...pure rushdown...die die DIE. =P (with the exception of grapplers like Shermie) I tried getting good with Athena in 2k2 but not my style.

3. Popularity: I try to avoid overused S rank characters like Duo Lon, Blanka, Yoshitora... Sometimes I try to be cool by using a less used technical character like May Lee, Angel... Even kof Yamazaki and Rock fall into this category to a lesser extent.

But come tourament time, I tend to use simple staples that I already know thoroughly. Unless I've been secretly training with some sort of a secret weapon technical character.

soujiro
Charging...76%
Charging...76%
A.K.A.:(EX)Hentai Bukkake Master =D
Currently Playing:Blazblue:CS (PS3) & SSF4 (XBOX360)
XBL:TCH soujiro
PSN:JUNHUA

Post by soujiro » Mon Jan 30, 2006 15:14

Voted others.

Well....I usually use gals as many of you know. :roll:
Everytime when a new game is release,I'll try to use female characters first. :grin:

I'll try to use sexy female first then follow by cuties.... 8)
I don't really care about how good they are ,all I want is to ENJOY~!! :evil:

Even in RPG,I'll use female more.

Josh
Charging...50%
Charging...50%

Post by Josh » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:25

B00bage!! :D

Cascade
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by Cascade » Wed Feb 08, 2006 02:14

soujiro wrote:Voted others.

Well....I usually use gals as many of you know. :roll:
Everytime when a new game is release,I'll try to use female characters first. :grin:

I'll try to use sexy female first then follow by cuties.... 8)
I don't really care about how good they are ,all I want is to ENJOY~!! :evil:

Even in RPG,I'll use female more.
:3 As expected of Soujiro.

Geese
Powering up...61%
Powering up...61%

Post by Geese » Fri Feb 10, 2006 01:46

Josh wrote:B00bage!! :D
ahhh a man after my own heart. Something very hypnotic looking at boobs bounce

Josh
Charging...50%
Charging...50%