Duo Lon (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:12

it's not meant to be a close anti-air, or even a twitch anti-air :P , but rather if you can anticipate well, it does have good priority to snuff out quite a few jump attacks, although i have stuffed up a few times and have been hit by a ralf dp A/C combo >_<

G-Product
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by G-Product » Sun Aug 20, 2006 04:02

how about this as an AA for ol Duo-Lon

crouching C, qcf + B
??????? reliable? consitent? I need a 2nd man's opinion since I'm just now pickin him up cause he didnt really interest me in 2k3

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Sun Aug 20, 2006 04:08

G-Product wrote:how about this as an AA for ol Duo-Lon

crouching C, qcf + B
??????? reliable? consitent? I need a 2nd man's opinion since I'm just now pickin him up cause he didnt really interest me in 2k3
not reliable. I wouldn't recommend doing it. The only time this would work is if you can predict correctly your opponent doing a high jump towards you. The down C must come out first regardless if you want to avoid trading of blows.. if it doesnt, you would open for a free combo.

G-Product
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by G-Product » Sun Aug 20, 2006 04:10

ok. What about a well timed hcbx2 + P super ?

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Sun Aug 20, 2006 04:30

G-Product wrote:ok. What about a well timed hcbx2 + P super ?
in 2003, this was godly. They somewhat nerfed it abit here.

Will work if opponent does a high jump. Especially if it's a big bulky character trying to jump over you when he is trapped in the corner. E.G Maxima/Tizoc.
DO NOT use it like you would Ozwald's Hcb x 2 punch.

will trade blows with certain chars using small hop. E.g Iori's Hop C/D

worst case scenario, some chars mini hop attacks can beat the first frame of your DM. meaning, you hear him saying that DM, screen doesnt turn black at all, and you get combo-ed. And did I say you lose 1 power stock as well? :(

Ozwald's jump C, Beni's jump B/D can "go through". So you have to use it sparingly. It's not a sure proof AA. I say again, if you do not know which scenario to use it, I suggest you stick with blocking or stand A.

This is something I have noticed while playing him heaps....

After you beat your opponent's hop attack with a stand A:

If the opponent does not have a strong uppercut, you can hop in with a B. Duolon would be doing his jump B, just as the opponent is landing.
Chances are he would block or just try to do something (in this case he might get hit). This is a good thing, as it keeps Duolon from defending and allowing him to start his own attack phrase.

A BIG NOTE THOUGH. Do not be predictable against chars like Iori/Kyo/Ryo/Beni (mainly their dp and AA command moves., and anyone with nasty priority DM/LDM. Hopping in would just result in being uppercut. Oh yah, it doesnt work against Shen woo and Maxima's Stand C as well. Like I say, if you are unpredictable, your opponent may think you are going to jump, and this leads to a bit of mindgames.

Another thing.

his command grab is not worth trying to land. It may make you look cool and professional. How many time have I Jumped in (with and without an attack) and try to grab, only for the grab to "go through" the opponent. This got nerfed badly. Do NOT use this like Iori's grab. I have since given up doing this. Some may argue that this works when the opponent blocks heaps. But trust me, it's not worth doing it. Do a normal throw and follow up with a Dp B (OTG). The later optional is a lot viable. Very effective indeed.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sun Aug 20, 2006 04:30

yes, ghosts super can be used as an anti-air, and sometimes if you're lucky, as wakeup, but be careful when using it since the invulnerability from 2k3 is gone, so now anyone can hit you from above if you whiff the super completely.

anyways, what i used to do was have a blocked crouching a, qcf A/C, fwd B, backdash, and if they jump to chase, ghosts super had a good chance of getting them, since the jump attack would be out of range anyway.....

it's awesome for chipping, especially if you've just killed a character near the corner. It's possible to space well so that the tip of the ghosts touches the screen, so that even if they try to roll cancel, they'll eat the super, so at the very least it would chip quite a fair bit

as for *best* anti-airs, i'd say stand A is your best bet. as of yet i've yet to see it lose to anything within its hitbox. jump straight up C is also freakishly awesome

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Sun Aug 20, 2006 04:33

~!T.T!~ wrote:yes, ghosts super can be used as an anti-air, and sometimes if you're lucky, as wakeup, but be careful when using it since the invulnerability from 2k3 is gone, so now anyone can hit you from above if you whiff the super completely.

anyways, what i used to do was have a blocked crouching a, qcf A/C, fwd B, backdash, and if they jump to chase, ghosts super had a good chance of getting them, since the jump attack would be out of range anyway.....

it's awesome for chipping, especially if you've just killed a character near the corner. It's possible to space well so that the tip of the ghosts touches the screen, so that even if they try to roll cancel, they'll eat the super, so at the very least it would chip quite a fair bit

as for *best* anti-airs, i'd say stand A is your best bet. as of yet i've yet to see it lose to anything within its hitbox. jump straight up C is also freakishly awesome
May I add that his ghost super can only be teched roll out on the first frame/hit of blocking? EXTRA CHEESE!

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:47

Is it just me or is the timing for the LDM combo different on the PS2? I find that practicing it on the PS2 totally ruined doing it in the arcade for me.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

All Things DUOLON!

Post by Derrace » Sat Sep 02, 2006 03:52

I had some time last night and did some testing...

Max combo I managed to achieve with 1 skill stock 2 power bars is 82 hits. maybe acid can try to beat that (if it's possible) ? =)

duolon in corner,

Jump C crossover, down A, double palm combo, SC LDM, Qcf A, Fwd B, Qcf B, (Down A, Qcf A, Fwd B, Qcf B)*, once LDM wears off, perform double palm combo again finishing with Down A x 2, Qcf A x 3.

I did this on midboss Adel and he didnt die.. meh....but I think it would kill off a normal char thou. I would include some videos in a bit as soon as I can find a way to get a video output/capture from my atomiswave to my PC.

Opponent hit with a crossover would remain in a crossover position after his LDM.

a little note: with Duolon's LDM, u can replace down A with Stand A.

DL's down A can trade with Duck's qcf A/C if your opponent decides to spam block that move. i.e down A (x1-2), B, foward C Qcf A/C. Just do down A before his move comes out. It would trade.

I also noticed something about Duolon's Stand A as AA.. OMG, DL has no AA against Maxima's low spam Jump C. His Stand A would come out, but Maxima's Jump C would hit you first (always!). Down C doesn't work. Jump (vertical or back) B/C/D doesnt work once he get's you stun lock after the first jump C. I tried rolling, only to get comboed by his Stand D.... esp nasty if you are trapped in the corner.

Someone please find away against that.. All I am doing atm is blocking and blocking, counter E if I have a stock....

Didn't know you could down A x 4 followed by fireball DM, and there's a shortcut for it as well!

I still don't quite get the his timing when you QS DL in and: in air C, stand A, LDM. Sometimes the LDM just knocks the opponent away, and sometimes the opp can block after I do my LDM.... hmmm...

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sat Sep 02, 2006 17:57

it's QS jump C/D, stand C, LDM, not stand A...after this, you can do qcf A/C, fwd B, etc.

and also, there's a 2 stock 1 skill combo with a leader DL that kills a full maxima somewhere on youtube...cbf finding it

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sat Sep 02, 2006 20:43

I have the vid on my hard drive thanks to Scruffy. AFAIK, the combo goes like that:

Cross up C> Double Palm Combo> LDM> [qcf+A> f+K> hcb+C] * 5> qcf+A> f+K> qcf+K> Double Palm Combo (LDM ends just as its starting)> d.A> qcf+P*3

Its *only* 73 hits tho. But yeah, full life.

I hate DL vs Maxima. The only thing DL can do in that situation is hope to stop Max before he gains momentum with a really early d+C, luck out against the hop C with a late d+C, or get a early vertical hop+C in.

DL gets a lot of bad matches lah. Maxima, Iori, Ash, Jazu, Duck... Its matches like these (plus the PS2 screwing up my LDM timing) that've made me stop DL for awhile now.

Btw, Necomancer Duo on Cyberfanatix posted a vid showing how to combo the LDM off a command grab. Its a pretty elegant solution (and I'm sure the whole world knew this except for me). Basically involves doing Commad grab> qcf+P> f+B> LDM> hop attack.

Probably makes the sucky command grab worth doing again...

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sun Sep 03, 2006 04:07

the trick against maxima isn't to always try to hit him out of a jump C crossup, but when you know you can't beat it, avoid it. DL's so much more agile, especially on the ground, so safely teleporting away is another option. also, try running past hit crossup (which, i'll admit, isnt always that easy all of the time), but if you could cross maxima up on the ground, then keep him grounded....

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Sun Sep 03, 2006 06:35

AcidicEnema wrote:I have the vid on my hard drive thanks to Scruffy. AFAIK, the combo goes like that:

Cross up C> Double Palm Combo> LDM> [qcf+A> f+K> hcb+C] * 5> qcf+A> f+K> qcf+K> Double Palm Combo (LDM ends just as its starting)> d.A> qcf+P*3

Its *only* 73 hits tho. But yeah, full life.

I hate DL vs Maxima. The only thing DL can do in that situation is hope to stop Max before he gains momentum with a really early d+C, luck out against the hop C with a late d+C, or get a early vertical hop+C in.

DL gets a lot of bad matches lah. Maxima, Iori, Ash, Jazu, Duck... Its matches like these (plus the PS2 screwing up my LDM timing) that've made me stop DL for awhile now.

Btw, Necomancer Duo on Cyberfanatix posted a vid showing how to combo the LDM off a command grab. Its a pretty elegant solution (and I'm sure the whole world knew this except for me). Basically involves doing Commad grab> qcf+P> f+B> LDM> hop attack.

Probably makes the sucky command grab worth doing again...
yah, saw that combo on youtube. just did a search for duolon and it came up...

anyway, I was toying around with his LDM and the (Qcf A, Fwd B, Hcb C) String does more damage byself and you dont tele...very nice!

you dont have to start the combo with a cross up. I found out you can do this:

once LDM activate with opponent facing you (no crossover whatsoever), just do Qcf A, Fwd B, Qcf B, Down A, (Qcf A, Fwd B, Hcb C) string and you would end with double palm combo if the opponent is still alive. in otherwards.. his LDM just got a bit more damaging =) Besides, I wouldnt want to be caught out doing a cross over C.

Actually, it's hard for me to say which chars my Duolon hates fighting... I mean, no one here uses Duolon effectively, not to mention, I hardly see a Iori and Jazu.. But I can handle Duck (good ones) quite well. I just hate fighting Maxima.

I just did a bit more testing... DL seems to have one of the fastest taunt in the game..(need to charge power stock haha)... anyway, I managed to do QS Jump C, Stand C LDM. woot. Thanks ~!T.T!~

Stand C, Fwd A LDM Qcf A, yada yada works as well. Not sure if you can do it from QS or a Jump C.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun Sep 03, 2006 07:32

Ah, I wasn't referring to the cross up C. Its Maxima's hyper hop C from the front that gives DL fits. Repeated hop C's into QS dizzy combos are a very safe repeatable low risk/high reward way for Maxima to engage DL.

Besides, even if you keep out of that distance, there's little DL can do. Outside of that range, super jump CDs and Vapour Cannons pretty much leave the distance game in Max's favour too. DL's Toe kick, super jump C, CD all get pwned by super jump CD.

Oh, and if you manage to get in close, that stand D beats most of DL's stuff too.

Meh, gives me douche chills just thinking about how DL gets owned in this match.

Jazu is arguably the worst match up still. Corner= Hallelujah, stand E to death. I'd go so far as to say Jazu/DL= for free.

And yeah, I agree that out of all those listed, Duck is the least of DL's problems, but Duck's j.D, d.A do put the match in Duck's favour imo. To borrow Slapper's terminology- Duck just needs to go autopilot to give DL a tough match.

If it sounds like I'm whining... yeah, I am. :-P

Invincible Duo
Charging...8%
Charging...8%

Post by Invincible Duo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 09:41

This is necromancer_duo/ouroborus from cyberfanatix/shoryuken.com.

i'm glad you guys enjoyed the LDM vids.

Theres two variations of the palm ldm combo. one starting with activation, crouching c into teleport and the other one done with activation, qcf+a, f+b, teleport.

the qcf+a, f+b into teleport doesnt work on duckin opponents but the crouching c into teleport does.

however the crouching c into teleport variation wont work if you SC the palm combo into LDM from max range possible.

There is another variation of the LDM combo I also made up which I dont think anyone else has seen yet. I'll try to upload it soon when I'm not feeling lazy.

Of all the matches, Clark and Gato gives me the hardest time. Clarks jumping d and jumping e beats like pretty much everything duo lon can do in the air and the amount of damage clark can do is absurd compared to duo lon.

gato is also a pain. his crouching b beats everything duo lon can do in the ground (your cr. a and cr.b loses cleanly) his jumping d stuffs everything you do in the air and close/far hk stops most of your jump/hop ins consistently.

never fought any good jazu players so i dunno how that match goes. maxima is also a pain. his crossup splash and jumping e are also hard to stop and the crossup splash can lead into other nasty stuff. his close hk is also pretty fast.

i havent fought much good ralf players but i can imagine it can give him some trouble.