Gaming Habit Miscellany

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer
Gaming Habit Miscellany

Post by AcidicEnema » Fri Aug 18, 2006 23:39

Something that I didn't think fit in any other thread...

Post your, for lack of a better term, habits. I'm talking about gameplay-related habits, but pre/post-game rituals are welcome too.

Here are some that I notice from around:

Inputting a counter move when being comboed.

This is actually a pretty good habit, and I first noticed it with Scruffy. Basically when being comboed (and you can't/don't want to saving shift), you repeatedly input the command a countermove so that if your opponent screws up the combo, your character immediately answers with a punisher.

What's worse than screwing up Duo Lon's infinite? Screwing up the infinite then immediately being grabbed by a Clark LDM. Ouch.

Double Tapping

Instead of pressing the button once per input, most Singaporean players actually tap it twice by flicking first the middle finger, then the forefinger over whichever button. It definately helps when executing rapid tap As and Bs. No idea how much of a difference it really makes, but its telling that most top players around here do it.

Shaking/Not Shaking when dizzied

I actually know people (me included) who don't bother shaking out when dizzied. Once your character's been dizzied you tend to get demoralised and think "Why bother. He's going to get his free combo anyway".

But if you think about it, it actually does pay to shake while dizzy. For one, it prevents your opponent from doing stuff that'll make the combo even more painful- setting up a full screen fireball, pushing you to the corner, changing characters, etc.

Taunting

Do you hit the taunt button? If yes, in what situation? Bad manners, psyche out, fake out (they acutally recover *very* fast this year), or just the in-game equivalent of trash talking?

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Re: Gaming Habit Miscellany

Post by Derrace » Sat Aug 19, 2006 03:58

AcidicEnema wrote:Something that I didn't think fit in any other thread...

Post your, for lack of a better term, habits. I'm talking about gameplay-related habits, but pre/post-game rituals are welcome too.

Here are some that I notice from around:

Inputting a counter move when being comboed.

This is actually a pretty good habit, and I first noticed it with Scruffy. Basically when being comboed (and you can't/don't want to saving shift), you repeatedly input the command a countermove so that if your opponent screws up the combo, your character immediately answers with a punisher.

What's worse than screwing up Duo Lon's infinite? Screwing up the infinite then immediately being grabbed by a Clark LDM. Ouch.

Double Tapping

Instead of pressing the button once per input, most Singaporean players actually tap it twice by flicking first the middle finger, then the forefinger over whichever button. It definately helps when executing rapid tap As and Bs. No idea how much of a difference it really makes, but its telling that most top players around here do it.

Shaking/Not Shaking when dizzied

I actually know people (me included) who don't bother shaking out when dizzied. Once your character's been dizzied you tend to get demoralised and think "Why bother. He's going to get his free combo anyway".

But if you think about it, it actually does pay to shake while dizzy. For one, it prevents your opponent from doing stuff that'll make the combo even more painful- setting up a full screen fireball, pushing you to the corner, changing characters, etc.

Taunting

Do you hit the taunt button? If yes, in what situation? Bad manners, psyche out, fake out (they acutally recover *very* fast this year), or just the in-game equivalent of trash talking?
I have a nasty habbit of double tappining during game play, it helps with my timing of the spamming light attacks.. think '95 Iori, 99' Jhun and '02 Yuri

...and tapping all buttons in running order (like C,B,A) to make that drum roll sound every now and then.. in fact, I tend to execute moves/combos by tapping the buttons lightly, so it looks like a fluid motion...And usually once in a while, I would give the joystick a few 360 spins...especially when i first play...and sometimes I just tab on the buttons to whatever music there is in the background (from DDR, to what have you).

Persona
last rank
last rank
A.K.A.:BANNED
Currently Playing:BANNED

Post by Persona » Sat Aug 19, 2006 04:32

....I scratch my head when I get comboed.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Sat Aug 19, 2006 09:10

These are the sort of habits I've picked up from other games over the years and you find yourself doing them instinctively over time.
I have a bad habit of drumming both punches or kicks on move execution* Results in the occasional one-hit->QS by accident in XI though so I'm actively trying to stop doing it.

But on the other hand shaking during anything is a habit you pick up from SF Alpha 3 since a gentle waggle while being hit reduces the damage you take.

And some taunts can be canceled early with any direction or button press. Somewhat neat and can work after a down if you feign being a cocky bastard. Not quite as useful as Bryan, Kuma and Julia taunts in Tekken, but something that can be done.

* In Super Turbo to improve chances of getting frame perfect timing and hence a reversal you would press all punches (or kicks) down one by one then release one by one for negative edge. Basically gave you 6 active frames for the reversal instead of one.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sun Aug 20, 2006 22:18

* Keep a lookout for Counter! hits.

An expert at my arcade taught me how to keep a steady eye for stuff like this. I don't see people following up with Counter knockdown hits (whether it's from a special move or a CD/E) that often at my arcade. Not seeing these hits results in missed free combo juggle opportunities. Even following up with an A button or something is better than just letting the Counter knockdown hit go. Free damage is free damage.

* "Overexecute" moves.

This might be a sign of my poor execution, but for some moves (especially double fireball motion moves), I often "overexecute" the move by doing half-circles instead of quarter-circles. i.e. QCF x 2 + P = HCF x 2 + P. I'm trying to stop this habit though, since some characters actually end up having some sorta move that comes out instead if you overdo the motion.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 16:51

Iie-Kyo wrote:*
* "Overexecute" moves.

This might be a sign of my poor execution, but for some moves (especially double fireball motion moves), I often "overexecute" the move by doing half-circles instead of quarter-circles. i.e. QCF x 2 + P = HCF x 2 + P. I'm trying to stop this habit though, since some characters actually end up having some sorta move that comes out instead if you overdo the motion.
I have a very bad habit of motioning moves sloppily. If it's qcb,qcb or qcf,qcf, more often than not I tend to motion hcb/hcf twice instead. For dp/rdp motion, I tend to do f,d,qcf or b,d,qcb instead. No big deal, except in certain games where the dp/rdp command needs to be accurate or it overlaps with a qcf/qcb move instead, like Moriya's teleport in NGBC or Ky's Vapor Thrust in GGXX Slash.
Last edited by Tel on Tue Aug 22, 2006 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Tue Aug 22, 2006 02:37

Depending on the situation you can get away with sloppyness. I know personally for hcb, f DM's that are cancelled into I always do the motion as a 360. Ironically it is a lot more consistant than actually doing the motion normally.

inuko
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by inuko » Tue Aug 22, 2006 03:38

Pre-Match
Once Leaders and order is all set up, if using characters I'm not particularly great at, I run through the combo a few times and talk to myself to "Do this or do that at so and so time."

If I'm starting with someone I know fairly well, I just twitch the joystick in a hopping-forward motion.

During Match
Spaz. I spaz a lot. And curse and yell. x_x I'm too vulgar, but it entertains people. I'm developing the tendency to start inputting (more like spamming) moves during some combos in the hopes that a mistake will be made.

After Match
If I win, throw my hands in the air. YEAHHH! kind of thing.

If I lose, hit the console a few times :|

I also tend to try and color coordinate my team :D I like busting out the Psycho Soldiers team all in red just because they look pretty :3

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Tue Aug 22, 2006 14:01

Slapper Joe wrote:Depending on the situation you can get away with sloppyness. I know personally for hcb, f DM's that are cancelled into I always do the motion as a 360. Ironically it is a lot more consistant than actually doing the motion normally.
Yeah, I tend to do that in GGXX for some reason, though not in KOF. Especially when I'm trying to pull a Potemkin Buster. Although some hcb,f Overdrives in GGXX require accurate motioning, like Johnny and Eddie/Zato's. Rather weird actually, when the other characters are very fogiving in their commands.

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Tue Aug 22, 2006 17:57

HAHA! I think most people have even more habits than they actually notice :D

I've many myself.

When I'm nervous (in heavy tournament matches) I try to breath slowly for getting more relaxed before the match begins.

After a match or after a round I sometimes wipe my fingers dry (from sweat) on my clothes :p. Particularly when playing REALLY intensive matches.

When have a successful match or when having hit a big combo I sometimes nod my head in for an ego boost :)

When I'm "on fire" (meaning I've got an overall good going) I tend to lighten up and drum buttons in excitement between rounds or matches. The joystick wiggling and 360° spinning is normal, too :)

I also know people who are entirely motion and expressionless while playing. Hhehe :D

I'm also familiar with players rapidly mashing motions for interrupting someone who comboes you. Particularly there is one good KoF player in Germany who is way too successful with 2k2-Vice's hcf+P grab mashing..... x_x

Some people else mash dragon punches to knock you away if you screw up during comboing them. :p

There are MANY more habits around!

--Blast

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Thu Aug 24, 2006 17:31

Some personal habits of mine:

When changing tokens (to plonk in the arcade machines for credits), in Singapore, I always change $2 worth of tokens at a time. That gives me 4 credits to play around with. Any more, and it feels as though I'm going to need those extra credits (i.e. I'm going to get my ass badly beaten). Any less, and it's too much of a bother for me to keep going back and forth between the counter and the machines.

During the loading screen, I tend to quickly run through opening strategies and habits of the opponent I've picked up, e.g. (And this is mainly for the SCORN crowd) against the player we've dubbed Sore Loser (who typically opens with Maxima), I'll think "3 main possibilities for opening: back hop (most probable), Vapor cannon (less probable), or Running Grab (seems to do it to me a lot less after I hopped forward on reaction into QSed Ace Combo). Also his Jazu will run up to you to spam stand e twice after you've been knocked down, so do moves with invulnerability to hit for counter damage". etc etc.

While actually fighting - I tend to hold forward all the time instead of leaving my stick in neutral, even while comboing. This actually doesn't seem like it's that bad an idea: for example, after a successful throw attempt with my Kyo, it's a pretty common strategy to try a hyper long jump cross over attempt. It's also a pretty common counter to try to roll instead of trying to guess if your opponent is going to cross over. What happens is then I try for the crossup, miss since the opponent is rolling, but then throw him since I'm pressing fwd C thinking that I'll just continue into my normal Kyo combo of C, fwd B blablabla. This resets the situation and I try for the crossup again.

Makashi_Menace
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Makashi_Menace » Tue Oct 17, 2006 15:44

I am the type of player who shows no expression when playing... Against strangers, of course.

When I play against friends, it's a different story altogether.

Gameplay wise, I tend to spam onto buttons more times than required... Eg When I perform Kyo's Qcf Dx2, I tend to press D 4 times instead.... Don't ask me why :LOL:

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Tue Oct 17, 2006 15:56

Makashi_Menace wrote:I am the type of player who shows no expression when playing... Against strangers, of course.

When I play against friends, it's a different story altogether.

Gameplay wise, I tend to spam onto buttons more times than required... Eg When I perform Kyo's Qcf Dx2, I tend to press D 4 times instead.... Don't ask me why :LOL:
Is that just for that move? What about the other Qcf moves? I have a similar friend that keep spamming D when he does kyo's Qcf D, D move. I have been telling him in so many versions, cause in some versions, it's better to delay the second D, but it's a habbit he cant help... weird...but his other qcf moves are alright..

Makashi_Menace
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Makashi_Menace » Tue Oct 17, 2006 20:00

Derrick wrote:Is that just for that move? What about the other Qcf moves? I have a similar friend that keep spamming D when he does kyo's Qcf D, D move. I have been telling him in so many versions, cause in some versions, it's better to delay the second D, but it's a habbit he cant help... weird...but his other qcf moves are alright..
Well, for Kyo's Wild Bite comboes, I do tap on the last button a couple of times... Eg Qcf A, Qcf A, B.... I tend to tap the B button a few times, but it never ever affected my comboes.

Regarding the Qcf Dx2 move for Kyo, I know that it is better to delay the 2nd D input in certain years, but then again, there are always decent options for Kyo to followup (without delaying the 2nd D input) every year, so my twitchy tapping for Kyo's comboes isn't posing a problem to me so far.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Sun Oct 22, 2006 01:44

Prematch: I rotate stick in 360 degree motion.
During match: When I finish a combo or a DM wihile I cant move character I again rotate stick. If someone does a good combo on me or a good strat I yell out "nice"
Match end: If I win I usually get up and give a big thumbs up to the opponent (If i know them of course), but if I lose I hit the cabinet a few times. I have short temper and I hate losing.