Malin (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Tue Apr 04, 2006 21:00

~!T.T!~ wrote:you can punish malin if you roll at the fwd B or her combo. i got counter hit by jazu's E and im sure other people can get a standing C combo.
This is provided the Malin player isn't smart enough to bait your forward roll. If she sees the forward roll coming (and she has a LOT of time to see it if you're counter rolling after her f + B) she can choose not to do her dp + K (is it dp + K or qcf + K? too lazy to check the mook) and smack you from the back while you're doing your counter roll with her pressure BnB string/combo/chain agen. IMO it's a 75/25 in her favor if she does this pressure string to you. Not worth it, just block it and worry about the next thing she's gonna do to ya.
and malin's jump attacks are overrated imo. jump E looks the shit for interrupting air to air, but does a half arsed job. Its more like a 50/50 gamble: will the opponent hit me first or not?
Her jump CD has her hitting you as a straight line. This is loosely similar to Ramon's old CD, you don't use it to beat someone at the peak of their jump with it, you use its insane speed (notice how it has almost zero startup) to beat them by jumping early with it. This is the same gamble you used to use as Ramon in 2k2 to beat someone in the air - you commit yourself to the jump the moment you throw it, but since it has godly priority, it was a DAMN good commit.
jump C is even worse. as a jump in, air to ground is good, but duck's jump D beats it clean. jump D, same thing, a little worse air to ground.

still, throwing a yoyo to bait kick super is so fun :)
The only thing the jump C has going for it is speed. Again very little startup, so to possibly beat someone in the air with it, do it first. Same for her jump D, except her jump D actually has a better chance since it hits forward instead of down. Hell if you looked at her jump B animation, it's okay air to air, very similar to Terry's jump B.

But then again, if you REALLY want godly air to air, you still have her air super. A bit more startup but it WILL stuff a jump.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Wed Apr 05, 2006 00:17

see, thing is that ramon's jump CD in 2k2 was pretty much made to be an anti-air. Malin's jump E has a lot more ground pressure properties as well, to compensate for its anti-air capabilities being not so good. If people like duck jump after me with his jump D, then i still get beat out. It's good to zone with, just try not to spam it too often.

Jump C/D, all the same. Really not reliable air-to-airs, although they make look like they would be. Priority just can't keep up with bullshit eiji and duck

oh yeah, does anyone here actually use crouching b, crouching a, qcf a XX qcfX2 B/D? i tend to find it useful for snuffing mistimed and misplaced jumpins

_KC_
Charging...80%
Charging...80%

Post by _KC_ » Wed Apr 05, 2006 03:29

after hitting with her LDM and the opponent does NOT recovery roll, do another LDM to OTG then bam, down!!!

so how do you guys use her directional AC...?

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:11

normally it's after i get a crouching b, crouching a, qcf A blocked, then i just drill away. tried using drills like 2k3.....worst thing u can do with her

erm, my advice is just dont......she's got so much more to work with anyway :P

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 23:31

Hmm, I guess her air to air is highly dependent upon the person you're fighting. But do take note that Duck's jump speed is almost as fast as Malin's - if he couldn't jump as quickly as that I'd doubt he'd be able to catch ya with his D.

This is a "duh" but all her ground normals are wtfawesome. They have shit range cos she's such a short little mofo, but she makes up for it with speed and priority. You can use her far D as an anti-Gato weapon because of its hit arc and the fact that she GETS OFF THE GROUND when she does it. This is very important because this keeps Gatos from hitting you with a jump in combo. (Gotta love how much they whore that dwn B x 2 + DM hit confirm). The worst they can do are jump Ds, and if they get lucky in the corner, a followup DM, but because Malin will float lower since she's practically off the ground to do it they'll have a very hard time juggling with it.

Guys, what button should I use as a meaty okizeme button? I find that neither her close std C or close std D are sufficient, nothing as reliable as Kyo, Iori or Clark's close Cs. Even when I jump in with a C it looks extremely risky because it they don't seem to create enough guardstun to make followup pressure strings on the ground completely safe.

Anyone got any ideas?

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sat Apr 08, 2006 03:24

stand c is good if you time it right. Since wakeups are slightly toned down from 2k2, you'll end up winning a lot anyway, except for anti-air wakeups and the like.....stand d, if you stick it out before they recover, nothing they can do except block or eat it :)

_KC_
Charging...80%
Charging...80%

Post by _KC_ » Mon Apr 17, 2006 04:19

how do you access malins white palette/costume or whatever you call it...

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Mon Apr 17, 2006 07:00

E+A: Light Pink top, white skirt
E+C: White top, pinky/blue skirt

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Wed May 31, 2006 12:10

IT'S HAMMER TIME!!! Played leader malin a bit today, and i must say it's pretty effective if you can judge anti-airs well, twitch super if you wanna call it.....

comboing it seems relatively easy as well since she can clearly OTG with it, so after kula's qcb A/C and things like that in the corner, it'll hit.....

btw i tried LDM after an air qcfX2 A/C DM....couldnt get it to hit. the opponent recovers too fast

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Thu Jun 01, 2006 17:51

I saw it in the vids that you can do the qcfx2+K DM into LDM. Very nice.

Malin's my leader now, but I'm using her for the LDM only, I still suck with her. -_-

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Fri Jun 02, 2006 17:25

You can only connect Hammer after air DM if the DM hits a jumping/hopping opponent.

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Sun Jun 11, 2006 07:56

When I was in Osaka I played with Malin once, and did this combo (she was my leader).

jump D, C, f+B, qcf+A, qcf,qcf+D, DC into qcf,qcf+E

The hit stun for qcf+A is greater than the recovery time for Malin, so she can land from qcf+A and hit qcf,qcf+K with little effort (requires you to press K immediately when landing in order to hit), plus the qcf,qcf+E makes this combo do more than 60% damage.

It does need 2 skill stocks (I'm not sure if landing from qcf+A then qcf,qcf+K counts as a super cancel but I think it does) and three power stocks.

"after hitting with her LDM and the opponent does NOT recovery roll, do another LDM to OTG then bam, down!!!"

Actually, the Mizuchi, I think, sends the opponent into the air spinning. Whenever this happens, they can't recovery roll. I'm not sure if they spin, though... can someone verify?

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:48

the kick super to LDM counts as a dream cancel, yes

and it is confirmed that youcan tech from her LDM, so 2 LDMs back to back is not guaranteed. It only hits if they dont tech roll

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Sun Jun 11, 2006 20:04

Thanks.

Actually what I wanted to know is if the qcf+A into qcf,qcf+K counter as a super cancel, since technically it's performed after landing.

Good news on the tech roll from Mizuchi...

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 02:27

alexis wrote:Thanks.

Actually what I wanted to know is if the qcf+A into qcf,qcf+K counter as a super cancel, since technically it's performed after landing.

Good news on the tech roll from Mizuchi...
It is a super cancel. You're still in the recovery frames of the qcf + A when you go into the qcf x 2 + K, and hence it turns into a super cancel. Makes sense to me, though it looks a bit weird if you try to watch it.