Team Management

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 00:40

TT: Do you usually have contingency plans in the event that shit hits the fan and you lose your leader? Sometimes it happens. :(

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Tue Apr 11, 2006 07:39

Iie-Kyo wrote:TT: Do you usually have contingency plans in the event that shit hits the fan and you lose your leader? Sometimes it happens. :(
well, not really a plan, but actually........when i was playing DSV, basically if DL died, my contingency is actually QSing between shen and vanessa during their supers, especially if they have extra stocks in hand.....not really a contingency 'plan' as such, but it did get me through to some extent since their QS actually did really, really good damage. reason i stopped playing this team is although they're really good on the ground, ash absolutely owns them when he's in the air. only thing i had against his air to air bullshit was early shen jump B.....

but with Kula/Malin/Vanessa, it doesnt really matter if vanessa dies because i only ever get to set up for her infinite once in like, 5-10 matches....

but more in general, if you use a team that does emphasise on its leader (Oswald, Elisabeth, DL, Ryo maybe), it would be good if your last two characters could work equally well with each other or, even better, by themselves. Keep in mind that the added stock you can hold is actually a really, really good bonus

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:38

I definitely need to pick up some basics of team management. 2k3's team management was a little easier IMHO, and I just keep forgetting to use the Quick/Saving Shifts or tag out when I get the chance except in very obvious situations.

I value my team leader, but I don't try to build my game around the leader. I'd rather be decent with my entire team I can afford to switch leaders between matches.

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Tue Apr 11, 2006 17:08

Today's randomizer once gave me ...

Sho Hayate (finally unlocked and I think he sucks)
Ralf
Gai Tendo

I was like OMG who do I put as leader???????????

About contingency plans...I don't really like those 1hit 50-60% dmg LDMs so if given a choice I usually give it someone who can work with the Leader in a combo (eg if I get Ash and Malin...I usually let Ash be the leader, if I get gato/vanessa, I put leader vanessa), so even if they somehow die , I just try to do standard QS combos aimed at stunning the opponent.

One thing I notice, a lot of people tend to forget that having 2 skill stocks = stun combo for nearly any combination of characters ... they tend to use a combo which ends in a DM then QS another character in for yet another DM, then QS again for yet ONE more DM.....instead of simply doing a combo which could have stunned the opponent (and saving lots of stocks).

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Tue Apr 11, 2006 18:11

J]-[UN wrote:Today's randomizer once gave me ...

Sho Hayate (finally unlocked and I think he sucks)
Ralf
Gai Tendo

I was like OMG who do I put as leader???????????
That's easy. Sho dude... Sho. Easy hit confirmable into wire juggle into LDM.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Wed Apr 12, 2006 16:56

J]-[UN wrote: One thing I notice, a lot of people tend to forget that having 2 skill stocks = stun combo for nearly any combination of characters ... they tend to use a combo which ends in a DM then QS another character in for yet another DM, then QS again for yet ONE more DM.....instead of simply doing a combo which could have stunned the opponent (and saving lots of stocks).
Actually you are right. Although I am starting to practice more of double QS combos, there are times that I wonder whether I can land it often or not in a match. It could be because I go more for max damage rather than stun. The fact that I feel, more movements = more chances to screw up does not help either.

For now, if the opponent has 2 skill stocks, I don't go for my LDM combo so learning another aspect of the game is very very rewarding.

2 skill stocks are hard to accumulate for me since I QS and SS too much. XD

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Thu Apr 13, 2006 05:18

The general playing style here (against me anyway) is run away and turtle or
repeatedly vertical hops with characters like clark/kim/gato spamming C/D...
so there are some times when I always have 2 skill stocks T_T, especially since its another 10-15 seconds trying to land a combo after they save shifted out of a previous one.

About more movements raising the possibility of making a mistake...though thats true for certain characters with low hitstun (like Duck fwdC, then tagging in Oswald , or if the opponent is too near your side of the screen) most characters have a decent hit stun move and a good air to ground attack so it shouldn't be hard to miss (I guess ?_?)

I tend to avoid doing SCs cos....I like big combos! :D (And I don't find the extra 1 hit worth that skill stock too...I'd rather just QS someone in during the DM)